• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

George Smith will be the Wallabies danger man v the Lions because....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
G&GR has been challenged to write 400 words on the above by end of play Monday.

Any ideas?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He is the complete player.

Dominant tackles
Ball skills
Pilferring ability
Leadership and experience

Ability to play other back row positions - helping flexibility and balance in the team. His inclusion allows us to 'change up' the game plan if required. He can simply go hard at 7 and be replaced by gill or hooper later, he could come off the bench and play at 8 or 6 to provide a more dominant breakdown while not reducing running ability of the pack or start at 7 and move to 8 later.

In fact you could say he is the 'joker' in the pack. A point of difference to the lions.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He combines the best attributes of Pocock, Gill and Hooper into one player. All three of those players are better than any open-side flanker currently playing in the Northern Hemisphere on their own. The only thing Smith lacks would be the raw pace of Hooper. Other than that he is as strong a pilferer as both Gill and Pocock and as was evidenced in the Brumbies v. Reds match he still has that magical ability to avoid the official's whistle. He has an excellent linking game like Liam Gill and also has the footwork and explosiveness in traffic of Hooper allowing him to create space for other players on his own. He has play-making ability and even played 12 multiple times during his stint in France. He brings an extra element of dynamism to the forward play of his team overall through this aspect of his play. He's just as big as Pocock and has no issue going over top of players when he has to. I don't need to speak to his experience, if you don't already know of it you're on the wrong forum. If Smith starts for the Wallabies with a rookie like Tipuric, or even worse, a poor excuse for a 7 like Chris Robshaw playing for the Lions I think "hands off gold 7" will echo in the nightmares of Warren Gatland this August.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
He will be the danger man because the Lions have no comparable fetcher and all round back row. If St Sam is the captain as the bookies predict, he will get a lesson in openside play from Smith. Although in fairness it doesn't matter which of the 7's Australia play, Hooper, Gill or Smith are a different class to anything the Lions can offer at 7.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
I do not think he would be the danger man.
i agree to disagree.
he may not be dangerous in terms of scoring tries, but he pilfers the ball back.
no ball no try.
genia said it, 'george is everywhere on the field'

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
He combines the best attributes of Pocock, Gill and Hooper into one player. All three of those players are better than any open-side flanker currently playing in the Northern Hemisphere on their own. The only thing Smith lacks would be the raw pace of Hooper. Other than that he is as strong a pilferer as both Gill and Pocock and as was evidenced in the Brumbies v. Reds match he still has that magical ability to avoid the official's whistle. He has an excellent linking game like Liam Gill and also has the footwork and explosiveness in traffic of Hooper allowing him to create space for other players on his own. He has play-making ability and even played 12 multiple times during his stint in France. He brings an extra element of dynamism to the forward play of his team overall through this aspect of his play. He's just as big as Pocock and has no issue going over top of players when he has to. I don't need to speak to his experience, if you don't already know of it you're on the wrong forum. If Smith starts for the Wallabies with a rookie like Tipuric, or even worse, a poor excuse for a 7 like Chris Robshaw playing for the Lions I think "hands off gold 7" will echo in the nightmares of Warren Gatland this August.

could not have put it any better myself

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He will be the danger man because the Lions have no comparable fetcher and all round back row. If St Sam is the captain as the bookies predict, he will get a lesson in openside play from Smith. Although in fairness it doesn't matter which of the 7's Australia play, Hooper, Gill or Smith are a different class to anything the Lions can offer at 7.

In which case could I direct you to the thread about selecting a backrow with balance. If you have no world class "fetcher" 7 don't play a game that requires it. Change the backrow structures to play a counter RUCK game instead of a hands in game. Make it so that any time the pilferer tries to put their hands in its already a ruck, and make it obvious that this is the case, and secondly drive past the ball at the RUCK.

Sounds simply I know but, if you can't pick a pilfer at 7 don't play as if you have one.

On the Smith Question, 400 words is a big ask.

Backrow balance, experience not only in his play but for the whole squad, versatility to play the whole backrow,, all round skills, consistency in execution.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
We've lost the world's best defensive player in Pocock. the man who had to be odds on favourite to win man of the series.

