• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Our Centre Partnership - Moving Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

randalf8

I'd like JOC (James O'Connor) at 13. I haven't seen an in-and-away like the one in that clip for a long time (in gold). I've been saying this for a while but it usually draws a negative reaction as people seem desperate to throw on the 10 or 12 jerseys.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been tried at 12 before with what I thought was very little success. With respect to him playing 13 I don't think he passes the ball often enough.

With he current availability list I would probably like on EOTY:

Beale 10 McCabe 12 JOC (James O'Connor) 13 Digby 11 Shipperly 14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15.

Beale has been kak lately but we are not long on options

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I can't agree, Torn Hammy. JOC (James O'Connor)'s highlights reel is full of great last passes - although they've been mainly at close quarters. But that's often how a 13's last pass works as well.

I've always thought that a quality 13 instintively plays a two on two with his winger. Promoting a break at 13 under the pressure of test rugby is tough and both Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have struggled without much joy, so for some time I have been saying I like the idea of JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 outside Inman.

My ambivalence stems from the fact that we are converting one of the world's great wingers rather than choosing from a crowd of young guys who have been playing 13 since their U6 days. It's a gamble that might work, but my gut feeling is that it will just be ok and nothing special.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I can't agree, Torn Hammy. JOC (James O'Connor)'s highlights reel is full of great last passes - although they've been mainly at close quarters. But that's often how a 13's last pass works as well.

My nickname at 13 was "the last pass man."

Sure, I coined it myself to explain my lack of tries, but still.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
And by the way, the 13's last pass can be to the 12, 15 or a loose forward just as often. It doesn't always have to go side to side.

P

Paradox

Mate, were talking about the Wallabies. Not the Brumbies pre-season midfield.

Yeah it would be outrageous to select to blokes who carved up their opposition this year and make their tackles. Tomane at 13 will work. Oh wait, let me guess your pushing for the unproven Taps as well? And JOC (James O'Connor) at 13? Clearly it's ok for you to speculate o_O

P

Paradox

And by the way, the 13's last pass can be to the 12, 15 or a loose forward just as often. It doesn't always have to go side to side.
Would be nice to see a 15 chime into the line in attack. Mogg did this well this year but needs to work on other parts of his game.

T

tranquility

Yeah it would be outrageous to select to blokes who carved up their opposition this year and make their tackles. Tomane at 13 will work. Oh wait, let me guess your pushing for the unproven Taps as well? And JOC (James O'Connor) at 13? Clearly it's ok for you to speculate o_O

Fair suck of the Sav.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
People criticise Horne's attacking game so much yet he still scored a modest 4 tries in 2012 for the Tahs.

Cummins scored three tries during 2012.

I find it interesting how much people talk up Inman as being the next big thing. He didn't score a single try during 2012.

All three of those sides struggled to score tries and had average backlines (the Rebels probably had the best backline at times when JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) were fit).

So far I would say that McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are the only centres that have really had an impact at test level. Horne and Fainga'a have been reasonable but struggle to have much impact in attack. Horne has certainly had more impact than Fainga'a.

I don't subscribe to the premise that guys like Cummins and Inman who don't do anything exceptional in Super Rugby will suddenly become better attacking options at test level.

Tapuai is the great unknown in that he is a fantastic talent but needs to put himself in contention at the right time. 2012 could have been his year to become a Wallaby regular but he was injured at the wrong time. 2013 could be anything for him, but I'd say he still starts the 2013 season down the pecking order.
As I said. Inman and cummins need to have a big super year.
As I think they have heaps of potential. Nothing about being test centers and being the answer

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Honestly, I hope Fainga'a slides out of the 22. McCabe, is starting to grow into the 12 spot and as long as Deans is coach will stay there. Personally I would like to see the Reds run a 12/13 of Tapuai and Morahan, if Morahans form at 13 on the weekend is anything to go by, he could be an exciting prospect in the position. I would like to see JOC (James O'Connor) get a run at 13 on the spring tour, but I think ultimately, he might be a good choice at 15 for the Wallabies.
The problem is, there is no talk between the S15 franchices and National team to make a coordinated effort. We have players playing in one position at S15 level, then being asked to play in a different position at National level. We then wonder why we struggle to beat the All lLacks and play with consistency, when we put up a team with guys out of their natural position, who end up being schooled by players who are the best in their country in their position.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I put this out there at the start of the RC (as did a few others) and was told it will never work. An ok Australia A combo but a Wallabies combo its not.

After the weekends game I thought I would give it another go. With AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not getting any younger how do we feel about a Taps/Cummins 12/13 combo moving forward?

The backline at the next WC could look something like this

9 Genia
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Digby
12 Taps
13 Cummins
14 Shipperly/Tomane
15 Beale

Thoughts

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When JOC (James O'Connor) comes back I'd still be looking at him on the wing rather than at 10. I like Beale at 10 and I like Barnes at 15.

I think 13 is the most contentious spot at the moment. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is solid but would seem to be a couple of years past his best. Cummins, McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne and possibly others could all be pushing for the 13 jersey for the Lions Tour.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe JOC (James O'Connor) for 13? Cummins at 13 all depends on where he plays for the force as they have signed some handy centres for next season.

Beale shoudl return to fullback

BEale in form @ 15>Beale in form @ 10

Lealifano 2012 > every other candidate

so hopefully he makes a solid return from injury

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
If Deans survives through to the Lions tour there is virtually zero chance Lilo will be 10.

It'll be Beale if Deans is there, Quade if it's Link.

JOC (James O'Connor) and Taps in the centres for mine.

Digby/Mitchell/Badger/Shipperly/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wings. Just depends who's fit.

Barnes will stay first choice 15, I reckon.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
if Lealifano has another stella season then I say he should be first picked, put Beale back at fullback where he belongs. Now that he has confidence and is fully fit, I can see him being a world-class fullback again, as opposed to a "good" flyhalf.

For the Lions:

9. Genia
10. Lealifano
11. Digby
12. Taps
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
if Lealifano has another stella season then I say he should be first picked, put Beale back at fullback where he belongs. Now that he has confidence and is fully fit, I can see him being a world-class fullback again, as opposed to a "good" flyhalf.

For the Lions:

9. Genia
10. Lealifano
11. Digby
12. Taps
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

Totally agree. JOC (James O'Connor) to takes the kicks. Backs bench of White, Barnes & Cummins.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The positive thing about this discussion is with a load of units back and healthy, the bench starts to look like it will actually make a contribution and stop being injury cover - and that is something Aus hasn't had for 18 months

Status
Not open for further replies.