• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
You sound like you're getting serious mate - will have to suck your wheel next time I'm back!

Currently "in training" in the south of France. If that goes well might have to give the hour another crack

Sounds good mate. Its easier to train here without the shitty english weather. Still, no Twickenham or Eel Pie Pub! Moving to Melbourne in a few weeks where there should be some pretty awesome riding.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sounds good mate. Its easier to train here without the shitty english weather. Still, no Twickenham or Eel Pie Pub! Moving to Melbourne in a few weeks where there should be some pretty awesome riding.
and some shitty weather....followed by some really hot weather... some snow and then some warm weather and then a thunderstorm

T

TOCC

I know I've asked this before, but I can't find where I asked the question... As a recent addition to the eastern suburbs of Sydney, it would seem natural to evolve from my mountain bike to a road bike...

So I guess I'm happy to spend between $ 1- 4'000.. Or whatever the cost may be

Soo on that, any suggestions for a road bike rookie and a decent place to buy bikes in Sydney?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I know I've asked this before, but I can't find where I asked the question. As a recent addition to the eastern suburbs of Sydney, it would seem natural to evolve from my mountain bike to a road bike.

So I guess I'm happy to spend between $ 1- 4'000.. Or whatever the cost may be

Soo on that, any suggestions for a road bike rookie and a decent place to buy bikes in Sydney?
If you're a pretty "standard" fit, then you can get a very nice pre-built bike for $4000. As for where? There's plenty of expensive joints around this neck of the woods - Albion cycles at Bronte, Cheeky Monkey at Randwick but neither are cheap, Europa on ANZAC parade is not bad. Then of course there is the city - Clarence Street have a lot of stock and often some specials. If you know your dimensions for fitting, I might start there.
Other option, again if you know the size, is to buy a hardly used off Fleabay - these things retain value poorly, even if barely ridden!

T

TOCC

If you're a pretty "standard" fit, then you can get a very nice pre-built bike for $4000. As for where? There's plenty of expensive joints around this neck of the woods - Albion cycles at Bronte, Cheeky Monkey at Randwick but neither are cheap, Europa on ANZAC parade is not bad. Then of course there is the city - Clarence Street have a lot of stock and often some specials. If you know your dimensions for fitting, I might start there.
Other option, again if you know the size, is to buy a hardly used off Fleabay - these things retain value poorly, even if barely ridden!

Yeah I know Europa, its just around the corner from my place..I might head over there and see what they have.
I guess I like to think I've got a high level of fitness, just not cycling fitness..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My research has led me to this:
BMC-Pro.jpeg

http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/bikes/new-granfondo-gf01-2013.html

What's the consensus?

T

TOCC

Hmm bike purchase delayed a few months I think... Bank balance has been decimated recently with new couch/fridge/entertainment unit and brothers wedding..

Still have my pretty good mountain bike for transiting... Definitely look a little out of place amongst the other riders in Easter Sydney though

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Okay boys, my brother and I are looking to take up road cycling as a means of exercise early in the new year. Coming from a very bare knowledge of what to get, can anyone offer some advice on for the lack of a better phrase, a good "beginner's pack" in terms of kit. Would be appreciated.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
^^^I'll back that query and will watch the replies with interest. My budget would be $500-$700, subject to approval from the family CFO.

P

Paradox

^^^I'll back that query and will watch the replies with interest. My budget would be $500-$700, subject to approval from the family CFO.

I think you should probably spend double that coz you once start cycling and get the bug, you'll wish you had a better bike.

- You need a solid road bike: Say a Giant Defy
- Clipless peddles and shoes
- Some decent tyres that are puncture proof. I run Continental Grand Prix 4-Season
- some padded dacks or shorts.
- Drink bottle and holder
- A Seat bag
- Helmet
- Good rear light and LED if cycling at night
- Make sure you get fitted out/sized probably for your bike otherwise you'll end up with bruised tail bone or worse
- Two spare tubes and plastic tyre levers which you should always have with you when cycling (to be stored in seat bag)
- A hand pump to attach to your bike.
- bike lock

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Paradox has it pretty well covered I think. I started with a flat bar road bike and would recommend something like an Apollo Alfa or Giant Cross City. Once I got more serious I bought my current bike, a GT GTR Series 1.0. I opted against going with the full on road bike to begin with because I wanted something with a reasonable degree of comfort while I was getting used to it. Mine was about $750 from memory. All the other accessories can be transferred to another frame if you ever trade up (as I did).

I would get a bike computer too, as it helps you measure how much you are improving. Then again, I'm a nerd who lives by the maxim: "you can't manage it if you can't measure it".

P

Paradox

Hornet, do you need a bike computer these days with the cool smart phone apps? I use Strava and it's pretty good. Mind you, they (bike comps) are a lot easier to use when on the bike. I wouldn't mind getting a heart rate monitor. More stats to capture ;)

I'd go straight to the drops and skip the flat bar.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Arguably not and you are right, the phone apps are pretty ace these days. My phone didn't have that when I bought my bike. The bike computer is easier to use when on the bike too. Mine is a run of the mill VDO and it works great.

As far as drops versus flat bar goes, that's probably a matter of personal taste. In my view you're not going to stay with your first bike if you really get into it. The lure of something fancier, lighter, stiffer and faster is going to be too great. For that reason I went with the flat bar at the start.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Arguably not and you are right, the phone apps are pretty ace these days. My phone didn't have that when I bought my bike. The bike computer is easier to use when on the bike too. Mine is a run of the mill VDO and it works great.

As far as drops versus flat bar goes, that's probably a matter of personal taste. In my view you're not going to stay with your first bike if you really get into it. The lure of something fancier, lighter, stiffer and faster is going to be too great. For that reason I went with the flat bar at the start.

Here's another question. How young is too young to start? May look to get my kid brother into it as well. He's 12.