• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Souths have been playing very all through the trials and the victory over Eastwood was expected but obviously not by so much with Eastwood being consistently strong in colts
I have been reading with interest the blah blah about how great Manly are and how they have been doing this and that and it's not like no other club has been doing the same
Souths were very physical and Eastwood just could not match the physicality of the Souths forwards and the Souths backs are very very sharp. The score was 33 nil at halftime and Souths got sloppy in ther finishing and started to play 7s rugby in pushing passes
Eastwood are a solid side but need a bit more size.
Souths have Easts next week but have 4 players out on U20 duties so the depth will be tested
Add Paul Asqith and Waldo Wessels to the team and the Hundred looks like heading south.
The galah kids himself he is a wise old bird but he certainly doesn't forget and he loves his Marlins so I was diplomatic on this swipe at the time but after the weekend how goes it down south in colts land after the weekend T and F'd ?!!!! ;-)

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
The galah kids himself he is a wise old bird but he certainly doesn't forget and he loves his Marlins so I was diplomatic on this swipe at the time but after the weekend how goes it down south in colts land after the weekend T and F'd ?!!!! ;-)
Not a good day at St Paul's and the result was disappointing but there were a number of events that made it difficult and Souths are not blessed with a lot of depth to cover injuries etc
The good thing is there is another game this week and Souths will be there having a crack
Season is not over
I will say that Uni backs were on fire and oozed a lot of class.

B

BellyTwoBlues

I can't help feeling reducing the numbers of teams at Sydney's "Premier" clubs isn't good for rugby. If anything we should be trying to grow the game.

The jury is out on reducing number of teams Lindommer.

My belief is that insisting clubs field 7 teams is somewhat old fashioned. And it's compounded by calling it a Premiership level Competition. For me, Premier Rugby means rugby of a high standard played for by the best players.

there's a number of ways (and certainly a number of arguments) here for the best way to 'progress' the competition.
And it's certainly not for this thread, but there are folk out there gestering to reduce number of clubs in the comp and number of teams within them.

One proposal has the competition as an 8 team competition within 2 years.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
I have to ask? Was Tom Uglys and Captain Cook Bridges closed on Friday night? 92-13 to Australia A?

Had an opportunity to watch that game? Have to say the score doesn't really say what really occurred on Uni's No 3 oval (AFL had first dibs on Oval 1).
In fact Uni forwards were ordinary - despite the schoolboy front row. Lawley disgraced himself with a yellow card with four repeated infringements before half time. South's number 8 ripped them up the middle repeatedly (setting up one try after a 25 metre line break and having another two held up over the line )- showing a vulnerability (note Norths, Manly and Randwick coaches) I personally didn't expect to see!
Not Australian A quality - believe me!
Sure the score was huge - more indicative there is something wrong with the competition in general - in my opinion = maybe the penny will drop and put the game before the team.
No dispute Uni have a very well tuned and fast back line and just need to ge tthe ball out there - However I walked away thinking the Uni pack were ordinary and quite beatable.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hear Manly will have more missing this week (about 6 players). Should be a hard one against Norths this week.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
T
Fourteen lucky tries, Doofus?[/
Had an opportunity to watch that game? Have to say the score doesn't really say what really occurred on Uni's No 3 oval (AFL had first dibs on Oval 1).
In fact Uni forwards were ordinary - despite the schoolboy front row. Lawley disgraced himself with a yellow card with four repeated infringements before half time. South's number 8 ripped them up the middle repeatedly (setting up one try after a 25 metre line break and having another two held up over the line )- showing a vulnerability (note Norths, Manly and Randwick coaches) I personally didn't expect to see!
Not Australian A quality - believe me!
Sure the score was huge - more indicative there is something wrong with the competition in general - in my opinion = maybe the penny will drop and put the game before the team.
No dispute Uni have a very well tuned and fast back line and just need to ge tthe ball out there - However I walked away thinking the Uni pack were ordinary and quite beatable.

The Souths pack certainly took it to Uni and Harrison Orr the 8 was the best player on the field
Some very desperate defence kept Souths out and Souths made a number of clean breaks and half breaks
The killer for Souths is they don't have the depth to cover 2 players in the AUST 20s and 4 players at Coffs Harbour for CHS trials
Lose your 2 wingers on the Saturday morning then during the game lose your 9,12 and 13 and this is against Uni
Sad part is a number of Souths juniors were playing for Uni on the weekend
We will be having a crack this weekend and the following weeks

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
Fourteen lucky tries, Doofus?

Missed my point Hammy. Not always about the size (as I have been told over the years) or the number of tries - as anyone who has played in a rugby team that cops a thrashing - it becomes meaningless once the gap is over 40 points - it becomes Academic pardon the pun (should raise a snigger and guffaw in Sydney University Gym).

