• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hore's brain-fart

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
This thread is useless, it adds no value and I am really disappointed that it was even created

was just going to what you'd said but thanks mate :) If the mods wants this closed i won't lose any sleep on it.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Andrew Hore is a grub.

The seal-killing grub should be put out for a good long while.

I have to disagree with the 'grub' comments. The bloke has played 245 first class games, including 74 tests, and has never done anything else like this in his career. He's always played it hard and fair. Yes, this was a cheap shot and I don't think Hore himself would be able to explain what he was thinking at the time, and he'll cop a fair suspension for it. But to call him a grub after 12 seasons in first class rugby with one major incident is ridiculous. As for the 'seal-killing' bit, what relevance does that have to him as a rugby player?

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
The incident is a no-brainer, both within the act and the suspension that will get handed out. Although the citing officers and panels up north are as much of a lottery as down here during Super 15. Looking at recent Wales-AB matches Dan Carter got 1 week for a high tackle and the following year Andy Powell didn't even get penalised OR CITED for a deliberate swinging arm high tackle. Back in the Southern Hemisphere Dean Greyling only got 2 weeks for a deliberate forearm to the face. The Hore "clear out" is much worse than Powell's and Greyling's because it was from behind and he shouldn't even be cleaning someone that far from a ruck. A lengthy ban would probably be the end of his AB career at 34 years old. I'm going to throw a guess out and say 6 weeks (minus 1 for clean record?). I think that is considered mid-level for striking.

ADDENDUM: Will this effectively mean a 1 match suspension? So he could get 20 weeks and still have the same result. Surely the IRB can fix this nonsense and move to matches instead of weeks.

As for the team, Kevin Mealamu will possibly still be injured so that means a start for Dane Cole and probably Hika Elliot getting called up from the Maori. I like Dane Cole as a player, even through he has a bit of agro about him at times, he is certainly terrific with ball in hand.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I hate dirty, illegal play and if Simmons got eight weeks then Hore should go for plenty. But I don't think this incident rates with the Richard Loe incident. Its more in the nature of a Colin Meads moment.I don't think that Hore deliberately set out to coat-hanger the bloke, any more than I think Meads deliberately wrecked Catchpole's knee. Both are examples of where the NZ team's obsession with smashing into a ruck without any thought as to the consequences caused them to commit an act that they will both be ashamed of forever. The essence of NZ rugby is the ferocity of their play at the breakdown. Sometimes that ferocity-at-all-costs play just gets totally out of hand.

Two minutes into the game Hore is charging into a ruck at a million miles per hour. He sees some sort of Red obstruction in his path and just swings his arm to clear the obstruction out of the way so he can get to the ruck. Watch what he does after he fells the Wales player. He just continues to pile into the ruck. He does so without another thought for the player he hit. His intent is just to get to the ruck, whatever it takes.

This NZ mindset is admirable in a way. You'd like to see a few Wallaby teams playing with the same intent sometimes. But the issue that the NZers have to address is that rugby is never an at-all-costs game. The Ben Darwin incident is an admirable example and he walks around today because of that. The NZ team has showed in the last two weeks that they have forgotten that rugby is never an at-all-costs game. That is an issue that Hanson has to address and quickly, otherwise the NZ reputation for playing hard but fair rugby will be badly tarnished.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks to the Mod who changed the title of the thread to a more appropriate title.

FWIW, I'm happy for the thread to continue to meander along as long as it stays more or less on the Hore incident, the Judicial lottery, and comparisons with other king hits.

I don't think that we do not need any more "who has the worst spectators in the world" because..... threads.

It will be a little sad for Gimli if the Judicial wheel stops spinning with a ban that is so long that his International career will effectively end but there must be consequences for acts like this.

Just for once, I would like to hear a coach come out and say something like "I have seen the footage and spoken to the player. We do not condone that sort of behaviour. Our view is that the act warrants a ban of at least x weeks, and if the Judiciary do not penalise him for x weeks, then I have the full support of my National Body not to select him for International duties until after x weeks.

"No, I don't think that we are trying to influence the Judiciary. It is just that in our opinion as Rugby players and administrators, we feel that that unacceptable act has failed to comply with our team protocols and standards. "

I do live in a parallel universe at times!

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
Pretty disgusting piece of play. Shows how inept the assistant referees and referees are by missing it. If Simmons cops 8 weeks by the IRB circus then this guy should cop a lengthy stint on the sidelines.

I think questions should also be raised here about Craig Joubert. I mean the incident is pretty clear and although I don't think he saw it. I still think Joubert has issues when it comes to the All Blacks. Whether it be the RWC Final or numerous other matches. Joubert misses things. Why on earth he is allowed to continue to referee the All Blacks is in my opinion a travesty and reflects the poor state of the IRB selections. I don't think he's biased but it doesn't help when they chuck the same guy refereeing the same team who he has actually helped win tournaments and games. I mean you don't see Wayne Barnes doing too many All Blacks games these days. Is it one standard for each team?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shouldn't there be more use of the White Card from the referee and AR's?

How long before TMO is given powers to review possible acts of foul play (if for no other reason than to help identify the number of the "guilty bastard"?

