• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley in Trouble Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Don't discount the monumentally low IQ some of these guys seem to be lumbered with.

Cause-Effect.

"I'm not allowed to drink and I've signed an agreement stating I won't. If I drink I will be suspended and my very comfortable income and living may be in jeopardy."

Yet he still drinks! He's either a) monumentally stupid and unable to process consequences; or b) ambivalent about his career in rugby and couldn't care about his contract.

Let him go.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
JEEEEEEEEEESUS

How many chances does this bloke need? Does he have rocks for Brains?

Please Kurtley, I beg you.. don't go walkabout like Andrew Walker just yet.

Jeez - Do a "Walk-er" please.
This bloke has incredible talent, has got to the top of his profession and then just shits downhill on everyone that supports him.

Bloke needs to be rubbed out of ever playing representative rugby again - at national and franchise levels - Go to Mungoland FFS.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I don't think anyone thought he would be reformed. I think we thought he would take his job a bit more seriously though.

I mean, he MUST have a real problem for this to happen again so quickly or he just doesn't care.

That is the point. He does have a very serious problem with alcohol. He could spend the rest of his life fighting it.

I liked how Greenberg handled Barba. He stated that Barba had a major problem and could be away from the game for up to 2 seasons. The open ended time frame seemed to focus him very quickly.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Don't discount the monumentally low IQ some of these guys seem to be lumbered with.

Cause-Effect.

"I'm not allowed to drink and I've signed an agreement stating I won't. If I drink I will be suspended and my very comfortable income and living may be in jeopardy."

Yet he still drinks! He's either a) monumentally stupid and unable to process consequences; or b) ambivalent about his career in rugby and couldn't care about his contract.

Let him go.
I agree let him go.
I dont agree that he is necessarily, either, stupid or indifferent or both.
I'm not an alcoholic but I am prepared to accept that for someone who is there is (or can be), almost, no question of free will about it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Man there's a fair amount of vitriol on this thread.

He needs more counselling. Sure moving from Melbourne may help, but it won't solve the problems he appears to be facing. This is not a rugby problem, it's a young person who needs help problem. If what I'm hearing is right, then he needs to regain some self esteem. Playing rugby appears to be the least of worries right now. Good luck to him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bloke needs to be rubbed out of ever playing representative rugby again - at national and franchise levels - Go to Mungoland FFS.

I disagree. I reckon it is lame to cast someone out and make it someone else's problem.

Rugby union should try and help the bloke rather than just dismiss him.

By all means stand him down, but don't just say you want nothing to do with him anymore.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The Rebels and ARU have a duty of care to ensure the right support systems are in place for their employees. They're young precocious men who would all benefit from strong mentoring.

There's also a reasonable expectation that these well-paid young men accept that they have a degree of responsibility for their health and well-being.

There comes a point in everyone's lives where they need to step up in the adult world and take that responsibility.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How much counselling can one person endure?
I dont advocate cutting him adrift as such but he does have to accept that this is his demon and he either beats it or it beats him.
Unless and until he accepts that he has no real chance of making a sustained and worthwhile contribution to the world.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
A lot of people keen to sink the boot in here. He's clearly a very unhappy young man with a lot of deep-seated issues. Hopefully he can work his way through them without hurting himself any further.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Rebels and ARU have a duty of care to ensure the right support systems are in place for their employees. They're young precocious men who would all benefit from strong mentoring.

There's also a reasonable expectation that these well-paid young men accept that they have a degree of responsibility for their health and well-being.

There comes a point in everyone's lives where they need to step up in the adult world and take that responsibility.

Issues like this know no age boundaries. There are many 'old' adults that find themselves / choose to be in these situations also.

In relation to the duty of care, its the individual who chooses how much they want their employer involved in this. Sure the club can assign a mentor, but its the individual who must engage in that process. In my experience it cannot be contrived or it won't last.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In relation to the duty of care, its the individual who chooses how much they want their employer involved in this. Sure the club can assign a mentor, but its the individual who must engage in that process. In my experience it cannot be contrived or it won't last.

I absolutely agree with this.

It is up to the rugby fraternity (the ARU and the Rebels) to extend the olive branch and offer to help him though. How much KB (Kurtley Beale) engages in that is then up to him.

The Rebels are fine to stand him down for this game for breaking his agreement but it would also be naive of them to think that all his problems were now going to be solved with a month or so off and a bunch of counselling sessions.

