• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Got to feel sorry for the regular Randwick 10 (is it still Toby Browne?) getting shafted for Beale in such a big game.

Toby's in 2nds (FB last week), Cadyn Matehaere has been the 10 for the last few games.
We'll have to see what happens, but I suspect Beale may flit between 10 and 15 and both will play.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can someone please explain how uni 1st grade only managed to total 18 player points after using the whole 23 players on Saturday against Gordon when Gordon's total was 30? How are so many of their players worth 0 points?

I'll have a go. As I understand it, it is only fresh reserves that have to be taken into account when calculating points for a team. Jeremy Tilse and Tom Kingston were the only fresh reserves. To the best of my knowledge 16 of the 17 players used to calculate Uni's points have never played for any other Sydney club, with 14 of them having graduated through the Club's Colts program.

The blow in is Liam Winton, now in his third year with Uni. I understand he played quite a few seasons with Penrith.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'll have a go. As I understand it, it is only fresh reserves that have to be taken into account when calculating points for a team. Jeremy Tilse and Tom Kingston were the only fresh reserves. To the best of my knowledge 16 of the 17 players used to calculate Uni's points have never played for any other Sydney club, with 14 of them having graduated through the Club's Colts program.

The blow in is Liam Winton, now in his third year with Uni. I understand he played quite a few seasons with Penrith.

If Kingston was a fresh reserve then the points total should have been 26 as he attracts 8 points.
The NSWRU seems to struggle with knowing who's a fresh reserve and who played a lower grade game when adding up the points!
Tilse is zero points BTW, I assume due to length of service.

Dargeville has 8 points as an Aust U20 rep.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The NSWRU draws, results and ladders page for Colts include the player points allocated to all reserves, fresh or not. Are there different rules for Colts?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The NSWRU draws, results and ladders page for Colts include the player points allocated to all reserves, fresh or not. Are there different rules for Colts?

Don't believe so.
If the player is a fresh reserve he should have a "Y" in the right hand column and his points should be added to the total for the team.
If he doesn't have a "Y" then his points are still listed but should not be included in the total.
Good example is West Harbour colts 1sts last weekend.
All the reserves have their points alongside them, but only the single fresh reserve has been added into the total.

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)

What about James Willan? Played Aus schoolboys, Toyota Cup for Cronulla and then played a year of colts at Gordon and is valued at zero points? This is only his second year at uni? Tom Boidin has played for the Brumbies and is at zero points. Greg Jeloudev aus schools and aus 7s and is at zero points. Sam Talakai Samoan u20s.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Loyalty discounts. after 5 years with a club points are discounted 100%.

Previous Aust Schools "penalties" are only valid for 2012 and 2011 schoolboys.
Under 20 rep penalty is only valid for Aust U20 in 2011 or 2012.
State Schoolboy at Div 1 level penalty is only valid for 2012 reps.

Bottom line is Get 'em in early and keep 'em.

the coach posted the full points rules a few pages back (page 50). Not sure if all the detail will be below, but click in the arrow thingy in the green line below to go to the post with the attachment

Hugh, I got the attached from Waratah Rugby last month.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
What about James Willan? Played Aus schoolboys, Toyota Cup for Cronulla and then played a year of colts at Gordon and is valued at zero points? This is only his second year at uni? Tom Boidin has played for the Brumbies and is at zero points. Greg Jeloudev aus schools and aus 7s and is at zero points. Sam Talakai Samoan u20s.

I'll try to work them out:
James Willan
Would only attract points if he played > 50% 1st grade colts games last year, discounted by years of service.
Aust schoolboys only counts if it was last year or the year before and in Divn 1.
Toyota Cup doesn't attract any points
Tom Boidin
He has to have played at least 5 S15 games or have a current S15 contract to attract any points.
Greg Jeloudev
Did he play Aus schools last year or the year before?
Aus 7's don't attract points.
Sam Talakai
Non Aus U20 don't attract points.
16 points if he has played full internationals for that country

I may not be 100% with the above, but from the information you've provided and my reading of the rules these are possible explanations.

