• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Lumping Douglas and Timani's 2012 Super Rugby seasons together makes no sense.

Douglas was head and shoulders above Timani throughout the 2012 season.

It would be like saying that the Waratahs and the Chiefs had a pretty average 2012 Super Rugby season because they finished with an average of 6th in the competition.

I wonder how much of Timani's 2012 super rugby form came down to him not having an off season with his stint in Japan.

I didn't get to see much of the Tahs in 2011, however from comments on here it seems his form in super rugby was much better last year.

I wonder if an off season break (even the short form that the Wallabies get now days) might see him pick his form/involvement up.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Off season or no off season would make little difference to Timani's shortcomings in the lineout. Until he gets that skill in his kit bag I see him more as a sub covering 4, 5 & 6.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
He's about 197cm and in any case will be used a 6

He is not that tall. The Waratahs list him at 195cm and they tend to exaggerate.

He is a terrific ball running lock but in that tradition is not particularly concerned about passing the ball. While you would think that 6 would be an option Matt Barr, the SD assistant coach and also his Waverley coach for 2 years, has never played him there.

So assuming that Cheika isn't going to throw a 19 year old into a position he's never played for his Super debut, is it possible to have a !94/5cm tall lock at the elite level? Personally I'd like them to play him at lock, as hopefully his attacking ball running will be used to breach defensive lines the same way Sharpe did for years.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Personally, losing Timani will give the Tahs a more balance set of locks, we have two decent TH locks and since losing Mumm, we lack the mobile, athlete LH lock to run the lineouts.

There is a big opportunity for someone to step up into that role. Of the three we have Atkins seems most likely, but it is a big ask in his first season. What he does have in his favour is he has been in the Uni system for a while and they seem to take to Super rugby quicker than others The jury is out on Peterson, seems a giant, but acts like a gentle giant. Hollaway? a baby but who knows

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Received my Tahs membership pack today. Doesn't sound much but pretty happy with the content: hat, key ring, lanyard, car sticker (x4)
Car sticker doesn't quite stand out on the car window but nice to have one. Kids wore their hats out to dinner tonight. Looking forward to the season starting.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
^ Pleased with the cap as it is a good fit.

Here's a pic of what was received:
IMG_5599.JPG

EDIT: Added the following on 24/12/2012:
Received my Tahs membership pack today.

Did your family's caps come with this tag?

Copy of IMG_5605.JPG

How can something like this get through quality control? Pretty sloppy. I wouldn't be too happy if I were the Tahs.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Did your family's caps come with this tag?

View attachment 3144
Yes, that's quite funny. Didn't notice it because it was hidden behind the other label. Nothing a pair of scissors won't fix. I guess that hat company won't be getting that contract next year.
If that label wasn't on the samples the company sent to the Tahs for approval, the Tahs could very well ask for their money back.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
JA is going to be a hard act to follow. Superb attention to detail. Not that you can really blame him. A rev head from Adelaide who hasn’t yet tumbled that there are two codes of rugby. You can expect one of their unpaid interns to get a bollocking over this one.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
If the samples had the tags and the Tahs OK'ed it, then at the very least someone should get a kick up the backside. I would be disappointed, but not surprised, if this were the case.

I reckon it's more likely that the manufacturer screwed up. If so, the Tahs should read the riot act to the supplier and expect some sort of financial compensation.

p.Tah - I suspect there could be interns in the storeroom with scissors when the Tahs HQ re-opens later this week cutting away. I am going to keep the label on mine....too bizarre.

slim 293 - No problems, please feel free to post the photo elsewhere. Please let me us know where you posted as I would like to see if there's any reaction to it.

I have sent the photo to the Tahs, so let's see if they respond.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Elite Sports (ESP) the people who made the hat say on their website that they are: 'Australia's premier sports marketing company'. Good to see the AFL-centric folk at ESP still dont know there are two rugbys. Imagine what we would have received if we picked the second best marketing company.

ESP - Exceptionally Stupid Promoters

http://www.elitesports.com.au/consumer-products-and-promotions/

Im going to keep the tag in as well. It's great.

Badger - love the image of the interns cutting the labels out of a few thousand hats.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Watching the Big Bash League on TV between Perth and Hobart, in Hobart and what do I see in the crowd? The infamous 2013 Waratahs members hat. Nice one mate!

BBL -Tahs.jpg

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Not all Waratah fans live in Sydney. For my sins I got sent to Adelaide! And once I think I was the only Waratah supporter in the old Highlanders stadium wearing Waratahs gear apart from team officials. That was the famous game when Jimmy Cowan tried to do a Loe act on Cliffy Palu that meant Cliify got yellow for retaliating.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
For tahs fans there is a couple of good youtube clips titled michael hooper tributes, should be interesting to see how he goes up there

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
From Lord gagger's twitter feed, the apparent "strong mail" is that the tahs starting backline will be hart, Barnes, turner, carter, Horne, izzy, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

God I hope that's wrong

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I find it hard to believe they have worked out their starting backline by 2 January. That's not to say that isn't what they are looking at, but still a lot of rugby to play before round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.