• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Agree, it was positioning that let him down.My read was that he was not confident in his team mates and drifted off a little, ready to help out.When he realised it was going to be his man, he was out of position.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Agree, it was positioning that let him down.My read was that he was not confident in his team mates and drifted off a little, ready to help out.When he realised it was going to be his man, he was out of position.
When you have a look at his teammates can you really blame him? The Rebels were absolutely rolled in both of those games being talked about. The fact that people can pull out two defensive lapses, or three if you count the Ranger one, over the course of his career as evidence of his weak defence is surreal. The only reason they get talked about is because they're so rare. Mitch Inman, for example, misses a stack of tackles every week and people are happy to talk up his defence. JOC (James O'Connor) is a significantly better player than Rob Horne, however the Tahs will have to weigh up whether his ego and everything that goes along with that (C.R.E.A.M) are worth the extra playing ability.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Nope, as I say, not enough mass but you have to give him credit for putting his body on the line like that when he already had a chest injury.

To get back OT I don't see JOC (James O'Connor) at Tahs, reckon he will hang in there in Melbourne, pure guess tho.

I think Cheika would walk over red hot coals to have JOC (James O'Connor). He would fit in perfectly with Cheika's game plan at 13. Heard it here first.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Heard it here first.

1349110594814[1].gif

Ricky-Gervais[1].gif

berry-break-27-21_large[1].gif

It's been the year of people saying he should be a 13, with all supporters being 50/50 on whether or not anyone wants him.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I believe that JOC (James O'Connor) would be a good replacement for Drew Mitchell. Watching O'Connor over the years he has played his best footy from the wing. Give him a roving role in attack and that will fit in with Cheika's attacking strategy

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Show me where people have said Cheika wants JOC (James O'Connor) as a 13 for his game plan. You should probably have the courtesy of reading peoples' posts before you take the piss out of them.

Desire to get JOC (James O'Connor) in his side or hot coals is not the problem, the small issue of the salary cap is. There has been fairly wild speculation going around GAGR as to the intentions of KB (Kurtley Beale), JOC (James O'Connor) and Izzy. The way I see it Cheika can probably fit one, or at a reduced rate 2, under his cap. Any more than that and he will have to offload players or make them take significant haircuts.

As 'tahs supports who do you want the most?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
The rebels don't want them any more. At least not on their current salaries.

My apologies for sounding sceptical - but have the Rebels actually said so, or is it interpretation by supporters?

I can imagine that neither player has done enough to justify a renewal of their contracts at even current rates - and that would normally b e a deal breaker - but particularly in the case of JOC (James O'Connor) they may have few other domestic options... I think it would do both players a great deal of good to have to swallow humble pie and sign on for a season or two at reduced contracts - it certainly would do neither of them any harm to spend another season or two in the company of the likes of Higgenbotham and Delve in order to learn how to behave in a Team...

It became clear while still at the Force, that JOC (James O'Connor) was spending as much time on his hair, as he was on preparation...

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Show me where people have said Cheika wants JOC (James O'Connor) as a 13 for his game plan. You should probably have the courtesy of reading peoples' posts before you take the piss out of them.

Sorry for the hurt feelings mate, I don't disagree with you at all. What I disagreed with was that you were the first.

In regards to pointing you to a post, I honestly can't be bothered to dig through five months of posts looking for a couple that say JOC (James O'Connor), 13 and Cheika in one sentence. It's just been one of the many discussions that has stuck around this year.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
As 'tahs supports who do you want the most?

I'll take Izzy, then JOC (James O'Connor) if we can get him. Beale can go to the force.

edit: I know I'm just repeating myself but I'm doing so on the off chance that someone with enough clout in Tahland is reading this and making it happen. We can only dream.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
My apologies for sounding sceptical - but have the Rebels actually said so, or is it interpretation by supporters?

I can imagine that neither player has done enough to justify a renewal of their contracts at even current rates - and that would normally b e a deal breaker - but particularly in the case of JOC (James O'Connor) they may have few other domestic options. I think it would do both players a great deal of good to have to swallow humble pie and sign on for a season or two at reduced contracts - it certainly would do neither of them any harm to spend another season or two in the company of the likes of Higgenbotham and Delve in order to learn how to behave in a Team.

It became clear while still at the Force, that JOC (James O'Connor) was spending as much time on his hair, as he was on preparation.
JOC (James O'Connor) is, by all accounts, a consumate professional. He's just also a dick who wants a massive salary.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I am not sure what 'by all accounts' means... certainly one of the accounts I am aware of has a significant number of senior wallabies very impressed by his Rugby Ability - and equally very tired of the 'Baggage' he brings to the Squad... This first emerged when he missed the season-launch function a couple of years ago and all eyes were on Deans as to what action he would take... It is disappointing, as it is ultimately completely unnecessary...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
When you have a look at his teammates can you really blame him? The Rebels were absolutely rolled in both of those games being talked about. The fact that people can pull out two defensive lapses, or three if you count the Ranger one, over the course of his career as evidence of his weak defence is surreal. The only reason they get talked about is because they're so rare. Mitch Inman, for example, misses a stack of tackles every week and people are happy to talk up his defence. JOC (James O'Connor) is a significantly better player than Rob Horne, however the Tahs will have to weigh up whether his ego and everything that goes along with that (C.R.E.A.M) are worth the extra playing ability.
I'm not sure I was actually criticising him.
More putting it into context, why he was caught out of position.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sorry for the hurt feelings mate, I don't disagree with you at all. What I disagreed with was that you were the first.

In regards to pointing you to a post, I honestly can't be bothered to dig through five months of posts looking for a couple that say JOC (James O'Connor), 13 and Cheika in one sentence. It's just been one of the many discussions that has stuck around this year.

Cheika uses a three pod system and for mine the two most important positions are the centres. The inside centre becomes the central ball distributor in the centre pod and either gives the short ball to a forward or the long ball to the outside centre or fullback. The 13 must be fast, strong and be must able to take on the defense or set up other players in this outside pod, all things that JOC (James O'Connor) does really well. After a few recycles, the 13 drifts into the centre pod and takes a short ball off the twelve at speed and should hit a hole in a disorganised defence, again a speciality of JOC (James O'Connor).

Coach Kelly from Randwick is a fellow podder and he uses Hepetema, who is a JOC (James O'Connor) clone, off the silky hands of young Horwitz. It was while I was watching Hepetema that I thought of JOC (James O'Connor) and saw how his talents could best be used. I'm positve Cheika would see this will try very hard to snare him as his 13.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I am not sure what 'by all accounts' means. certainly one of the accounts I am aware of has a significant number of senior wallabies very impressed by his Rugby Ability - and equally very tired of the 'Baggage' he brings to the Squad. This first emerged when he missed the season-launch function a couple of years ago and all eyes were on Deans as to what action he would take. It is disappointing, as it is ultimately completely unnecessary.
From everything I've heard from people close to the club, sorry if I wasn't more clear. Agree about the off-field stuff, I was mainly talking about his training ethic, injury rehab etc.

Anyway, blues recovery who's normally bang on the money when it comes to all things Rebels reckons he wants to stay in Melbourne - but the club are weighing up whether they want to hang onto him. My gut feeling is that O'Connor will stay at Melbourne for at least one more year, probably on a reduced contract. The rumors about Foley moving down Mexico way are interesting as well - as a Tahs fan would you essentially swap JOC (James O'Connor) for Foley?

Status
Not open for further replies.