I haven't read the findings of the Simmons case, but you feel that the sentence would have been less if he was Red or Yellow Carded during the game.

The referee (Owens, IIRC) was pretty sure that a cardable offence had occurred, just not who deserved to get sent. A quick glance at the big screen while he was waiting for the Captains to come forward would have assisted him identify the player number without having to go upstairs to TMO.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
And just to clarify, I have met a lot of Wobs supporters who I would classify as "obnoxious pricks".

We all have our share of wankers, but it seems that a larger number of kiwi fans here in Brisbane fall into this category.

Only my observation.

Only thing I'll say about this.....

I think you definitely get more 'patriotic' when you move away from your home country. I know that I personally had never owned an All Black jersey until I moved here 3 years ago. I would NEVER had AB flags flying from my car window if I was still home last year for the RWC.

It's not an excuse for idiotic, stupid behaviour but I think you would probably see more of it happening in QLD where the most Kiwi's live. I heard last week that according to official figures, there are now more Maori in Aussie than there are in Hamilton. Add to that all the other ethnicities (like myself - NZ/Samoan) and remembering that approx 50,000 Kiwis moved in AUssie in the last 12 months or so, it might not get much better in the short-term.

The longer we live here though, the better we get I think. But if you're fairly new to Aussie, you're pretty young, you're full of alcohol and you're with a few other idiots.....Kiwi's are probably no better and just as bad as any other fools.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks to the Mod who changed the title of the thread to a more appropriate title.

FWIW, I'm happy for the thread to continue to meander along as long as it stays more or less on the Hore incident, the Judicial lottery, and comparisons with other king hits.

I don't think that we do not need any more "who has the worst spectators in the world" because... threads.

It will be a little sad for Gimli if the Judicial wheel stops spinning with a ban that is so long that his International career will effectively end but there must be consequences for acts like this.

Just for once, I would like to hear a coach come out and say something like "I have seen the footage and spoken to the player. We do not condone that sort of behaviour. Our view is that the act warrants a ban of at least x weeks, and if the Judiciary do not penalise him for x weeks, then I have the full support of my National Body not to select him for International duties until after x weeks.

"No, I don't think that we are trying to influence the Judiciary. It is just that in our opinion as Rugby players and administrators, we feel that that unacceptable act has failed to comply with our team protocols and standards. "

I do live in a parallel universe at times!

Not as much as you think! Meyer spoke out quite honestly about Greyling - talking about team protocols etc and apologised for it. I thought that was a huge thing to do & I certainly appreciated it. It would have been nice for Hansen to do something similar - although I wouldn't expect it.

Lior - I find Diamond foil makes the best hats

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I think questions should also be raised here about Craig Joubert. I mean the incident is pretty clear and although I don't think he saw it. I still think Joubert has issues when it comes to the All Blacks. Whether it be the RWC Final or numerous other matches. Joubert misses things. Why on earth he is allowed to continue to referee the All Blacks is in my opinion a travesty and reflects the poor state of the IRB selections. I don't think he's biased but it doesn't help when they chuck the same guy refereeing the same team who he has actually helped win tournaments and games. I mean you don't see Wayne Barnes doing too many All Blacks games these days. Is it one standard for each team?

The assistant referee should have picked up on that not the ref. The AR's duty is to follow behind the play. The ref cannot afford to do that.
And I do have a gripe about AR's missing incidents that happen right in front of them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have to disagree with the 'grub' comments. The bloke has played 245 first class games, including 74 tests, and has never done anything else like this in his career. He's always played it hard and fair. Yes, this was a cheap shot and I don't think Hore himself would be able to explain what he was thinking at the time, and he'll cop a fair suspension for it. But to call him a grub after 12 seasons in first class rugby with one major incident is ridiculous. As for the 'seal-killing' bit, what relevance does that have to him as a rugby player?
There is a lot of force in your analysis - but - one wonders about the indiscretions we did not see for whatever reason.
It was so blatant - as if he expected nothing to happen by way of sanction. Perhaps he had a reason for such an expectation.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
There is a lot of force in your analysis - but - one wonders about the indiscretions we did not see for whatever reason.
It was so blatant - as if he expected nothing to happen by way of sanction. Perhaps he had a reason for such an expectation.

LOL....are you for real? The indiscretions we did not see? Are we going to call someone a grub based on incidents that may have committed but no-one has seen?

Hahahahaha.....I needed a chuckle this arvo

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tai McIsaac threw a punch at a guy's head (from behind? edit: yes, and it was behind the play as well) about about 5 minutes into the Super 12 game, and got himself promptly red carded. BTW, from memory it was in SA vs the Stormers or Sharks.

Believe it or not, the Reds went on to win. Admittedly, this was before they really went into the mid-2000s decline. Back then guys like Latho and Toutai could swing matches themselves.

McIsaac's two week suspension was too low in today's standards but was probably about right then (not that I agree with the short suspensions from a few years back, just commenting on their length). I reckon it would get a lot more than two weeks if it happened this year. I'm pretty sure that, back then, then would've included the game where he got red carded as part of the suspension as he got sent off so early, so in effect it would've been a three week suspension.

Hore getting 2 weeks and Simmons getting 8 would be too big a farce for the IRB to allow to happen, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.