From the reports so far he had a drink but didn't actually do anything bad outside of that. You would hope that the Rebels continue to offer support for the rest of the season and potentially get him back playing in a couple of weeks.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
one beer does not a triumphant return to a life of alcoholism make. Along the way to control what has been reported to be a drinking problem anyone (professional athletes included) will have slip ups. If anyone has quit smoking they will know then even a successful quitter will have the occasional slip up along the way, but it doesn't mean the whole process is a lost cause.

I agree he shouldn't have had a beer, but he did. The true test will be whether or not he continues his process to reform, or slips back in to old habits. If it were my decision that would be the test as to whether or not it was time to "cut him loose" as most are suggesting.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree let him go.
I dont agree that he is necessarily, either, stupid or indifferent or both.
I'm not an alcoholic but I am prepared to accept that for someone who is there is (or can be), almost, no question of free will about it.
Aren't you leaping to conclusion there?
My take was that he considers himself too valuable and was above being disciplined for breaching team standards.
If you are right,and he does have this problem, and is seeking help.I would have thought the Rebels should not have rushed him back so soon.
If you are right and he is not seeking help, then the Rebels should not have re instated him at all.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
At the end of the day beale isnt going to change his situation unless he himself has made a conscious decision to do so.

The Aru, rebels, his team mates and his family can provide him with all the support and encouragement possible but the decision and the sticking to that decision is up to him.

Would be shame to see his career fizzle out to nothing. But there is not a lot more anyone can do - he's his own man and this has to be close to his last chance. Hopefully he realises that.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It seems that the only thing that is saving KB (Kurtley Beale) at the moment is his talent and previous exploits on the rugby field. I think a less talented or less experienced squad player would have been cut adrift by now. I don't think KB (Kurtley Beale) should be cut adrift nor would I advocate it in the case of a fringe squad player. As has been mentioned by many others there is a duty of care involved here.

The main problem, as I see it anyway, is that everything is revolving around KBs involvement in rugby rather than revolving around helping him to manage a huge burden in his life. It seems that things have been put to KB (Kurtley Beale) in terms of don't drink and go to counselling as conditions of him playing rugby again. Those should be steps along the way to KB (Kurtley Beale) being able to manage his condition for the rest of his life.

But for them to work KB (Kurtley Beale) has to want help, from the outside it seems he's try to comply as best he can so that he can get back to playing rugby. KBs actions are not those of someone who has acknowledged he has a problem and is seeking help to cope. I think he should be stood down indefinitely, not until such time as KB (Kurtley Beale) toes the line or whatever other language is being bandied about, until such time as KB (Kurtley Beale) acknowledges he has a problem, seeks help and is on the road to managing that problem on a day to day basis.

There should be no talk of playing against the Lions as what KB (Kurtley Beale) is struggling with is much more important than any rugby test series. It's about the rest of his life and he hasn't even begun to fight yet. Counselling etc. is a good start, but I'd like to see some Wallaby legends or sporting greats from other sports step in and talk to KB (Kurtley Beale) about their addictions. Someone he can look up to but also someone who can understand how it is for KB (Kurtley Beale). More importantly someone who can tell KB (Kurtley Beale) straight how it is. How they continue to struggle on a daily basis to keep on the wagon and how it's a long tough road but it's still possible.

To those wondering why KB (Kurtley Beale) can't simply knock the booze on the head and show some willpower, the reason is that the very thing that made his susceptible to addiction makes it infinitely harder for him to say no than to those of us lucky to not be afflicted by it. It's not a case of being able to stay off the booze for X number of months and then it will be so much easier. There is no cure for alcoholism and the temptation won't get any less.

Add to that mates who think that "one drink won't hurt" and I'm surprised that KB (Kurtley Beale) has lasted this long to be honest. People with addictions tend to surround themselves with friends who'll encourage their addictions. I wouldn't be surprised if some of KBs mates suffer in the same way he does, but obviously less publicly, but they all keep each other in the same situation.

I feel really sorry for the guy and I hope the Rebels and the ARU don't just cut him loose. He needs a hell of a lot of help, but first he needs to acknowledge that. The fact that seeking that help will probably rule him out of the Lions series won't help the situation either. Even though most people have already ruled him out as long as there's a glimmer of hope to play then for him it will be about, "what do I need to do to get back playing?", rather than "what do I need to do to get help to turn my life around?".

I wish the guy all the best and I hope he does get the help he needs. It may mean a very long time until we see him on a rugby field again. But I for one would rather he gets the help he needs even if we are deprived of seeing such a talented player for some time. The rest of his life is worth a lot more than more viewing pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.