Uni was taking the front row off and resting them - for what? they didn't do anything! (except to get sent off and capitulate in the front row).
Souths forwards were better hands down. University has a huge chink in its armour and thats a fact.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
If you are trying to garner some sympathy because of players missing etc ., I think it is well to remember that Southern Districts took 3 of West Harbours best
colts from that club this season , i.e. Harrison Orr who you say was the best on the field , Cameron Orr ,Australian schoolboys , & Alan Alaatoa ,Australian under 20's , with
obvious consequences to West Harbour , judging by West Harbours results this year , & contrasting these with their usual & expected position in the colts competition .
Does the phrase "what goes around ......" etc come to mind ?

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
If you are trying to garner some sympathy because of players missing etc ., I think it is well to remember that Southern Districts took 3 of West Harbours best
colts from that club this season , i.e. Harrison Orr who you say was the best on the field , Cameron Orr ,Australian schoolboys , & Alan Alaatoa ,Australian under 20's , with
obvious consequences to West Harbour , judging by West Harbours results this year , & contrasting these with their usual & expected position in the colts competition .
Does the phrase "what goes around .." etc come to mind ?
Mate I'm not trying to get sympathy I am trying to put forward a reason that explains why the score blew out
If you want to use this as a way to mock the club knock yourself and do your best
I wasn't involved in players joining the club but I am sure there were no threats of violence towards the players to force them too join and by the way the Orr Bros played I would suggest they enjoy being at the club and I am sure you will find a way to mock that comment
Maybe you should put the effort in a get involved in colts rugby instead of sitting on the sideline shooting off your mouth

The Raging Potato

Allen Oxlade (6)
Souths complaints of juniors playing at other clubs is irony of the highest order! How many Parra and Wests juniors? Anyway onto other subjects!

Been away for a few days so to cover a few bases.

Norths got their asses handed to them by the Wicks at the weekend. Well done the Wicks. Fronted up in all grades and got the deserved results.

Regarding future make up of Shute Shield, pure speculation on my part, but hearing ominous messages. Probably for another thread as suggested elsewhere.

Understand that some representations have been made regarding 3rd colts. Hopefully there will be a favourable resolution.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Manly 48 Norths 10 in 1st colts

Manly went to Bon Andrews knowing they would be for a tough game given it was Norths home field and that they had just lost to Randwick last week. Manly also were missing some players to Oz 20 commitments and injury.

From the outset Manly looked to establish a strong forward presence which allowed them to spread the ball wide all day. Their normal half was playing at 10 and was loving the extra space this allowed him. He created the first try with a beautiful cut out to the left winger, a solid build who had a very good turn of speed. In the first half the 12 continually broke through the Norths defensive line. This combination of the 10 and the 12 was proving deadly and when the 8 decided to join in it normally meant points. Score at half time was 29-5

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Manly dominating in both defence and attack. Norths never gave up and kept going at Manly but they never were going to threaten the Marlins today.

This Manly side, even without those players missing, plays a very exciting and expansive game. Very little kicking in general play and a desire to keep the ball in hand. The whole team performed today and while the backs looked good the forward pack was dominant at set pieces and in their mobility and aggression around the park. They proved the saying "Backs may win you the game but the forwards will determine by how much."

Best for Manly in the forwards were ..... Can't find a standout they were all good. In the backs the 9,10 and 12 were very good.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Re 9 and 10 for Marlins - but for the excellence of Reece Hodge who is arguably the best 10 the Marlins have at the club - that would be a great combination for the rest of the season . It is a former St Augustine's pairing which in itself is now quite common at Manly with the Brisbys , Sam Lane , Max Wood etc in grade. Smart has a better pass than Natoli who really can be damaging out wider as he apparently was

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Mate I'm not trying to get sympathy I am trying to put forward a reason that explains why the score blew out
If you want to use this as a way to mock the club knock yourself and do your best
I wasn't involved in players joining the club but I am sure there were no threats of violence towards the players to force them too join and by the way the Orr Bros played I would suggest they enjoy being at the club and I am sure you will find a way to mock that comment
Maybe you should put the effort in a get involved in colts rugby instead of sitting on the sideline shooting off your mouth
I have no respect for a club that tries to bolster it's colts strength by chasing colts playing with other clubs, something which I suspect most others on this site would agree with.I've not seen any comments to the contrary from you , so presumably you think this practice is O.K.
If you think the Orr's weren't chased by your club with inducements then you're a dope.
And your excuse as to why your team was well beaten ,suggests that having players missing is something that only happens to your club.
Let me tell you that every single club in the competition has players missing every week , & that includes the University team which scored 92 points against your lot.
The West Harbour team also has players missing every week no doubt ,& that doesn't include the very good players which have been pursued by your club ,violence or no ,& who are
consequently missing from the Wests team every week.
If the players mentioned played as well as you say , good luck to them but it's hardly surprising , their talents were well recognised before they went to your club .
And just as well they did play so well , who knows what the score might have been if they hadn't .

By the way , you know nothing about me & in particular you know nothing of my involvement in Rugby , so my advice is to keep your suggestions to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.