• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for quality Rugby journalism???

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Bruce, I'm battling on a Sunday morning. Others might beat me in the spot Dave Dennis comp. However, there is a bloke in a Wallabies top in the photo who does bear some resemblance to Cadeyrn Neville or am I off with the pixies?

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I thought this was a pretty good analysis of last week's game against SA and their apparent weaknesses:

"The former Bulls supremo appears to have taken that template from his seven-year stint and rubber-stamped it as a Bok method too.
There is growing agitation about this in South Africa and concern that Meyer has not found his way clear of the methods he last used extensively in the Republic in 2007.
At the centre of the tension is Meyer's gameplan and reliance on Morne Steyn as his first five-eighths.
The pair go back some way and Meyer knows what Steyn can bring to a side, while many senior players appreciate their colleague's test-match attributes.
But they are traits of yesteryear, even in South Africa where howitzer up-and-unders have been king. There are younger men - such as Johan Goosen or Patrick Lambie, who are with the side, and Elton Jantjies - who have brought much more enterprise.
Out wide there is plenty of pace and skill in South Africa but getting the ball to them to display those merits has been the issue. Possession gets stifled or kicked away, the outside backs become chasers"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10833861

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Great moments in rugby commentary

"plays in the English Premiership in the UK for Exeter" - Tim Horan, removing any doubt as to which England he is referring to.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well spotted but be fair Bruce, Mr Horan was indeed removing doubt. International sport can be a confusing landscape at times.

G&GR has a large number of cycling literate readers. The Tour de France sometimes has stages in other countries such that it is "Tour de France and surrounds".

The Australian Footbal League is intending to play an ANZAC day game in New Zealand next year.

An inner Melbourne Club Team in aforesaid AFL, Hawthorn, is sponsored by Tasmania.

Chelsea is owned by the Russians.

What about the Wellington Phoenix playing in the Australian A League diveball competition? "Jones plays in the Australian A League in Australia for Sydney Flames" or "Smith plays in the Australian A League in New Zealand for the Wellington Phoenix".

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Belgium and Nepal are ideal places - none of their Journos ever pretend they know a dicky bird about the game, where as out trollopes think they know it all but probably know less than the laddos in Brussels and Kathmandu!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe Horan thought the competition was named after the language everyone spoke.

A possible conclusion from Mr Horan, but slightly in error as Wikipedia tells us that Frenchman Sebastien "Chabal has played rugby union at the highest level for over ten years and has won the English Premiership with Sale"...

I guess M. Chabel understands English, which would probably qualify him for the Horan criteria.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I was reading back through some of Growden's old articles. In his July 27 2012 column he spoke about what was going on at the Force, the Waratahs as well as the ARU. In hindsight some are correct, some aren’t, but it makes you think, perhaps he did know what was going on.

As NSW coach Michael Foley keeps a foot in both camps, with the word still strong he will be forced to leave or depart to Perth on a three-year deal.
At the Force, a new coaching candidate has emerged from left field - Queenslander Steve Meehan, who was recently coaching Bath. We hear Meehan and Force officials are expected to meet today.

Rumblings at ARU board level with several directors working behind the scenes to restrict the power of head honcho John O'Neill.

Wallabies captain David Pocock is expected to decide tomorrow whether he is off to the Brumbies or stay at the Western Force. The Brumbies should feel confident, especially as Force officials have badly bungled their recent head coach negotiations.

Strong mail Waratahs utility Daniel Halangahu could soon be playing in Italy with Parma

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/tahs-officials-make-farce-first-stop-on-itinerary-20120726-22v4x.html#ixzz2AB9MLffy

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Speaking of rumours. If i witnessed a certain player somewhere with someone and it could lead to a story with a journo. Who would could i tell and could i get a nice case of beer out of it?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Former Wallaby David Campese has been criticised for questioning Fairfax Media for having a female journalist cover rugby union.
"Why does the smh get a girl to write about rugby," Campese posted on Twitter. "[Former Fairfax Media rugby union journalist Greg] Growden who was great jornio (sic) and now we have someone who has no idea about the game."

Campo, campo, campo.

First time Wendall Sailor and I are in Agreement.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...eates-storm-20121128-2ad1u.html#ixzz2DTiEsHAy

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Was about to post on that, p.Tah.

Fucking shit form. Even leaving aside the sexism, Robinson is just flat-out better than Grumbles was in his latter days.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Under Burkey's Law of not being able to comment on the games unless you played at that level, Campo's criticism stands up.

But no, terrible form. I like Robinson, I find her pretty balanced and knowledgable. So is Alana Smith on foxsports. Totally out of line, Campo