• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drugs in sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
So they have retired Black Caviar out of fear that her unbeaten run will be ended by an entry from Cronulla Sharks or the Essendon Football Club.

Funnily enough Black Caviars blood samples are being reviewed in the UK in the steroid inquiry. Although steroids are legal for horses in Australia they aren't in the UK, and given the recent scandal there it seems a lot of Aussie horses whose samples could be re tested. In fact some UK trainers want Aussie horses banned completely.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A mungo thought it was appropriate to attend ASADA wearing his thongs: memories of the Bulldogs and the Coffs Harbour rape case.

No charges, no court case, no conviction, no rape. But yeah, lots of thongs, shorts and baseball caps.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
No charges, no court case, no conviction, no rape. But yeah, lots of thongs, shorts and baseball caps.

The said mungo has apologised for his dress sense (or lack of it). I suppose that it makes it alright in his eyes.

These mungoes just don't get it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The said mungo has apologised for his dress sense (or lack of it). I suppose that it makes it alright in his eyes.

These mungoes just don't get it.
I am evidently the odd one out here: its not what I would wear or what I hope my kids would wear to a formal thing like this but I don't get the big deal.
Its not like ASADA has behaved professionally - why should we demand a higher standard of these kids than we do of them.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The story behind the Bulldogs casual attire is that they were ordered by the police to attend a hearing immediately. They were training at the time of this order and told (by the police) not to waste time changing.

But hang on. A race horse peptide has been implicated in the death of a player. Surely everything else is just white noise.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
One of the head honchos of WADA was on the radio this morning, and made a point I hadn't heard elsewhere: that ASADA couldn't use any of the evidence provided by the Australian Crime Commission (which was the basis of the big press conference earlier in the year), and therefore had to go out and re-collect all that evidence themselves before charging anyone.

That would be an explanation for why there has been so much hoo-haa without anyone actually being charged, but really: What? How on earth could evidence collected by one supposed law-enforcement agency be unusable in this way?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One of the head honchos of WADA was on the radio this morning, and made a point I hadn't heard elsewhere: that ASADA couldn't use any of the evidence provided by the Australian Crime Commission (which was the basis of the big press conference earlier in the year), and therefore had to go out and re-collect all that evidence themselves before charging anyone.

That would be an explanation for why there has been so much hoo-haa without anyone actually being charged, but really: What? How on earth could evidence collected by one supposed law-enforcement agency be unusable in this way?
Did he say why they couldn't use it?
Which radio station?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Did he say why they couldn't use it?
Which radio station?

No, didn't elaborate and wasn't questioned further. Here's the transcript from ABC AM this morning:

DAVID HOWMAN: Well look, I think the investigation is taking its place in the normal fashion. The one thing that I was not aware of until I visited Australia recently was that all the information that had been gathered by the crime commission cannot be used as evidence per say by the Australian sports anti-doping agency. So, what they have to do is re-collect the information in such a way that they can present it as evidence in any one of their tribunals.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3752236.htm

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
No, didn't elaborate and wasn't questioned further. Here's the transcript from ABC AM this morning:

DAVID HOWMAN: Well look, I think the investigation is taking its place in the normal fashion. The one thing that I was not aware of until I visited Australia recently was that all the information that had been gathered by the crime commission cannot be used as evidence per say by the Australian sports anti-doping agency. So, what they have to do is re-collect the information in such a way that they can present it as evidence in any one of their tribunals.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3752236.htm
Probably use of coercive powers and/or informant related to an existing investigation and they don't want to burn him. Possibly both. Possibly incidental information gathered through physical or electronic surveillance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought they could use incidental information?
That's how they caught all those involved in the "jockey tapes" saga.
According to their website if they use the coercive powers there are restrictions on how he information gathered can then be used:
http://www.crimecommission.gov.au/our-work/coercive-powers.
Even so it does not explain the decision to go public - the material gathered under coercion should have been used to inform and allow targeting of more traditional investigative methods, I would have thought.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
According to their website if they use the coercive powers there are restrictions on how he information gathered can then be used:
http://www.crimecommission.gov.au/our-work/coercive-powers.
Even so it does not explain the decision to go public - the material gathered under coercion should have been used to inform and allow targeting of more traditional investigative methods, I would have thought.
True. I don't think they can "self refer" though (meaning their investigations must be referred to them by the ACC Board). How it got to ASADA is an interesting exercise in speculation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
True. I don't think they can "self refer" though (meaning their investigations must be referred to them by the ACC Board). How it got to ASADA is an interesting exercise in speculation.
I doubt we'll ever know what went on and why it happened the way it did.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Still waiting for something - anything from anyone involved in the ridiculous political stunt that was the Presser that announced the Darkest Day in Australian Sport.

ASADA appears to have been beaten by one mungo in thongs who claims he is unable to paint a picture about his career because he is an athlete not a painter.

Wish they would put up or apologise to all honest athletes and sportspersons for their grandstanding.

Methinks that the darkest days we will see in Australian sport this year will be in the annual ritual humiliation called the Bloodyslow cup when The Darkness retain the bloody thing again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With one of the worlds best Mungoballers up on Drink Driving charges at the moment, another under suspician of assaulting a female friend, several others including one of Heavensgames finest dealing with associated alcohol and/or gambling demons, not to mention the various Tom Waterhouse sports gambiling issues, this little black duck is left wondering if it is Performance Enhancing Drugs and Organised Crime that are the Blackest things in Australian Sport or is it Gambling and Alcohol?

The latter two seem to have had more impact this year and brought more people, sports, and clubs into disrepute than any thing that the Sports Minister and ASADA have uncovered.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
With one of the worlds best Mungoballers up on Drink Driving charges at the moment, another under suspician of assaulting a female friend, several others including one of Heavensgames finest dealing with associated alcohol and/or gambling demons, not to mention the various Tom Waterhouse sports gambiling issues, this little black duck is left wondering if it is Performance Enhancing Drugs and Organised Crime that are the Blackest things in Australian Sport or is it Gambling and Alcohol?

The latter two seem to have had more impact this year and brought more people, sports, and clubs into disrepute than any thing that the Sports Minister and ASADA have uncovered.
Its one of the bitter sweet aspects of our game's niche position in this land: do we really want to be top of a pile of codes if top of that pile sees Tom Waterhouse's teeth gleaming from in front of every scrum - god knows there are so many (scrums, that is) in our game it would be a marketing bonanza for him.
You could bet on individual lineouts.
And the scrutiny under which a bloke like the coach, Herd, operates at Essendon seems to have him on the bloody things as well.
And look at the constant scandals ($45m of tax payer's money) enveloping FIFA.
As I say, these are the trappings of populism with which we contend only vaguely in heaven's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.