• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Your latest Music 'find'

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Let's agree to disagree. I loved their first four albums and hated their latest two.

for sure, no worries. We kinda touched on recording qual, and there is an element of that in my admiration for the muse track in particular, absolutely stunning. Yeah, might not be your cup of tea musically but strangely enough I liked musically as well as production wise (as I said not their greatest fan, esp when they do ballads!)

Unless you have an inferior copy/download of the album, I think you're just talking about the style of the recording rather than the quality.

Indie rock in the mid 2000s was full of fuzzy guitars and that production style was common.

Muddy and confused. (oops, see it could be read the wrong way, talking about the album not your statement heh heh)

I still think there's lots of great music being released. You've just got to find it.

That was my constant mantra too, have used it on plenty of old humbugs myself in the past, trouble is that I think now it's me that has become the humbug. Or is that a ho-humbug?:)

Anyway, it's kind of a truism ain't it.

What sort of system do you guys have for music? Is that a topic of interest top anyone here??

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What sort of system do you guys have for music? Is that a topic of interest top anyone here??

I would say that the majority of the music I listen to these days is in the car. Generally that's on either CD or my iPod plugged into the stereo.

At home I really just use my DVD player connected to the TV or the iPod connected via cable to the TV.

Clearly these are pretty average options in terms of music quality, but I just don't listen to enough music at home to justify a good hifi.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
ok, cool. Funny you mention the car (sounds like I'm harping on this but not really, nice little link is all) I recall distinctly listening to the first BP album, and thinking 'yeah, damned good'. But put it on the main system and end up 'oh yuck'. So quality wise that's definitely one for the car and only the car. Sadly plenty of this ilk fall into that category and you're correct, it could be the mastering of the time that hopefully are dissappearing.

anyway, highly unlikely that stereo systems per se would be of great interest, it is kind of a dedicated sub niche.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
New is relative. If you want to get literal everything I posted came out in the past year ;)

I see frat-rap has finally landed in Australia though, sorry about that.

In other news I was cleaning this morning and found my old Ipod mini from high school..so much amazing music on here I'd totally forgotten about!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've seen TV on the Radio live a few times. Great band.

Wolf Like Me is an all time classic indie anthem!

One of my favourite bands is Spoon. Pretty much all their albums are great.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
fav spoon album is the second to last (name escapes me right now) but yeah, britt daniels does some great stuff.

What has surprised me is that some of the bands I used to get into in the eighties are still going. The last couple of yello albums are fantastic, and the waterboys are still going, only found THAT one out when I heard they were touring. So had to take my daughter along. Had just assumed they finished way back with fishermans blues.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Got put up for Philly..

Some more music in the same vein

(This is a mashup of DWYCK by Gang Starr and Guns of Brixton by The Clash that I literally cannot find anywhere else but his video)

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
A few years ago I was in The Cotton Club in Shanghai, and I remember this fat bloke up on stage with one hell of a distinctive voice, doing his take on some classic jazz, blues numbers. Finally managed to track him down, name is Matthew "Cadillac" Cooper. Not much on youtube of this bloke to post, but if you like this sort of music, it's well worth finding it on itunes & having a listen. His version of Hey Joe is fantastic, I bought the album on the spot (him with the Curtis King band) and it's been on regular rotation since.

If you guys ever find yourself in Shanghai, I guarantee you, an evening at the Cotton Club will be one of the best things you can do there. Even if you don't like this genre of music. It just has this real old school chicago feel to it which you can't really describe. Even my wife loved it.

EDIT: found this on youtube. Covering a Hendrix classic, Little Wing

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I regularly listen to the Toronto radio station CHUM-FM on my wi-fi radio and hear a lot of Canadian music. This band from Vancouver, Marianas Trench, have a series of music videos with a story line featuring a rather good looking girl.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
How about a rediscovery of sorts?

Have gone off live music in the last few years but am excited for this tour. Have not seen Muse live since 2004 and am probably going to be screaming like a 15yo girl at a One Direction gig.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
No4918

I don't think they are as good as they were as when they were touring for Absolution/Origin of Symmetry BUT that is almost entirely because I don't like the direction they have taken their music in.

That said M. Bellamy is one of the most talented performers alive today, he is seriously unreal. The guys played their hearts out both times I saw them and really put a lot into their shows - also sound very good live.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not usually a fan of hip hop but the triple J Live at the wireless podcast of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis at the Enmore Theatre is a cracker (if you can get hold of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.