• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Sevens - Gold Coast 7's - 13/14 October

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

australia is just shit at this sport. IMO cut 'em loose from funding from ARU and pretending to be a part of real rugby - if they are good enough stand on their own.
Australia until recently hasn't contributed much funding or resources to 7's... RSA, England, NZ have had dedicated systems with professional players for years.. Heck, even Kenya places a greater emphasis on 7's then Australia does..

Given all that, Australia has managed to remain competitive and even win some tournaments ...

churchills cigar

Peter Burge (5)
The ARU is there essentially for the Wallabies , whether they first or 15th
Sevens is a separate and different game - there may be able to be some cross pollination
some people seem to think sevens will be the saviour of rugby - IMO the numbers at the Gold Coast were poor[/

So did you attend at all or sit comfortably on the couch.
If you are local (I don't know if you are) and are a rugby fan and didn't have a viable excuse, then you might be part of the problem, lethargy and dismissive, typical of Gold Coast society.

Really, come on, the numbers aren't your real reason for you saying we are hopeless is it, after all, how are the numbers related to our teams performance. Relevance to the point in issue.

I can’t fathom how many levels your comments are either wrong, inappropriate or just plain offensive to the average rugby fan. On reading the vision statement of the ARU not once does it even refer to Wallabies and sevens, it’s about Rugby and sevens is an integral part of Australian Rugby.

Currently there are 6 ARU sanctioned teams at international level, all none more deserving than the other. Yes the flagship is the Wallabies, yet they all play a role in the development of rugby in Australia.

For those that focus on sevens, good luck to them. It might be their niche, Others have Wallaby aspiration, good on them, and the Womens’ teams are out performing the mens’; well on your analysis they should get the bulk of the finding, wait, they are not Wallabies so let’s cut them loose as well.

W

What2040

If Sevens were that great Skilled Park would have been full from locals, interstate species and overseas enthusiasts. It only holds about 26,000 (I think) It wasn't anywhere near full - fact.

Believe it or not I would have attended if not interstate. I think the ARU was formed prior to Sevens so of course the vision statement wouldn't reflect the advent of the new game.

If you love sevens, fantastic, thats your perogative. I am just about the core business of the ARU, the Wallabies, the Franchises, Competition at all levels in city and country regions whether seniors, schools or juniors

churchills cigar

Peter Burge (5)
That vision statement was actually from LAST YEARS ARU annual report, so it seems the ARU has evolved in that regard. ARU business now encompasses all forms of the game, not just the 15 a side version. At least they recognise the importance of diversification and catering to various tastes.
50 odd years ago there were similar grumblings from the cricket puritans, now one day and 20/20 cricket probably attract more crowds than does test cricket.
I'm sorry you don't see the value in seven a side. I wonder what Moraghan, O'Connor, Beale, Ioani, Mitchell, Lance, Phipps to name but a few of the current Wallabies would feel, we'll we certainly know where Mozza stands. Many of the current Wallabies have also stuck their hand up to play in the Olympics, sacrificing up to two years of Wallaby and Super representation to do so. So they can't be too dissatisfied with sevens rugby.

So if the players embrace the game, what exactly is holding you back. We all know sevens is for a select band of players, no argument there, so some people may fell left out, such as props, some flankers etc. sorry, but that's the price for playing a fitter and faster version of the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't understand why it's not in Sydney or Brisbane, it would be a sell out for both days.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Send it back to Adelaide. That was the only Rugby the poor bastards got (internationally anyway).

As a resident of Adelaide, exiled here for my sins :), I heartily endorse that comment!

Anywhere I go socially, the one subject I can always guarantee will dominate 50% of the conversation is AFbloodyL.

D

daz

As a resident of Adelaide, exiled here for my sins :), I heartily endorse that comment!

Anywhere I go socially, the one subject I can always guarantee will dominate 50% of the conversation is AFbloodyL.

The other 50% is about how cool mullets are on blokes of all ages.