My understanding of the process is that the clubs have to complete a form for each player at the beginning of the year and the NSWRU validates them somehow.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From my observation the Uni Administrators are pretty switched on about how the points system works and because they attract so much attention ( 27 or so current Super players ) from Uni haters/jealous bastards (depending on which side of the fence you sit), their records stand up to microscopic scrutiny from others.

They sail very close to the wind and on occasions have to play "top pointers" in 2nd grade colts to stay under the points cap for colts 1's.

In the time this system has been running, I think only the Wicks have been silly enough to breach the allocated points cap (in Colts IIRC), and this a year or two back.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
In the time this system has been running, I think only the Wicks have been silly enough to breach the allocated points cap (in Colts IIRC), and this a year or two back.

I seem to remember that Uni got caught out in the early years of the points system when a player whose name I've forgotten took sick in the Colts I warm up and Luke Jones was substituted in. IIRC if the enfeebled player had taken the field and then called for a replacement immediately after the kick off there would have been no breach.

B

BellyTwoBlues

inside word parramatta players not happy, players were promised money and have not been paid.. typical of parra to bulid a side on promises, some players have already left, dont be surprised if more leave within the next few weeks.

Absolute crock of shit.
Unlike most clubs, we pay monthly. We have not missed a payment.

Who's left?

This unhappiness was clearly evidenced by the poor performance on the weekend!

Pull your head in AW, get your facts straight before you make ludicrous accusations.

Perhaps you're just another fan of another club concerned for your own club's position because we've done nothing more than get our shit together!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Who's left?
I was thinking exactly the same. I can't think of anyone who has left, but of course I am not as close to the inner workings of the club as Belly. Bruce Ross might feel this is similar to the "scholarships for everyone" attack semi-regularly launched against Uni.

Unfortunately, the relative success of this forum attracts people with dubious self-interest and/or mischief as motives. It is almost part of the lifecycle for internet forums nowadays.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Please note it was his first (and hopefully last) post. Response just feeds his ego and achieves the effect he intended. We all know its BS so ignore and carry on with normal grown up discussion

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Loyalty discounts. after 5 years with a club points are discounted 100%.

Previous Aust Schools "penalties" are only valid for 2012 and 2011 schoolboys.
Under 20 rep penalty is only valid for Aust U20 in 2011 or 2012.
State Schoolboy at Div 1 level penalty is only valid for 2012 reps.

Bottom line is Get 'em in early and keep 'em.

the coach posted the full points rules a few pages back (page 50). Not sure if all the detail will be below, but click in the arrow thingy in the green line below to go to the post with the attachment
It seems anomalous that u20s are based on the same years as Aus schools: as a matter of logic it assumes the same rate of graduation from schools as u20s but at a faster rate, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Absolute crock of shit.
Unlike most clubs, we pay monthly. We have not missed a payment.

Who's left?

This unhappiness was clearly evidenced by the poor performance on the weekend!

Pull your head in AW, get your facts straight before you make ludicrous accusations.

Perhaps you're just another fan of another club concerned for your own club's position because we've done nothing more than get our shit together!
I reckon if you could be bothered you'd find this poster got a grading he didn't like from you guys - just something in the tone I've seen and heard before.

B

BellyTwoBlues

I reckon if you could be bothered you'd find this poster got a grading he didn't like from you guys - just something in the tone I've seen and heard before.

Thanks IS. To be honest, I've got more important things to do with my time. All our players know my door is always open if they want to discusss anything.

To be honest, I should have just kept out of it, not bothered dignifying the comment with a response. Too late now.

In other news, we made another step forward yesterday with a nice bloke starting with the club as Chaplain. We've had an unofficial one from our own group in recent times but he is too unreliable for attendance so through Sports Chaplaincy Australia we've had him start with us. I know we're not the only club to offer this, in fact I think nearly all SS clubs do, but it's just another step forward for us. We can now offer first class Pastoral Care to our men and women within the club

Status
Not open for further replies.