• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I like it. We'll probably open the tournament against England in London.

There'll be no complacency from us and the pressure on them will great. We beat them at home and get a good run, their confidence shattered.

Wales and Fiji should also be good solid games.

QF1: Winner Pool B v Runner-up Pool A
QF2: Winner Pool C v Runner-up Pool D
QF3: Winner Pool A v Runner-up Pool B
QF4: Winner Pool D v Runner-up Pool C

SF1: Winner QF1 v Winner QF2
SF2: Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

Bronze Final: Loser SF1 v Loser SF2

Final: Winner SF1 v Winner SF2

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
We beat England and Wales, and our complacency would be off the charts. Unless a new regime has helped fix that by 2015.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Australia
England
Wales
Huge Lubricated Banana-Skin 1
Just-In-Case Points Differential Lifter

No easy pool games for us. It might be the sort of pool we need to avoid getting-ahead-of-ourselves performances like the one we put out against Ireland.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a hellish draw for the Wallabies because we'll have to play England at Twickenham and then Wales at Millennium Stadium.

If we do manage to win all our pool games, we do have the potential advantage of not meeting the All Blacks until the final.

Getting out of the pool stage is going to be difficult though!

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
we had a supposedly easy pool in 2011 and we struggled at times in that. We play to the level of the opposition so hopefully tougher opponenets will lift out game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Meh. If we can't make it out of that pool, we'd never win anyway. Suck it up and deal with it.
That said, the pools seem oddly balanced. Good thing it's random.

I agree. I guess the bit that makes our pool hard is the fact that England and Wales are at home. If the RWC was anywhere else there wouldn't be anything to be concerned about.

From a purely statistical point of view it is the toughest pool on the basis that Pool A has the highest rank team from the second and third brackets (England ranked 5th, Wales ranked 9th) and the third ranked team from the first bracket.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we finish second in our pool we set ourselves up for South Africa in the quarter finals and New Zealand in the semi finals.

None of the other 2011 RWC finals pairings can really eventuate again from what I can see.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Very Happy with Ireland's draw, couldn't have asked for a better draw than that.

Wallabies do have a tough group, but as they will be under the less pressure than Wales and England it has it's advantage. I think Wales will be dreading playingt Fiji again after 2007 World Cup.

D

daz

Assuming nothing changes in the Wallaby coaching ranks until RWC15, we could very well have our tournament end in the pool stages.

Still, we have 3 years to prepare so we have plenty of time. Maybe we should start soon, though. Just sayin'.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Has a top 4 side ever missed making it through?

3 years is a long time. The end of the 2014 season will give us a better indication of the pool strengths and weaknesses.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Assuming nothing changes in the Wallaby coaching ranks until RWC15, we could very well have our tournament end in the pool stages.

Still, we have 3 years to prepare so we have plenty of time. Maybe we should start soon, though. Just sayin'.

If nothing changes in the coaching ranks, we'll be down to .33 tries per game and no one will give a toss if we lose. So there's a silver lining.

Status
Not open for further replies.