W

What2040

That vision statement was actually from LAST YEARS ARU annual report, so it seems the ARU has evolved in that regard. ARU business now encompasses all forms of the game, not just the 15 a side version. At least they recognise the importance of diversification and catering to various tastes.
50 odd years ago there were similar grumblings from the cricket puritans, now one day and 20/20 cricket probably attract more crowds than does test cricket.
I'm sorry you don't see the value in seven a side. I wonder what Moraghan, O'Connor, Beale, Ioani, Mitchell, Lance, Phipps to name but a few of the current Wallabies would feel, we'll we certainly know where Mozza stands. Many of the current Wallabies have also stuck their hand up to play in the Olympics, sacrificing up to two years of Wallaby and Super representation to do so. So they can't be too dissatisfied with sevens rugby.

So if the players embrace the game, what exactly is holding you back. We all know sevens is for a select band of players, no argument there, so some people may fell left out, such as props, some flankers etc. sorry, but that's the price for playing a fitter and faster version of the game.

Yep understand that some Wallabies would put their hand up to play in Olympics - cannot blame them at all - but I don't know if they would sacrifice $300- $1m to do so - there is no guarantee of a gold medal here, just the opportunity of having a crack at one. Reckon they would be pissed off if can 4th.

Having said that I do see value in sevens and understand the excitment etc etc - but still am of the belief that it should be able to financially stand alone. Just my opinion

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i reckon you'll only see the wallabies that can afford to do it. JOC (James O'Connor) would be on enough money to take a 6 month break to gear up for 7s. ditto maybe quade. i'd doubt KB (Kurtley Beale) would ever have the fitness for it.
hooper could be solid and if he's on enough money by then, you'd have to think he is a chance.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If they have to take a year off the 15 a side version I doubt we will see any regular wallabies in the sevens squad.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
We went down, 5 of us all dressed up! One of the funniest things I saw was Pac-Man being chased around the stands by one of the ghosts! Classic!

We drove down from Brissey, left home at 09:30 and got home almost 12 hrs later! Long day but every one us would go again next weekend if it was on, and will be back again next year with more mates who didn't make it! Last year there were only 2 of us this year 5.

I still think there needs to be a alot more marketing and publicity, they should drop ticket prices until they get a sellout one year to promote the game.

I had a work mate who knows zip about rugby, go along because his mate was given two tickets. He had such a good time he's already penciled it in for next year!

Don't take it away we're only getting started..

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

You must be in therapy - I would be ;)

PinkRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
We went down, 5 of us all dressed up! One of the funniest things I saw was Pac-Man being chased around the stands by one of the ghosts! Classic!

We drove down from Brissey, left home at 09:30 and got home almost 12 hrs later! Long day but every one us would go again next weekend if it was on, and will be back again next year with more mates who didn't make it! Last year there were only 2 of us this year 5.

I still think there needs to be a alot more marketing and publicity, they should drop ticket prices until they get a sellout one year to promote the game.

I had a work mate who knows zip about rugby, go along because his mate was given two tickets. He had such a good time he's already penciled it in for next year!

Don't take it away we're only getting started..
I agree they need to reduce the prices to get more people going. Paying $50 to go one day is quite expensive if you are trying to build an audience. I went to the London 7s in 2011 and paid less than £20 for one day which is about $30 on current exchange rates....

Perhaps they need to get a naming rights sponsor for the event too..

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Agreed - London has been great was also there a few years ago. They have a BIG stadium though! Last year - if memory serves - they had just over 110k over both days! That's a lot of people and the stadium still wasn't full..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PinkRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
HSBC sponsor the 7s the whole world series but some of the legs have naming rights on the events. Hong Kong is the Cathay Pacific/HSBC HK 7s, London is the Marriot London 7s, Dubai is the Emirates Airline Dubai Rugby Sevens, South Africa is Nelson Mandela Bay SA Sevens etc.

Just did a bit of research and it looks like it's only Aus, USA and Japan that don't have naming rights sponsors...

Status
Not open for further replies.