• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I may be grasping at straws, but I wonder whether Gaffney's DOR duties plus Cheika's use of him as a second set of eyes, somewhat independent of the detailed coaching, means he will not be loaded up with all the attacking responsibilities? Or maybe its a sign that we will do a lot of attacking off first phase? Its a worry though. I would not have thought there were a lot of uncommitted top class attack coaches roaming around Shute.

Anyone got any good suggestions?
They passed over the best in the business. Attack coach with the Bulls when they first won the Super title in 2007. Attack coach with the Waratahs when they made the Final in 2008. Todd Louden. Can't get a gig in this country. Perhaps too much of a threat.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'm still available.

Louden would be a great addition although I believe he may have retired to the hunter if I'm not mistaken.

Tim Lane is apparantly in the running for a position.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
They passed over the best in the business. Attack coach with the Bulls when they first won the Super title in 2007. Attack coach with the Waratahs when they made the Final in 2008. Todd Louden. Can't get a gig in this country. Perhaps too much of a threat.

I'd take Louden back in a heartbeat given how we played that year, but I had assumed that the bad history would have precluded him from a spot.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I'd take Louden back in a heartbeat given how we played that year, but I had assumed that the bad history would have precluded him from a spot.
I would have thought if he had bad blood in 2008 then he would be very accepted now....with the changes this year...no?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have gone with General George Patton or General Douglas Macarthur to lead the Waratahs attack, but sadly both of them have passed away.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I would have gone with General George Patton or General Douglas Macarthur to lead the Waratahs attack, but sadly both of them have passed away.

.... as have Robert E Lee and Thomas J Jackson (called "Stonewall", but was anything but.)

They could manoeuvre around stubborn defences.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
fingers crossed Hooper & Mitchell stay fit and our attack will improve 4000% on this years.

we still lack a genuine player with the so called "x" factor. losing Burgess & kurtley in the same year really ripped the attack out of the tahs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think that is Foley.

His ability to break the line and to offload is pretty much all the x-factor we need.

I don't think massive changes are required to make the Tahs backline work.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree. I still think he has a ton of potential.

The biggest thing he needs to learn is that he is never going to beat his opposite number on the outside. It isn't Under 12s anymore when he can just run around his opponent because he is much better and faster than they are.

He's fast enough, strong enough and is an excellent defender. He really just needs to learn his trade better.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To be fair, there has not been a 10 with a long ball, so he has been reliant on TC putting him in a hole.
I don't think even TC's mum would think that is a feature of his game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To be fair, there has not been a 10 with a long ball, so he has been reliant on TC putting him in a hole.
I don't think even TC's mum would think that is a feature of his game.

Long balls are an abomination, Larkham was the variant, not the norm. For the standard 10 all it does is take away the space because of a shitty lobby pass

Just get the backs to run straight, draw and pass through the hands at contact.

and each the supporting players about depth and running lines to create decent options for the ball carrier.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The long ball is over used on occasions, but any player who throws the "harbour bridge" should not be a ball player.
I agree that the ball carrier needs options, but if the defence knows that the 10 can't or won't throw long, they will squeeze in and cover each of the support players.
Look at all the tries where the short ball works. it's because one of the defenders was worried about the cut pass to the overs runner and stays out to cover that option.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
The fact that a wallaby backline player played all his junior rugby at 10 is not surprising either: theres a fair chance that he would have been the standout in every team he played in (which was certainly true of Beale). Even Drew Mitchell was a 10 as a kid from what i have read on here.

so was rob horne at one stage too

Status
Not open for further replies.