• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He must be impressing at training. I'm actually quite interested to see how he goes.

He's certainly big enough. I was not all that impressed - only on the basis of a replay of the Eastwood vs Camperdown Corporation clash, admittedly.

My guess is that he is at least 8 kgs overweight. Puppy fat. :)

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

As was being discussed on the "Thoughts on Folau" thread, where will Barnes slot in if the side goes well against the Kings? Hard to say that any of 10, 12 or 15 need replacement at present. He can kick goals, which we desperately need. I would guess Horne would be the most likely to move to the bench, purely because he's been solid rather than spectacular.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think horne has been in career best form of late
as with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
i think if barnes is to start it might be at fullback > simply to give falau some time on the wing as everyones expecting him to play there for the wallabies> plus it would help with falaus development to watch how barnes does it from the wing

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I reckon Barnes should come back from the bench to spell Foley, Horne or Folau. I'd like to see if he can actually play the game plan -- his brief foray before the injury weren't super encouraging. Mitchell would be fine to start, perhaps at the expense of Kingston. I've really liked what I've seen from Crawford. He's a smart footballer.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
What I'd be after with Mitchell and Barnes back would be
9. Lucas
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Crawford
15. Folau

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can't see Barnes coming back into the starting XV. I think that the backs have been really starting to get some combination going, especially the midfield of Foley, Horne & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). The wingers, I'd have 2 of Mitchell, Crawford & Kingston as Betham makes too many mistakes. Folau is killing it at 15 (the Sth Africans and Kiwis can see it, but many Aussies still seem to have doubts - not sure why) - why would you want him to watch Barnes in action. Barnes is a completely different type of player - a smart foootballer, but the kick is his default option and he rarely looks to counter. I spent weeks asking for Lucas to be given the opportunity and although I don't think McKibben is the answer long term, Cheika as persevered with him for 11 weeks so I can't see that change happening.

Before concluding, I'd like to address the issue of Folau making elementary mistakes. From time to time, yes he does something which points to lack of rugby experience, but there are players in that team who have been playing rugby since they were 6 making exactly the same type of basic error. At least Folau seems to learn from his mistakes and rarely repeats them, some of these guys do the same dumb things every week.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What I'd be after with Mitchell and Barnes back would be
9. Lucas
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Crawford
15. Folau

I really don't think Horne has done anything to be dropped. In fact, he was our best back after Folau against the Bulls. He's been breaking the line and even passing effectively. He's a strong defender and his first instinct with the ball is to attack. He actually -- perhaps surprisingly -- seems to be relishing Cheika's system. Barnes is not an obvious fit and unless he plays much, much flatter than he has in the past, he could really bog down the attack.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I agree Barnes won't go back into the starting XV, but I'm sure Cheika would like to have him as a bench option - I would have been much happier to see Berrick running out at the 65 minute mark last Saturday, instead of Volavola. VV is definitely one for the future, but not for closing out matches at Loftus just yet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs Rugby Limited today reported a net operating profit for the second year running.

After contributing $1,131,784 to the community game through license fees and other grants to the New South Wales Rugby Union, Waratahs Rugby recorded a positive net operating profit of $64,745 for the year ending December 31, 2012.

Full article and 2012 off-field achievements: http://bit.ly/ZST34v

What a fantastic result! With a massive operating profit of $64,745 we could do almost anything.

I suggest we employ John O'Neill as a consultant. I reckon that could buy about a week and a half of his time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Waratahs Rugby Limited today reported a net operating profit for the second year running.

After contributing $1,131,784 to the community game through license fees and other grants to the New South Wales Rugby Union, Waratahs Rugby recorded a positive net operating profit of $64,745 for the year ending December 31, 2012.

What a fantastic result! With a massive operating profit of $64,745 we could do almost anything.

I suggest we employ John O'Neill as a consultant. I reckon that could buy about a week and a half of his time.

I only had the most brief scan through the Balance sheet and accounts of the NSWRU 2012 Annual report and IIRC they recorded a loss for the year, even after $1.1m from Tahs.

I'll have to have another look at the NSW RU figures to make sure.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

That's a week and a half part time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
For the Stormers game if everyone is fit, and depending on performances against the Kings:

9. McKibbin (We know what he provides, Lucas has been a bit to hot & cold in his limited minutes)
10. Foley (Obviously)
12. Horne (Playing very well at the moment and is starting to distribute as well)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (In great form, along with Horne, his bruising midfield defense was one of the reasons why we were in the game last week)
11. Mitchell (If actually fit picks himself)
14. Folau (In great form at fullback but time on the wing would be good for his potential Lions tour development)
15. Barnes (A steady head and boot was missed last week against the Bulls)

Crawford and Kingston the casualties from the Bulls games, not that either of them were terrible.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am fairly sure that if the Tahs had had a more successful year the licence fee paid to NSWRU would be higher.

I believe the base fee is $1-1.175 million on an increasing scale over the five year deal with more to be paid if profit/revenue is over a certain amount.

Next year is the last year to run on this deal. It will be interesting to see if NSWRU takes the Tahs back in-house in 2015.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For the Stormers game if everyone is fit, and depending on performances against the Kings:

9. McKibbin (We know what he provides, Lucas has been a bit to hot & cold in his limited minutes)
10. Foley (Obviously)
12. Horne (Playing very well at the moment and is starting to distribute as well)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (In great form, along with Horne, his bruising midfield defense was one of the reasons why we were in the game last week)
11. Mitchell (If actually fit picks himself)
14. Folau (In great form at fullback but time on the wing would be good for his potential Lions tour development)
15. Barnes (A steady head and boot was missed last week against the Bulls)

Crawford and Kingston the casualties from the Bulls games, not that either of them were terrible.

I don't mind giving Barnes a crack at fullback. Having Barnes return the ball and be able to pass to Folau who is trying to put himself into a gap could be a great attacking weapon.

The one time where Folau hasn't really had a go is when he takes a kick deep in his own half and passes it off to one of the wingers to either kick or run the ball back.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
With your crowd figures at the moment I'd be happy with that! I think if the team continues to play well crowds will go up and you'll be in a good place.

Ground breaking I know. Play well = bigger crowds. I'm known for this kind of ground breaking off the wall thinking.
Given the anger and frustration of Tahs fans last year, this is a good result.
As Sully says,it would appear that crowd figures can only improve.
The big challenge is to replace HSBC is the stories are correct.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Could have been worse. After last year's performances a loss would have been a very real prospect I would have thought.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Despite the positivity on the field, this year will likely be worse for Tahs Inc. The 15K crowds may be passionate, but last year's average attendance was certainly higher. Perhaps the Lions game will come to the rescue here as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Despite the positivity on the field, this year will likely be worse for Tahs Inc. The 15K crowds may be passionate, but last year's average attendance was certainly higher. Perhaps the Lions game will come to the rescue here as well.

More interested in watching the side learning to catch and pass than attendances.

Play good rugby and they will come

Status
Not open for further replies.