• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Italy - 25th Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
1, Robinson
2, Moore
3, Alexander
4, Timani
5, Sharpe
6, Dennis
7, Hooper
8, Samo
9, Phipps
10, Beale
11, Mitchell
12, Tapuai
13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14, HB
15, Barnes

16, Hanson
17, Slipper
18, Ryan
19, Douglas (if he's available)
20, Pocock
21, Sheehan
22, Fainga'a
23, Harris

I'd rest Palu, Ioane and TPN. Let them recharge for the Welsh game. Otherwise I wouldn't tinker with the team. Then, depending on how we're fairing id like to see Hanson and Ryan given some game time. I'd like to see Pocock brought on at half time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does Palu need resting? He had a massive break up till the Suncorp test. Ioane missed the French and Suncorp game, doesn't need a rest at all.

Why isn't Higgers playing?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Ioane still looks less than 100% to me.

Palu is one of the most senior players in our squad. I think his work load need to be managed well over the next 2 years if we are going to getting the most out of him. That means not playing him in every game. I dont think he necessarily needs the rest, but it makes sense to rotate to players. Samo is an able replacement

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Palu just got more minutes and made more impact than he has in years, he has to stay. Do you really think Mitchell is going to be fitter than Ioane? Mitchell has hardly played all year and was lucky to make the tour.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
After watching the Wallabies train in Florence, Bret Harris says here that Pocock does not look likely to play. Interestingly, he also says Mitchell and Sheehan were included in most of the drills.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Badger must play or there'll be a haul pack load of manure deposited on the door step at St Leonards. The Cock can come back via the bench, Hooper deserves to be rewarded for his stellar season. We'll also need to play our best and hardest pack against the Italians. The effort will need to be every bit as good as it was against the Poms, because these guys are no mugs.

In fact, I would play more or less the same team as at Twickers, but with Moore and Sheehan starting.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
After watching the Wallabies train in Florence Mitchell and Sheehan were included in most of the drills.

Really hope Sheehan gets a go. Must be a bit depressing sitting on the bench for 80 minutes behind a guy the media labled 'probably the worst halfback australia has ever fielded'...

Apart from phipps - we need to stick with the same backline so they can gel a bit and hopefully cut italy up before putting wales' year of misery to bed. Mitchell does not deserve to take any of these guys spots.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not saying he does but there's no need to pick a 1st XV against Italy. I'm not disrespecting them, we should pick our best tight 5. We need to see who our best wingers are for Wales and we don't know how well Mitchell is going atm with 10 mins off the bench.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the Wallabies need to pick their best 15 for every test. It's not like we are the AB's who can change their team each week and still smash the opposition. We struggle to beat teams when we pick the same guys each week.
I don't see the logic in resting young guys who have been playing well on an end of season tour. Make guys earn their way back into the team. Hooper and Cummins have exceeded expectation in the games they have played this year and a message needs to be sent to the squad that if you are the incumbent and play well you will continue to get picked. Otherwise whats the incentive to preform if you get dropped after playing your best game for your country.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8567869

Link to an article discussing the likely team Mitchell is definitely starting with either cummins/Ioane to be dropped.

Phipps dropped for Sheehan Dennis dropped for Higgers.

Pretty strange selections in my opinion Dennis starts to hit form so we decide to drop him?

I know people have a bit of niggling injuries but most of them sounds pretty normal week to week type of niggles for pro athletes

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just because players aren't in the XV doesn't mean they're dropped. Did the ABs drop McCaw last game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Shmoo have been putting in extra training sessions to work on their partnership.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Just because players aren't in the XV doesn't mean they're dropped. Did the ABs drop McCaw last game?

Are we really that pedantic.....They have dropped out of the starting XV so yes they have been dropped.

On a side note you can't compare Richie McCaw's situation to Dave Dennis for the simple reason Richie McCaw = Probably Greatest Openside Ever and Dave Dennis = Wallaby Rookie

My point was it seems strange to bring in Higginbotham a wide running backrower at the expens eof the tighter playign Dennis who has just hit form.

Especially since its against the italians a team/course who's style of game would call for a player/horse of Dennis' mould

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I had a second look at the Dodgers game, and Dennis did really well, nothing flashy, but very effective in the tight stuff and the lineouts.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Very like his NSW work - just did stuff, not flashy. Not a bad thing. If Higgers just does stuff, but not silly stuff, and keeps a bit of flash, he could be very useful.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think the team should be selected with an eye on the Wales test. If that means that the result in Florence will be put at risk, then so be it; but it is better not to risk the result in Cardiff.

If the coach thinks that all his best guys can play both games without harmful effect, then that should happen. But if anybody has a niggle or Deans thinks a few that would otherwise start are pushing the envelope too much, he should rest them or play them from the bench.

TPN is a good example of somebody who should be rested - and for the whole match, at that. Hooper is another: the energiser bunny also has a niggle and with Pocock out I would start with Gill. Even if Hooper is 100% fit I would start Gill anyway as the single exception to what I wrote above. When will Deans get another chance to see him start in a test match?

Reports indicate that Sheehan is going to start against Italy. He had an excellent Super season in 2012 and having him running on would be another plus for the Wales game. If Phipps is crocked early in Cardiff you don't want his replacement to be underdone.

Cummins and Ioane (who seems to have practised his passing of late) are also less than 100% by all accounts; the fitter of them should start with Mitchell on the other wing. Getting an experienced test winger up to speed is thus another plus for Cardiff.

Sharpe, who is sore, should be rested also, but his is a special case and he will be starting the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.