• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is this the same Lauries squad that has lost its last 2 games by about 50 points?

I haven't seen any games, but purely on scores/results this must be one of the worst, if not the worst, SLC team ever.
Do remember that they came up against Eddies AND Ashgrove, two of the strongest teams in the competition.

rugbynutter87

Frank Row (1)
Away from a 1st XV tone. Its no longer acceptable to have teams turn up for a fight - this is so old school and really deflated the tone of such good games yesterday at Shorncliffe . Yesterday's demonstration by the 3rds was disgraceful. The Referee began losing control early on in the game and things started to get out of hand. Our Iona 3rds (including bench and touch judge) decided to join a mele on the field. I'll give Pats their dues, the bench stayed where they were and players and crowd were trying to pull the fight apart. The game was called off - rightfully so, but the boys decided to openly do a warcry celebrating their victory openly encouraged by the coach. This is not rugby, I was ashamed to be an Iona supporter and anyone with any clout needs to sort this crap out or we are doomed to see schoolboy rugby lost to the local Rugby League mentality.

expert123

Stan Wickham (3)
I think we should start talking about possible AIC rep teams!

I'll have a crack to start it of.

AIC 1

1. Afele - SEC
4. McCully - SEC (Maybe, seems to run over people in AIC but I can't see the forward pack for GPS 1,2 and 3 being scared of him. But saying that, McCully does deserve an AIC 1 or 2 spot.)
5. Yak - IONA
6. Tully - SEC
7. Clarke - ASHGROVE
8. Wilkin - IONA
9. Turner - SEC
10. Turpin - SEC
12. Junior - SPC
13. Humphrey's - SEC
14. Devine - ASHGROVE
15. Setu - SEC

Notes: Haven't seen any real good wingers yet. A heavily dominated SEC team, Tully probably will make AIC 2 instead of AIC 1. Afele definitely AIC 2, maybe AIC 1. Maybe put Junior 8 and put Devine 12? Although Setu isn't big, he has dominated other schools back lines. Pretty sure Setu has already scored near 10 tries? Would like to see your opinions!

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Away from a 1st XV tone. Its no longer acceptable to have teams turn up for a fight - this is so old school and really deflated the tone of such good games yesterday at Shorncliffe . Yesterday's demonstration by the 3rds was disgraceful. The Referee began losing control early on in the game and things started to get out of hand. Our Iona 3rds (including bench and touch judge) decided to join a mele on the field. I'll give Pats their dues, the bench stayed where they were and players and crowd were trying to pull the fight apart. The game was called off - rightfully so, but the boys decided to openly do a warcry celebrating their victory openly encouraged by the coach. This is not rugby, I was ashamed to be an Iona supporter and anyone with any clout needs to sort this crap out or we are doomed to see schoolboy rugby lost to the local Rugby League mentality.

Spot on Mate, I think it's soooo important to get the right kind of coaches/support staff looking after these teams, setting a strong examples to the players how to conduct yourself even when things aren't going your way.
Unfortunately I witness a coach in the 7A CIC comp. yesterday lose his nut because of a 50/50 call went against his team, after some very vocal sideline antics he tore onto the field of play holding up the game to tear strips of a young volunteer ref. Setting a very poor example for his young players. These kind of coaches need to be replaced by the schools with a quality coach who can set some kind of standard otherwise we will here more and more stories as above.
I know that the school has received numerous complaints about this coach lets see if the have the balls to do something about.

ruggun11

Peter Burge (5)
I think we should start talking about possible AIC rep teams!

I'll have a crack to start it of.

AIC 1

1. Afele - SEC
4. McCully - SEC (Maybe, seems to run over people in AIC but I can't see the forward pack for GPS 1,2 and 3 being scared of him. But saying that, McCully does deserve an AIC 1 or 2 spot.)
5. Yak - IONA
6. Tully - SEC
7. Clarke - ASHGROVE
8. Wilkin - IONA
9. Turner - SEC
10. Turpin - SEC
12. Junior - SPC
13. Humphrey's - SEC
14. Devine - ASHGROVE
15. Setu - SEC

Notes: Haven't seen any real good wingers yet. A heavily dominated SEC team, Tully probably will make AIC 2 instead of AIC 1. Afele definitely AIC 2, maybe AIC 1. Maybe put Junior 8 and put Devine 12? Although Setu isn't big, he has dominated other schools back lines. Pretty sure Setu has already scored near 10 tries? Would like to see your opinions!
I think Sam McSweeney Ashgroves number 2 has a good chance, along with Mitch Treleaven Ashgroves 10.

Rixy37

Bob McCowan (2)
Personally think you gave a few eddies players more of a wrap than they deserve i.e Humphries, he was strong but I think he looked better due to some poor defense. The game was dominated by penalties and errors by ashgrove which gave eddies ample opportunities which they made the most of. Eddies played a very simple game which seemed to work very well for them which is obvious with the score. They did show weaknesses though with ashgroves fullback as you explained slicing through there centers defense multiple times. A good game overall I thought with the conditions on hand, which eddies deserved to win they played better and I cant really see them being beat this season.

