• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I would like to move Nikau to flyhalf and have isiah at fullback kris at inside centre and conor at 13. i think that would be terraces best backline however I know this wont happen because of who Alex Horan is. Which is too bad I would love to see some one with Nikau's offensive flare playing 10 with a very competent back line at his disposal.

Trust me the name Horan won't score him any brownie points with coach Gibb

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trust me the name Horan won't score him any brownie points with coach Gibb
I have heard that Tim Horan is the one who picks the kids to come in to terrace so why would he pick someone like Nikau if it threatens his sons position in the team?

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I have heard that Tim Horan is the one who picks the kids to come in to terrace so why would he pick someone like Nikau if it threatens his sons position in the team?

well Nikau has no past experience at 10 I'm guessing so he wouldn't have thought of the positional change. But Nikau has started at terrace and if Gibbs picks him at 10 and is better than Horan there is nothing his dad can do about it. Do remember that Alex is a member of the national talent squad and isn't an awful player. Last year showed that a 10 with all the goods I'm attack like Dalgleish isn't what you need you need a good distributor like Given. So why waste Nikau at 10 when he has more space on te outside

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Also I have heard Vavia got turned down by Tim Horan because he is a clear cut 10

Wouldn't be surprised but I don't think that's the case because of his behavioral issues and lack of interest in his education. Pretty sure he is repeating because of failing the 11th grade

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wouldn't be surprised but I don't think that's the case because of his behavioral issues and lack of interest in his education. Pretty sure he is repeating because of failing the 11th grade
I was not aware of that I had heard he got accepted but then he got mucked around and ended up not having a spot.

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
well Nikau has no past experience at 10 I'm guessing so he wouldn't have thought of the positional change. But Nikau has started at terrace and if Gibbs picks him at 10 and is better than Horan there is nothing his dad can do about it. Do remember that Alex is a member of the national talent squad and isn't an awful player. Last year showed that a 10 with all the goods I'm attack like Dalgleish isn't what you need you need a good distributor like Given. So why waste Nikau at 10 when he has more space on te outside
Fair enough gibb hasn't paid attention to names in the past just Horan is a fairly hard one to miss esscipally with his dad being the driving force behind terraces rugby scholarships. I would love to give you my thoughts on the 'national squad'/ARU and wallabies sons squad but this is not the right thread to do so on

W

Wikos96

Brody ginnerz might be playing 11 this year for grammer, thoughts?

mr pls

Allen Oxlade (6)
From what I've heard and seen theres alot of other ways to make NT and JGP if you know what I'm saying "politics"

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
From what I've heard and seen theres alot of other ways to make NT and JGP if you know what I'm saying "politics"
Right you are. I am glad the GPS isn't as bad as the club system I remember a few years back I made this rep team and there was just one particular guy that stood out to me he went to some AIC school but he he stood out cause he wasn't particularly big and he had some of the worst ball skills I had ever seen and then I found out that the kid was our starting 10 he could barely catch a ball, we had some great players in the backline but we could never to click cause our 10 was dishing off hospital passes and coughing up pill so we didnt make the finals of that tournament but it turned out his father is some high up QRU member so his father was selecting a national talent squad or something along those lines and some how this number 10 got picked. I tell you his old man has political power I think he could quite easily win an election for prime minister.

I would make some serious changes to the GPS cause kids like Luke Harlow (Terrace 2012) make gps teams whilst ending up as a seconds prop at terrace but the club system that thing is beyond repair

Thoraxe

Frank Row (1)
churchie, gt, and nudgee team predictions?
Ok I will have a crack at the Churchie team for 2013. Still a lot of positions that could move and a few missing. Sorry if I spell a name or two wrong.
Obviously not based on current form, but who has moved to the school, returning from last year and those from the 16A's & 15A's.

1 Brosasco
2 Warriner
3 Bailey
4 Gimple
5 Acworth
6 Fox
7 MacMillan
8 Scott Young
9 Nucifora
10 Mason
11 ?
12 Tanuvasa
13 Schafer
14 ?
15 ?

T

tubbaGOD

Couldnt possibly name a grammar team this early. Too many spots to plug, not enough known about how the grade 11s could fit in to the 2013 team. The loss of Greene (#10), Cornelson (#8), Blackhurst (#1), Muller (#5) Fatseas (#3), Lakehm Aiono (#12) and in particular I think Joshua Birch (#13) will be very hard to replace. The work he did offensively and defensively for the team were a big part of the success of Matt Marsden and the other gaggle of wingers at Grammar in the 2012 season. Without him defending so well on the flanks I think grammars size out wide would have been exploited a great deal more throughout the season. The backbone of last years premiership team has been ripped out of it. When a squad gets named and we play a few trials I'll let everybody know how it's shaping up

Just quickly has anybody else heard about a certain first XV coach south of the bridge actively pursuing a coaching career with the reds? If anybody knows the full story, please share, I'm intrigued.

Can't wait for footy season

I'd have to agree with you here The King. While grammar does have a few first XV stars from 2012 (marsden, Laud, Cox), I'm afraid the boys in blue won't be able to replace the combination of Greene/Aiono/Birch and some of the bigger lads from the forward pack. This age groups A's have not been competitive with the top teams in the competition and I fear despite the range of talent, this may continue into the first XV competition. To add to this, there are few players in the u16 age group at BGS that have the potential to play first XV and therefore won't be putting pressure on the older boys to perform.

