• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby wingers 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
With Mitchell confirmed to be heading overseas at the end of the year and Ioane very likely to head off-shore, the wallabies are losing their two incumbent wingers. (JOC (James O'Connor) notwithstanding) Luckily wing isn't a position we are lacking in depth in Australian rugby.

Who do you think could (or should) make up our next long term wing partnership at a national level. Folau and Mogg, although they have been playing fullback this season, as well as Speight and Tomane would have to be candidates for the Wallaby wing positions. Betham could be a smokey if he can consistently play to his ITM cup level for the remainder of the Super season. Anyone else? Remember Mafi is also heading overseas next year.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Mogg is one of the best 15's in the comp and I would love to see him stay there.

Speight, Honey Badger, Tomane, JOC (James O'Connor) and Shipperley for the wing. Can't see Folau in rugby next year so am not going to list him.

T

TOCC

11-12-13-14 and 15 are quickly becoming Australia's weakest positions, ironic considering a few years ago that's where the Wallaby strength was.

Tomane, Shippey, Cummins, CFS, Speight, Mafi, Mogg, Morahan and Folau are all contenders..

An outside back trio of Folau-Mogg-Morahan is an interesting prospect on height and size alone.

With Mitchell and Ioane leaving, the prospect of Folau receiving a bigger top-up has jumped dramatically.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mitchell has had a shocking run with injuries and has made the right decision at this time of his career. In regards to Digby I also think he has made the right decision, he should get maximum dollars as he is still a wallaby incumbent. Next year I'd like to see JOC (James O'Connor) and Speight as our first choice wingers with Mogg as fullback.

T

TOCC

Speight it obviously a good finisher, but I'd like to see him get involved more like Digby does, he is big and powerful and could be making meters up the middle as well.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Will be selected:
Flyhalf: Cooper
Inside Centre: Lealiifano, Tapuai, Barnes
Outside Centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne
Winger: Shipperly, Tomane, Speight, Vuna, JOC (James O'Connor), Cummins
Fullback: Mogg, Folau, Beale
Could be selected:
Flyhalf: To'omua, Foley
Inside Centre: Godwin, McCabe
Outside Centre: Fainga'a, Kuridrani, Smith, Inman
Winger: Crawford, Kingston, Stubbs
Fullback: Mafi

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Am in the only one that doesn't quite rate tomane? He isn't terrible by any means but I think he is average.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i quite like him. he works pretty hard off the ball and is a powerful runner - can run it up the guts.
in no order i think the true wing options are
JOC (James O'Connor), Mafi, Tomane, Speight, Cummins, Vuna, shipperley (i will include folau when he commits)
Mogg, and Beale as fullbacks and maybe folau.

Cummins and Vuna got their calls because of injury last year. people will bag vuna, but in game 1 i didin't think he was so bad and it was only his second year of rugby so i cut him some slack. injuries have been crippling this year but his super rugby form last year was excellent.

Personally i would have JOC (James O'Connor) as a roving winger and Speight as a more pure finisher.
sounds like Mafi is gone as well potentially so after the two above i would probably have Tomane and Vuna.
i like cummins and his work ethic but i think he could be a good prospect for the midfield.........and personally i think folau should be a 13 in waiting after AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moves on. that is the position where aus rugby is weakest and i would like to see some depth build there via Inman, Cummins and possibly folau.

T

TOCC

Am in the only one that doesn't quite rate tomane? He isn't terrible by any means but I think he is average.

His 2011 form was better then his 2012 form, his main asset is his tackle breaking, he has a remarkably low centre of gravity and reasonable pace.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight has been the form Australian winger for the past two years.........

He would possibly be a walk up starter for next year with Ioane leaving.......

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think once you get to international level you need to be absolutely phenomenal at one aspect of the game to have deficiencies in other areas. I classify Vuna as being lucky to ever get a gig for the wallabies, his ball-running did not cover for his inability to kick, catch and pass.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mogg is one of the best 15's in the comp and I would love to see him stay there.

Joe Roff is one of the great Wallaby wingers but played a lot of Super Rugby at 15.

Mogg's electrifying speed is a big reason to consider him on the wing. He is the fastest player in Australian Super Rugby and possibly the whole comp.

Of course it depends who you have available to select at 15 but if Beale ends up back at 15, you could easily have a back three involving Beale at fullback and Mogg on the wing. If Barnes regains fitness and plays at fullback again, that could also work. His ability under the high ball and superb last line defence on the EOYT was excellent. If you add a winger to that who is sublimely quick and has a massive boot you could get a great combination in the back three.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
speight is a great replacement for Ioane, big, tackle busting and fast. I still think it's a shame he wont play for Fiji, they need all the stars they can get.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
JOC (James O'Connor) playing 14, which is undoubtedly his best position, probably depends on the Wallaby coaching position. If Dingo is still in the hot seat JOC (James O'Connor) could still be playing 10, however if Link has been installed I'd expect JOC (James O'Connor) to be cast in stone as the Wallaby 14.
A fully fit and firing Beale is the first choice 15. Then comes the hard part, you guys have plenty of options for the 11 jersey. Already in the back 3 you've got two guys who like to come in and take the ball at 1st/2nd receiver and create something. With that in made I'd go for someone who is quick, physical and can break tackles, so step forward Henry Speight.

That gives a first choice back 3 of:

Speight, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor)

with back up being:

Cummins, Mogg, Folau

Only note on Folau being I think if he stays in rugby he could move inside to 13, but either way he'd still be a decent back up winger.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
At this stage I'm sorta expecting Folau to stay in rugby.

It wont have gone unnoticed by the ARU that a) there is a number of established Wallabies outside backs that are calling it a day b) After only several months in rugby Folau already looks like he could be a test great c) they are no doubt aware that they'll look foolish if he leaves rugby all together after the ARU made a sizable investment.

After his horrible experience in AFL there's no doubt Folau's expectations coming into rugby would have been low and he would have been planning to move back to league as soon as an opportunity presented itself. But Folau's probably starting to feel good about where he sits at the moment. He looks comfortable on the field and looks to be enjoying his rugby. He appears to be building some good relationships with his team members. The buzz in Aus rugby is fairly positive at the moment and later this year Folau is going to get to be a part of an amazing event, the likes of which are not available in League. I think folau might be keen to kick on after this year particularly with the carrot of an upcoming world cup (2015) and possible Olympics appearance (2016) dangled in front of him by the ARU, along with a fairly lucrative deal which will surely match (if not beat) whatever offers come from the NRL clubs.

I think Folau will either stay or alternatively go back to league for 1 year, only to return for the world cup.

fingers crossed.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
If Folau stays in rugby, Beale gets back to 100% and Mogg converts to wing, a back three of :
11: Mogg
14: Folau
15: Beale
Could be pretty lethal. (Assuming JOC (James O'Connor) is at 10 or 12)

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Im also surprised no one has mentioned Davies. Will he be forever on the outer after Samoa? Regardless, the large amount of names being bandied about indicates that there are more than two obvious wingers who could be up to it. Which has to be a good thing.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
the fastest player in australia would always have a spot in my wallabies squad (assuming they can catch)
a good coach will use a players strengths and hide deficiencies
i really like davies and would try find room for him but if mogg is faster (or as fast) and brings a massive boot with him- he'd take that spot

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
i really like davies and would try find room for him but if mogg is faster (or as fast) and brings a massive boot with him- he'd take that spot

Mogg is so much more of a complete footballer than Rod Davies.

Rod Davies is close to a one trick pony (i.e. his pace). He isn't excellent in any other other skill areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.