Rugbylife88

Frank Row (1)
My Predictions from the start of the season, forwards really hard to choose but backs pretty easy to pick at this point and time

AIC 1

1. Afele - SEC
4. McCully - SEC
6. Tully - SEC
7. Clarke - ASHGROVE
8. Wilkin - IONA
9. Turner - SEC
10. Turpin - SEC
11.Lund - SEC
12. Junior / Turpin - SPC / SEC
13. Humphrey's - SEC
14. Devine - ASHGROVE
15. Setu - SEC

Agreed with setu being a bit small but there is no other person in this competition dominating as much as he is. Inside is a bit hard to choose but Turpin at 10 would be smart with having junior also playing 12 this year. Hard to pick the forwards but there are forwards that can play in this competition this year. Backs are fast and can shift. Wingers hard to choose but there is not many people that can match the speed of Lund from SEC and you have to have Devine in the team so putting him there would work well.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
My Predictions from the start of the season, forwards really hard to choose but backs pretty easy to pick at this point and time

AIC 1

1. Afele - SEC
4. McCully - SEC
6. Tully - SEC
7. Clarke - ASHGROVE
8. Wilkin - IONA
9. Turner - SEC
10. Turpin - SEC
11.Lund - SEC
13. Humphrey's - SEC
14. Devine - ASHGROVE
15. Setu - SEC

Agreed with setu being a bit small but there is no other person in this competition dominating as much as he is. Inside is a bit hard to choose but Turpin at 10 would be smart with having junior also playing 12 this year. Hard to pick the forwards but there are forwards that can play in this competition this year. Backs are fast and can shift. Wingers hard to choose but there is not many people that can match the speed of Lund from SEC and you have to have Devine in the team so putting him there would work well.
I would put junior at 7 over Clark.

ruggun11

Peter Burge (5)
Personally think you gave a few eddies players more of a wrap than they deserve i.e Humphries, he was strong but I think he looked better due to some poor defense. The game was dominated by penalties and errors by ashgrove which gave eddies ample opportunities which they made the most of. Eddies played a very simple game which seemed to work very well for them which is obvious with the score. They did show weaknesses though with ashgroves fullback as you explained slicing through there centers defense multiple times. A good game overall I thought with the conditions on hand, which eddies deserved to win they played better and I cant really see them being beat this season.
The ref was also quite whistle happy yesterday. There were some dodgy decisions

ruggun11

Peter Burge (5)

AIC 1

1. Afele - SEC
4. McCully - SEC
6. Tully - SEC
7. Clarke - ASHGROVE
8. Wilkin - IONA
9. Turner - SEC
10. Turpin - SEC
11.Lund - SEC
13. Humphrey's - SEC
14. Devine - ASHGROVE
15. Setu - SEC

From what i have heard, peters 15 is very good

vicrugby

Frank Row (1)
any explanation as to why SPLC has had a shaky start to the season? from what i recall, they have a number of their premiership-winning backs still in the side

7ajax7

Stan Wickham (3)
Jack Midgely of the Ashgrove 2nd XV had a big game on the weekend, hes work in and around the ruck and mauls is almost un-matched by any schoolboy player I have ever seen, coupled with his amazing lineout abilities and ability to consume a 700ml Bundaberg Rum bottle (20 standard drinks) in a night has him as my pick for AIC 2 second rower

420rugby

Frank Row (1)
Many of you may not of heard of him but he in my opinion is the greatest thing this noble game that we call rugby has ever witnessed. He goes by the name of Master Hubert Strong, he is a majestic rugby lion who reeks havoc on the footy field. With a Body Mass Index of -3 and a reach of 132 inches Hubert is a force to be reckoned with in the line outs. A euphoric gazelle with the ball he leaves his opponents mesmerised by his mere presence and grace. He has put on a lot of size in the off season by maintaining to a strict diet of only goon and human baby foetuses .While an outside chance he will make AIC 1 as he is in the 6ths I truly believe that it would be a waste of talent if this monster was left in the stands.
Yours truly 420 rugby

rugby rugby rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Standings after round 3 are:

# School points

1. SEC - 6
1. IONA - 6
3. ASH - 4
3. VILL - 4
5. SPLC - 2
5. PAD - 2
7. SPC - 0
7. SLC - 0

Round 4 fixtures:

VILL vs. ASH
IONA vs. SLC
SPC vs. PAD
SEC vs. SPLC

Predictions;

Villa by 2
Iona by 30+
SPC by 10
SPLC by 5

Jordan Ayton

Herbert Moran (7)

Its good to see some healthy criticism. From what I saw it took 2-3 players to contain Humphries whenever he got the ball, the Ashgrove defence was pretty poor especially in the centres, think it might have just been the size of SEC centres. Since its schoolboy rugby though in the articles I think its best not to openly criticise a player if he had a shocker and rather focus on who scored/ had good games and yeah I think the conditions definitely played a huge part.

Status
Not open for further replies.