• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Who actually "hates" a player? I find this notion odd. It also is an easy way to dismiss any valid criticism of something they did or said as being born of some pathological loathing, apparently based on their geographic position relative to a watercourse.
I think Cooper is a valuable asset for Qld and Oz. At his best, I like watching him play, at his worst I shut my eyes sometimes. When he had his say, I didn't like what he said or how he said it really. I think he should be sanctioned for it in some way.
That's not hate, it's a reasoned position that's not entirely favourable.

I agree with some of what you say. However, some of the vilification of players is so over the top that it is hard not to assign the word hate. There are some players who can do no right in the eyes of certain fans. Quade Cooper certainly being one.

But it is not confined to him - the level of vitriol directed at the likes of Gregan, Gitaeu, Elsom, Carter & Horne amongst others has gone way beyond valid criticism at times. I don't think the description 'pathological loathing' would have been out of place at times.

Likewise, I find it strange that some seem to have the view 'this is my opinion and if you don't agree you must be stupid'.

I like a good healthy rival as much as the next person, but some of the opinions expressed about players go beyond valid criticism.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No, and no.

I didn't ask any questions, and I certainly didn't ask you any, as I can't be bothered having having a one way conversation with someone who clearly lacks the respect to put more than three words into their response. Go and talk to someone else.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Whats a good result with QC (Quade Cooper)'s hearing?
I think the ARU will get slammed unless he gets a meaningful penalty.
But the Reds will threaten to secede if the penalty leads to QC (Quade Cooper) walking away.
Any thoughts on how they should handle it?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, I think the first thing which is a necessity is a very public, unequivocal apology to the players, Deans, ARU, fans etc in which he retracts his previous statements.

I assume his ARU top up is probably not as good as what they were offering six months ago? Regardless, some kind of fine or hefty payment to charity.

I doubt he will or should be suspended from any test duties, particularly as he won't be available (if selected) until the Lions tour. But if they wanted to punish him hard maybe they could suspend him for x number of Super Rugby matches?

But I think all that is necessary will be financial punishment, and a big shaming.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Except for not playing for the Wallabies he didn't say anything I didn't believe to be true. And hollow apologies are pointless.

Sent using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But the comments he made about teammates and the coach were highly inappropriate.

I assume the ARU would be seeking some kind of retraction from his comments if he wants to continue being a part of Australian rugby.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What is said was that he didn't say anything I didn't believe to be true. If he still thinks it's true what is the point of an apology he doesn't believe in? It certainly won't change anyone's opinion of him. If he's just going through the motions it's pointless

Sent using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What is said was that he didn't say anything I didn't believe to be true. If he still thinks it's true what is the point of an apology he doesn't believe in? It certainly won't change anyone's opinion of him. If he's just going through the motions it's pointless

Sent using Tapatalk
Its not actually about whether any of us believe it to be true. Its about what he believes.
If he came out and said "I'm a goose, I spent my formative years in NZ. I was chidish and pissed off and out of line" that would be a worthy apology.
If none of thats true then I agree: he shouldn't apologise.
But because this is all about face saving he probably will and all will be forgiven - until his next transgression.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

Sent using Tapatalk

If He believes everything he said over the period then he wants to play league,he wants to play with his Bro Sonny & the wallabies are destroying him professionally & personnally. (I will leave off the wouldn't play if selected due to how nervous he was, apparantly)

If you believe what he said and he believes what he said to be true then regardless of public opinion,Quade should walk and do what's right for him. Back peddling is only going to cause him more pain.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
But the comments he made about teammates and the coach were highly inappropriate.

I assume the ARU would be seeking some kind of retraction from his comments if he wants to continue being a part of Australian rugby.

And what exactly did he say about his teammates?

Just curious. . .

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well, I think the first thing which is a necessity is a very public, unequivocal apology to the players, Deans, ARU, fans etc in which he retracts his previous statements.

I actually prefer public figures to say nothing rather than apologise, because quite frankly most of them don't appear to mean it. They're generally not sorry about their actions, just that they got caught. This is especially true of boofhead sportsmen.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
ignoring half of what he said to make your point doesn't do you justice.

I used the parts that ad up to him not wanting to play. I know he said he likes QLD. That wasn't part of my point though. If he believes the things he said then he surely doesn't want to be involved in the wallaby set up. Therefore the ARU shouldn't pay him for it. If he doesn't believe them, he should take responsability for his actions,from his own mouth, not Jim's or links.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I actually prefer public figures to say nothing rather than apologise, because quite frankly most of them don't appear to mean it. They're generally not sorry about their actions, just that they got caught. This is especially true of boofhead sportsmen.
I quite agree.
If he apologised, I would have a hard time being convinced it was heartfelt, and not "required contrition". That said, I am sure he is "sorry" about how it all panned out, and probably would choose to say it differently, given another chance. I've said and done plenty of stupid things I can't take back.
I think some sort of sanction needs to be applied if the ARU really feel he has breached a code of conduct.
A fine donated to charity for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.