• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I've previously said I thought he would be a good pick up, including for the Tahs, and I haven't changed my mind on that. However, I did make this comment thinking they may be able to pick him up cheap. Not a fan of throwing huge money at him.

If that is the way it ends up though I hope he makes a go of it and it works out for all parties.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't want the ARU putting a cent into getting him and the Tahs have to fit him under the cap without exception.

T

TOCC

I think he would make a good addition, he is obviously a talented footballer and of special note his aerial skills would be amongst the best in Australian Rugby.

But im with Ruggo, he shouldn't receive any ARU top-up, hopefully the ARU has moved past the phase of signing big name league backs. Also he wont come cheap, the Tahs are going to have to cough up a fair bit of cash if they want to sign him, naturally all of this will fall under their salary cap i'm presuming.

Also if he does sign, make it on a 2 year contract, the whole scenario just sounds like Israel needs something to do for 12months until the NRL clubs can free up some space in the salary cap and offer him more, i don't want rugby union(Australian Rugby at least) just to be a waiting room for him until he returns to what he really wants to do.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The fact that Folou can not get a gig in Mungoball just goes to show what an irrelevant backwater of a game it is, apart from the Sydney/Brisbane/Widnes/ 'ull Kingston Rovers market.

Rugby should not be subsidising unemployed mungoballers, and certainly not paying top dollar for them.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Lol come on.. Why'd he do the runner in Parra then, they were finding room to fit him in when he bailed.. It was anything but the act of a guy just looking to hang with his mates and family.

Why'd he leave the Storm? Money
Why'd he leave the Broncos? Money

Th only reason he didn't stay in the AFL is because he knows his market value was only going to drop further.

This bloke is all about money, I wouldn't sign him unless its for a minimum of 2 years. I don't want him using rugby union for 9months just to inflate his salary whilst NRL clubs find room to sign him under their caps.
I think you are being too harsh.
If it was all about money, he stick out the next 2 years @ $1.5M
with Western Sydney.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Izzy's been hanging out with one of the Tah's front rowers. So who knows?

A4fKmb-CcAA6ruv.jpg:large

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Scrolling through his twitter photos he has one with him and Lomu and another with Nonu so he must at least have an interest in the game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Don't worry about Folau, have you sorted Cooper out up there yet?

Yes I believe up there they have Cooper sorted out. It is down there in St Leonards that is the problem.

If the ARU is penny pinching on contracts with players who have actually contrbuted to Australian Rugby I certainly don't want them forking out for Falou.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I rate Izzy very highly as an outside back. He's a world class finisher with ball in hand. I'd be glad to see him in rugby. But i agree we should worry about retaining cooper first. Izzy should only be signed if he guarantees he'll stick around for at least 2 years.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Honours
Individual
Team
  • 2007: Premiers (Melbourne Storm) (stripped)
  • 2008: Minor Premiers (Melbourne Storm) (stripped)
Representative
  • 2007: All-time Youngest Australian International Player (18 years and 194 days)
  • 2007–2009: Australian Kangaroos Test Squad (3 Tests)
  • 2008: Australian Rugby League World Cup Squad (5 Matches)
  • 2008–2010: Queensland State of Origin Squad (8 Matches)
National Rugby League Records
  • 2007: Most Tries in a Debut Season (21)
The kid can play.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Mormon thing was a huge deal when he came to Brisbane cause he had to do his 2 year mission for the church of LDS here at that time, was the reason he ended up playing for the Broncos. He then never did the mission work for the LDS anyway.

Looks like he left the Mormons in 2011 and went to the hillsong-esque Assemblies of God. Must've been offered a better contract eh??? :D

What's the bet he signs a 1 yr contract with the tahs?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I just read they are talking stupid money to get him. $1 mill a year. I support trying to sign him if he is cheap, but for a million, no way.

dasduke

Frank Nicholson (4)
Everyone is bitching about how our backline is not good enough, but when there is the option to sign one of the most talented athletes in Oz sport everyone balks? I know there are coaching issues, we also need the talent.

The money does seem ridiculous. My thoughts - subtract the PR and increased ticket sale revenue from the contract value, and then see if it's reasonable.

Any estimates what this would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.