T

tubbaGOD

Ok I will have a crack at the Churchie team for 2013. Still a lot of positions that could move and a few missing. Sorry if I spell a name or two wrong.
Obviously not based on current form, but who has moved to the school, returning from last year and those from the 16A's & 15A's.

1 Brosasco
2 Warriner
3 Bailey
4 Gimple
5 Acworth
6 Fox
7 MacMillan
8 Scott Young
9 Nucifora
10 Mason
11 ?
12 Tanuvasa
13 Schafer
14 ?
15 ?

Lewis Hunter is a possibility for outside backs - played fullback/outside centre in the 16A's.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Going to be a very exciting season this year, who are everyone's early favourites?

BBC won't win much without Junior it's safe to say.. particularly if the player group suffers from the angst that plagued last seasons campaign. Grammar have lost several lynchpins that gave Marsden etc room to move last season - without the Engine room defenders and forwards they could struggle for the crucial momentum they gained during games last year. State High will look to improve after a tough season, and given the quality of the Rugby pedigree that was coming from the 16A's of 2012 last year you would think it a realistic target. Churchie have a couple of new recruits and you would expect NC & TSS to be strong as always. What is to be the fate of TGS and IGS's bids? Will Terrace improve after a few lean years?

Who is the favourite?

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Going to be a very exciting season this year, who are everyone's early favourites?

BBC won't win much without Junior it's safe to say.. particularly if the player group suffers from the angst that plagued last seasons campaign. Grammar have lost several lynchpins that gave Marsden etc room to move last season - without the Engine room defenders and forwards they could struggle for the crucial momentum they gained during games last year. State High will look to improve after a tough season, and given the quality of the Rugby pedigree that was coming from the 16A's of 2012 last year you would think it a realistic target. Churchie have a couple of new recruits and you would expect NC & TSS to be strong as always. What is to be the fate of TGS and IGS's bids? Will Terrace improve after a few lean years?

Who is the favourite?
I think BSH will definately be pushing for a top 3 position this year alongside IGS. From what I have read so far, Tce will still be clinging to the bottom position.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

1 Brosasco
2 Warriner
3 Bailey
4 Gimple
5 Acworth
6 Fox
7 MacMillan
8 Scott Young
9 Nucifora
10 Mason
11 ?
12 Tanuvasa
13 Schafer
14 ?
15 ?

Not a BrisVegas local, and the sins of the Father should not be visited upon the son, but Nucifora is not a very common name is it?

The suggested #9 is not a Son of David Nuci of the Faecal Touch (reverse midas touch) is he?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)

Who is the favourite?

It might be bold, but I wouldnt put it past Churchie to perform up and above last years abysmal team effort, maybe even a top 3 spot. Returning stars like Nigel Tanuvasa should work much better with Mack Mason then with Darcy bloody Eason. Combining with Jaydon Schafer, those inside backs should pose a big midfield threat to any school.

Nudgee obviously are the perennial favourites, and after coming so close last year it wouldnt surprise me if they won it all in the slightest. A monster forward pack including the likes of Alex Mafi, who I dont need to mention was the Australian U/16 player of the year at the Schoolboy Championships in sydney last year, Paulo Leleisiuao? (sorry about the spelling, too many vowels), Queensland Red second rower Maclean Jones, in addition to a threatening backline with the versatile James Tuttle and grade 11 young gun Tyrone Hussey. Really interesting to see if this team can perform with all the star power they have, or if they end up going the way of the 2012 Churchie team. highly unlikely however.

A lot of noise has been made about Southport's chances this year, but I have a sneaking suspicion that some managerial changes may have more of an impact than Southport would like to let on. Is Nili Fielea still playing? I'd love to see him get a chance to play, he was contained brilliantly by Grammar in our close-as-can-be match up in round 9 last year. From what I've seen on tape, he can be a brilliant weapon in the offense.

And I think you have summed up Gramar perfectly. losing the workhorses in the tight 5 (exception of 4. Dalton Cox) is really going to put pressure on this years pack to provide clean, fast ball to a backline that really will need it if they're going to put points on the bigger teams in the comp. losing Greene's kicking game as well as distrubution abilities will surely impact the style of play for the 2013 team. Then again, who knows what young guns will show up and get counted with the rest of the GPS. With the coaching staff grammar has on the payroll, Julian Gardener, Damon Emtage, and scrum coach Toppo Rodriguez (Former Wallaby Prop and Scrum Guru). All I can say is I would love to be proven wrong on this one in particular.

The beauty of schoolboy rugby is that nobody will know until the season is underway. I for one can't wait!

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Not a BrisVegas local, and the sins of the Father should not be visited upon the son, but Nucifora is not a very common name is it?

The suggested #9 is not a Son of David Nuci of the Faecal Touch (reverse midas touch) is he?

No, I believe he is a nephew of David Nucifora.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I think BSH will definately be pushing for a top 3 position this year alongside IGS. From what I have read so far, Tce will still be clinging to the bottom position.

Have Ipswich picked up any new players since last year? losing Aaron Pleash as the only schoolboy rep player is a big loss, and they dont really have any proper strike weapons this year except for, and I shudder to say it, but the Fa'anana character (8). Discipline problems, fitness problems, and the only player with a game breaking ability I believe. Not a good look for next season. I'd love to hear your reasoning..

And before the forum jumps on me that Ipswich was Grammar's only defeat last year, the game came down to a 5 metre scrum to grammar which was botched somewhere in between 9 and 10 which resulted in a knock on at 12. a split second between victory and defeat there..

Status
Not open for further replies.