It's surely fate that the stars aligned for smith, who was pushed out of the team for the young buck, to return. He's not only the one man who could fill his boots, but he'll be looking to completely steal bambams thunder. ..Redemption.

Class is permanent

Scotty

David Codey (61)
While I wrote about Smith being the key to the wallabies, I would suggest that Genia is even more so. Maybe Smith is just the forward key?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Ha - thanks for the contribution Rassie!
Lol I am sorry but ever word help and that will leave you with about 385 words only.

But seriously. Danger man no. A key player? Most certainly. The Australian back 3 will be a key for those quick recycles.

But if one look at try scoring one have to look where most come from. Attacking line outs and turn over ball. Gatland tactics normally include in try to keep the ball in play when booted in their 22 rather than letting it role out. Then they will run it up a bit and then do the kick and chase without giving away that line out. He do not let his teams give away line outs in your half. They will do kick and chase after the run it a up a few times.

I really think Barnes would be the danger guy if he plays at 10. Especially if the Lions make use of the Out-In rugby league style defense which leaves space behing the wingers as they are coming in and commit earlier

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
i agree to disagree.
he may not be dangerous in terms of scoring tries, but he pilfers the ball back.
no ball no try.
genia said it, 'george is everywhere on the field'
Key player I agree. But I remember 2001 how the Lions try to neutralize Smith and did it with good effect in that first test. They grabbed onto his shirt tugging him holding him off the ball at every moment. When BOD scored his try you could see him in the background throwing his hands in the air and the expression he had said it all. WTF guys do you call that defense

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In which case could I direct you to the thread about selecting a backrow with balance. If you have no world class "fetcher" 7 don't play a game that requires it. Change the backrow structures to play a counter RUCK game instead of a hands in game. Make it so that any time the pilferer tries to put their hands in its already a ruck, and make it obvious that this is the case, and secondly drive past the ball at the RUCK.

Sounds simply I know but, if you can't pick a pilfer at 7 don't play as if you have one.

On the Smith Question, 400 words is a big ask.

Backrow balance, experience not only in his play but for the whole squad, versatility to play the whole backrow,, all round skills, consistency in execution.

If you watch the Reds vs Blues game, the Blues did this really well and severely limited Liam Gill's impact on the match. He was always at the ruck trying to pilfer as he normally does but the clean out was so fast and efficient he had very little opportunity.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If you watch the Reds vs Blues game, the Blues did this really well and severely limited Liam Gill's impact on the match. He was always at the ruck trying to pilfer as he normally does but the clean out was so fast and efficient he had very little opportunity.

Reds forwards as a whole were pretty stuffed though. Less dominant tackles less pressure at the ruck.

Very similar thing happened in the first brumbies game and gill was outplayed by Pocock because of this.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It might be too late for your submission Gagger, but one Smith's key traits is his ability to make telling contributions at key moments in games. When the game is there to be won or lost, great players step up to make a difference. Smith is one of those. Contrast with some of the more celebrated (recently anyway) players who look great but go missing when the key moments arise (or make mistakes in those plays). Genia is also good at this.

Hooper and Gill haven't yet shown, to my satisfaction, that they have this ability. That, and Smith's strength across all facets of a backrower's role, are the reasons he should be the starting 7 and why, in my view, he will be a danger to the Lions.

Being a "danger" doesn't require him to be an attacking weapon. Simply slowing down Lions ball, making key tackles and turnovers would be enough.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
It might be too late for your submission Gagger, but one Smith's key traits is his ability to make telling contributions at key moments in games. When the game is there to be won or lost, great players step up to make a difference. Smith is one of those. Contrast with some of the more celebrated (recently anyway) players who look great but go missing when the key moments arise (or make mistakes in those plays). Genia is also good at this.

Hooper and Gill haven't yet shown, to my satisfaction, that they have this ability. That, and Smith's strength across all facets of a backrower's role, are the reasons he should be the starting 7 and why, in my view, he will be a danger to the Lions.

Being a "danger" doesn't require him to be an attacking weapon. Simply slowing down Lions ball, making key tackles and turnovers would be enough.
One of my favorite quotes. Don't know who said it but it goes like this.
"Offense sells tickets; Defense wins championships."

Status
Not open for further replies.