• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls - Rd6

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
We have to give the young locks exposure. Juandre Kruger leaves the Bulls at the end of the season. But why not start him with one of the greenhorns?

Steyn was really shit last week. Missed tackles, didn't kick well out of hand and offered nothing. Dropped if you ask me. Fouche as a replacement leaves me very underwhelmed. He is a good Currie Cup player. That's it. It's time to move on but the real successor, young Pollard, should be starting.

Great to have Basson back.

About the locks:

Willemse was nicked from the Lions. Was an u/2o Bok last year. Very good potential and built like a tank. http://www.bluebulls.co.za/profile.aspx?pid=1034&team=Senior

Hattingh was nicked from Western Province via the Lions. Very athletic. Extremely good line out player. http://www.bluebulls.co.za/profile.aspx?pid=1781&team=Senior
Know Willemse and hattingh well, good players hattingh also good in the lineouts. Willemse a big Monnas Monster.

Agree in Pollard, sad to see him running in a Tukkie 12 jersey in the Varsity Cup. Serfontein should be in the starting XV. I think we'll see more backline from the Brutes now with Meisiekind gone. Looking forward to this.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Weird selection for the Bulls.

A center on the wing, a wing a center, Steyn just dropped, Botha just gone, Venter jumping back over Serfontein in the rankings for inside center, two show ponies in loose-trio and two greenhorns in second row.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Weird selection for the Bulls.

A center on the wing, a wing a center, Steyn just dropped, Botha just gone, Venter jumping back over Serfontein in the rankings for inside center, two show ponies in loose-trio and two greenhorns in second row.

Somehow still less crazy than watching Genia play #10

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Reds:
1. Greg Holmes
2. James Hanson
3. James Slipper
4. Ed O’Donoghue
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Jarrad Butler
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (vc)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Jono Lance

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Albert Anae
18. Rob Simmons
19. Curtis Browning
20. Nigel Ah Wong
21. Ultimate Frisby
22. Mike Harris

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds:
1. Greg Holmes
2. James Hanson
3. James Slipper
4. Ed O’Donoghue
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Jarrad Butler
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (vc)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Jono Lance

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Albert Anae
18. Rob Simmons
19. Curtis Browning
20. Nigel Ah Wong
21. Ultimate Frisby
22. Mike Harris

Subtle Brumby Jack. But I love it! LOL!! :D

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So Gill's knee is no good, or they don't want to push it etc. Any news on what the deal is with it, or will it be another James Horwill's ankle?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Grade 1 MCL, more commonly known as a slightly twisted knee. Not serious, will heal in short order. May miss next one or not depending on quickness of recovery, he's young and fit though you'd probably back him to be back.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Thanks hammertimethere. Good to see Chibba get a start though! Lets see what he does with it - although it may not be reward for form. From what I can see, Link sees them as just offering slightly different things and he may just feel that this arrangement will suit the game plan for this game.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Horwill will make a big difference up front, even not fully fit. If Genia, Cooper and Digby fire we'll get there.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Is AWH out of favour or injured. He was in great form last year.

You possibly answered your own question -
He was in great form last year

I suspect he has'nt injected himself enough into the game when he has come on this year.
Also AWH, like Samo, is getting closer to his use by date on the paddock, and it is time to test new blood while the season is still in its infancy.
No disrespect meant for AWH, but father time catches up with everybody eventually.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just about a full strength team excecept for Gilly.

About time Hansen got a run-on shot

Congratulations to Butler for his first run-on. He will be shittin bricks
and loving it to boot - have a great game Jarrod !!!!!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Normally you are worried/nervous when a really raw youngster gets named for a Super Rugby debut. Not with Curtis Browning though, this bloke is an animal, he will certainly not be out of his depth at this level.

Good on Jarrad Buttler for getting a start, he is fairly under-rated because of his height, but he will go through his work in a way that is similar to Shatz.

I suspect Quirk will play a more "on-the-ball" role now that Gilly's out. He can easily add that to his game, he's quite proficient at it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
AWH showed some really good form in the trials too from what I saw! But I agree, his form during the games since, he's been quiet.

tigerland12 you've obviously seen a fair bit of Browning. I've not seen much, but can his aggression go against him sometimes? Is he susceptible to a bit of niggle causing an explosion? I think it was him I saw up at Kawana during the Chiefs trial, throw a few after the Chiefs guy cleaned him out and held on a bit long.

Love the agro but don't want to see it spill over and cost the team. I may have it COMPLETELY wrong though, which is why I'm asking! He looks like the goods!!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
tigerland12 you've obviously seen a fair bit of Browning. I've not seen much, but can his aggression go against him sometimes? Is he susceptible to a bit of niggle causing an explosion? I think it was him I saw up at Kawana during the Chiefs trial, throw a few after the Chiefs guy cleaned him out and held on a bit long.

Love the agro but don't want to see it spill over and cost the team. I may have it COMPLETELY wrong though, which is why I'm asking! He looks like the goods!!
More of the agro that someone like Gill has. As in he just belts everyone as hard as he can, and would run through a brick wall if he was asked too. He has significant amount of potential. I haven't seen him since the U20's and Premier Rugby last season, in which he was dominant and arguably his teams best player for both Australia and University.

I was very suprised he didn't get a contract straight away from the Reds.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
More of the agro that someone like Gill has. As in he just belts everyone as hard as he can, and would run through a brick wall if he was asked too.

Excellent! That's the sort of agro I love! I was very excited by what I saw of him and can't wait to see him have a run against the Bulls! Lots to like!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Is Butler a 7 though? I understood he was a lock or blindside flanker. He had a nice little cameo against the Hurricanes a couple of weeks back.

T

tranquility

Is Butler a 7 though? I understood he was a lock or blindside flanker. He had a nice little cameo against the Hurricanes a couple of weeks back.

Short answer, no.

He's primarily an 8 with a great skillset and footy nous, from which I am guessing Link is banking on to play as a South African type 7.
Great prospect, but I am very concerned about not having Gill. He adds so much detail and accuracy to our ruck, both with and without the ball. In saying all this, their wasn't much option as Beau is still injured.

Bloody excited to see Kev get on the field, he is so important to us. Same too Ant, and the general.

I think considering all these factors, plus the shellacking they would have received at training this week - that we should account for the brutes. Very interesting that it appears Sautia has now leapfrogged Shipperley as the starting winger, as I hear he was fit for selection this week.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
You little beauty, Kev is back. Reds lineout will be interesting without Simmons. Would have preffered Simo start over Ed. Simmo had stepped his game up in the last few weeks. I suspecrt this is only rotation but I would of prefered that Saia started also. Same reason as Simmons.

Status
Not open for further replies.