• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wider Training Group guest players

(Mike Ala'alatoa and Wayne Borzak but) who else? The only other guys I can remember are flyhalf David Horwitz from Oz Schools in 2011 and 2012 and openside Kotoni Ale from Manly - but more next week.

Also:
13. Elijah Niko
1/3. Richard Aho
8. Peter Samu

B

BellyTwoBlues

Just joined Folks, and don't really have the time to read all previous 117 pages.

So aplogies if this is repeated. What club do you think Folau should be aligned with?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Welcome aboard Mr Bell.

IMHO IF will only be available for a small number of Shute Shield games.

Would it be best for his paymasters to use him in a Sydney Uni environment where he would be surrounded by other professional athletes and top notch facilities that facilitate, or with the Wicks, Beasts or other "heartland" rugby establishment club ?

Or perhaps should those 3-4 games that he can play in Clubland be played where rugbydom could get more bang for their buck - Pirates, Two Blues or Emus?

I'd be happy for him to turn out for any of these three and think that that would be in the best interests of rugby growth.

The crowd at Coogee Oval, Woolahra Oval, North Sydney Oval, No 1 Ground at Uni are rusted on and will be there watching their tribe regardless.

Bit different out beyond the Inner West.

My vote is for him to join the Two Blues revival.

B

BellyTwoBlues

^I wonder where you think he should go.
Not saying I disagree though.

Well duh!
But I bet he doesn't.
I'd even cop it if he went to us or Penrith.
But I bet he doesn't.
I've been in this job 3 years now, and it feels like I'm the only bloke who gives a shit about rugby in the western suburbs. During my time in this role, league, soccer and afl have literally been at war over Sydney's west. And publicly, there has not been one sound from rugby. Not one. Not even a murmur. They have been silent at best and completely dormant at worst.

Now they have the chance to get in the fight. With the stroke of a pen they can jump in and use the bloke who is arguably the highest profile Pacific Islander in the land to take them on. Ultimately it doesn't matter which club he goes to. As that club will be lucky to get 1 full game out of him.But we all know it's not his on field profile the club, competition, game needs.

But I bet he doesn't!!!!!!!

B

BellyTwoBlues

Welcome aboard Mr Bell.

IMHO IF will only be available for a small number of Shute Shield games.

Would it be best for his paymasters to use him in a Sydney Uni environment where he would be surrounded by other professional athletes and top notch facilities that facilitate, or with the Wicks, Beasts or other "heartland" rugby establishment club ?

Or perhaps should those 3-4 games that he can play in Clubland be played where rugbydom could get more bang for their buck - Pirates, Two Blues or Emus?

I'd be happy for him to turn out for any of these three and think that that would be in the best interests of rugby growth.

The crowd at Coogee Oval, Woolahra Oval, North Sydney Oval, No 1 Ground at Uni are rusted on and will be there watching their tribe regardless.

Bit different out beyond the Inner West.

My vote is for him to join the Two Blues revival.

Thanks Hugh.

As mentioned above, I'd be surprised if he plays even 1 game. Probably 1 minute to be frank for a Shute Shield club. But that's not really the point is it. I made mention above of my thoughtss, probably as you were typing your post.

The fact is, with Sydney Juniors killing off saturday rugby, despite what some people have referred to as anecdotal evidence, the fact is that registration numbers in our District have dropped off by more than 20% this year.

They have the opportunity to get into the race for the hearts and minds of the kids in the biggest population area in the state and certainly the fastest growing. I bet they miss the boat!

And I bet they play a dead bat on it and roll out the old chestnut ' we don't tell players which club to join'.

Worked for Jake White and it would work for IF

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is not good for Parramatta to be dropping large numbers of juniors off.

Is the figures "doctored" somewhat by the Raptors going to Penrith District, or is the 20% drop off inclusive of Penrith district numbers as well.

Probably for another thread, but Parra have traditionally managed to be very competitive at State Champs until about Under 14's when annecdotatally, the better kids either end up in mungo talented squads, or being enticed to certain schools on the back of their musical and citizenship skills. Entry to either of thes two options tends to see the boys lost to junior village club rugby. Shame.

B

BellyTwoBlues

we lost Rooty Hill and Hawkesbury to Penrith. So the figures include those as well, however registrations were alarmingly down from 2011. Gimme a day or two and I'll get the figures for you

B

BellyTwoBlues

we're down 34% from last year including the two clubs who deserted us.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would have thought that a decline of that magnitude would be drawing the attention of NSWJRU and SJRU administrators more than creating a national U17 juniors championship.

If there is no base to the pyramid, then it is pointless trying to perfect the pyramids cap.

It may be better to discuss the decline in Juniors in the Schoolboys threads.

I am pretty sure that there is a "NSW Juniors" thread there that would be a good place to carry the discussion on Junior numbers forward.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Wider Training Group guest players

Also:
13. Elijah Niko
1/3. Richard Aho
8. Peter Samu

Do the Tahs pick the WTG players or are these players pushed by their clubs or academy ?

I haven't managed to get a glimpse of Peter Samu yet, however for instance players like:

1) Allaatoa, Borzak and Aho are 'Ok' props but there are better quality props in the SS running around. All props were apart of bottom 6 sides.

Recently Faamasili has been lured overseas and Cruize Ah Nau seems to be apart of the Rebels set up. Gillespie, Talakai, Heather and Metcher are the other props I'd be looking to include.

2) #13 Elijah Niko from the Easts club I find is another odd selection and yet another player not to participate in the SS Finals.

Did anyone from the Tahs not watch Jesse Leota last season or the form Apo Latunipulu was in during Southerns finals campaign. Eastwood center pairing Michael McDougall and Cam Mitchell are other centers well aligned for higher duties like this.

3) Dave Horwitz out of school apart of The Academy ahead of previous EPS candidates Hamish Angus and Toby Browne. Saifoloi from Souths completely left out however has had the better year out of the lot.

Apart from Aj Gilbert and Kotoni Ale who seem to be players able to slot in comfortably if any injury occurs.

The Tahs WTG doesn't seem to have the depth of a Reds College or the new signings down in Melbourne. Are we looking at the wrong players ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Intruder

They are not really signings as most would understand it. Nobody is saying these are the fellows who will be the next cabs off the rank though they would have the potential to be so down the track and worth developing.

As you indicate: those fellows who just missed out on the EPS are more likely to be called up as standbys if there is another butcher's bill in 2013.

Not all players who want to play pro rugby can afford to offer themselves FOC to a Super team in their WTG, especially the older guys.

I've heard of a quite a few players over the years who turned down amateur academy spots because they had to earn a living - even some who were offered low paying professional academy spots (more or less the equivalent of the EPS now).

These fellows would rather get their job and try to get recognised for the following year, or get cherry-picked for the current year, when club rugby starts.

Also, I read somewhere, maybe in the forum, that some Sydney Uni players would rather get the S&C and rugby training there than at the Tahs. Why double up when they can get quality rugby preparation at their club?

PS - agree with your comments about the players you mentioned.

PPS - WTG (for "Wider Training Group") is just unofficial shorthand. The Tahs call them "invited guests".

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
PPS - WTG (for "Wider Training Group") is just unofficial shorthand. The Tahs call them "invited guests".
"Invited guests" as distinct from "party crashers" or "blow-ins". In Jason Allen's previous gig, running V8 Supercars in Adelaide, the uninvited street racers were known as "hoons".

Status
Not open for further replies.