• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Team lists out with a few surprises.
W Munroe in as eight with Johnson at 7 in the firsts. This is a very inexperienced back two for this particular match. I like Munroe and believe this will be his long term position as he has plenty of speed and skill but coming back from injury he is slightly shy of matchfitness IMO.
I guess the heat of battle might temper some strong steel in these young uns.

Norton held in seconds so the colts will feel the loss of the two players and may struggle without the influence and direction from them.
Noriega listed in thirds but unlikely to play on saturday so I have heard.
Charlie Wakim on the march up the ladder and worth watching.

Interesting day on Saturday eh coach?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
W Munroe in as eight with Johnson at 7 in the firsts. This is a very inexperienced back two for this particular match. I like Munroe and believe this will be his long term position as he has plenty of speed and skill but coming back from injury he is slightly shy of matchfitness IMO.

Norton held in seconds so the colts will feel the loss of the two players and may struggle without the influence and direction from them.

Johnson & Munro certainly a pair of rookies. Still everyone has to start sometime.
Johnson played Aussie schoolboys & Sydney Roosters, Munro Best & Fairest in Colts & Captain last year , both Waverley College lads.
Coach Kelly seems to have the knack of bringing through the young talent, there seems to be plenty of First Grade Debutants this season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Or has Jeff given up the grog?

The lack of revenue from such an act would probably send most businesses under.
Why do you assume he pays for it? :)

Good point Coach. In which event, the club running out of grog, or Jeff giving it up, would have a positive effect on the clubs cash flow.

In all honesty, as much banter as may be directed his way about his relationship with the amber fluid, Jeff's heart is totally in the right place. He loves clubland. He loves the Juniors. He is always there volunteering.

He wasn't much of a Wallaby, but it is blokes like him that keep the game going.

What is to become of the Licenced club? I have heard that the Marrickville RSL was interested, and I have heard of a merge/move to the Coogee Bowls Club.

Wicks licenced club gone/going. Same with the Gordon licenced club. A couple of others are also apparently close to the brink. Not good for the future.

I'll bet a stack of fancy pants consultants with no interest in sport have made a motza out of providing "advice" to these clubs ensuring that their invoices for services rendered have been paid in full and on time, even if it was those that were the straw for the clubs financial camels back.

Does it look like we're off to the Coogee Bay Beer Garden for the cleansing aftermatch ale?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The unintended and apparent "denigration" of the Wallaby brand and Jeff's international qualifications was to point out that you could be a legend of grass roots rugby without achieving terribly much as a Wallaby, or Tah, or 1st Grade player for that matter.

One of the joys of rugby is that there are places for players of all shapes and sizes and abilities. Grass roots rugby similarly has space for personalities of all shapes sizes and abilities in a variety of volunteer capacities, DJ, Coach, Hydration consultant, BBQ exponent, gear steward, line marker, lawn mower, raffle ticket seller, referee.

Clubs wouldn't exist without the Muncher's of this world putting in week in week out year in year out at 4th grade, occasionally 3rd grade, or coaching the next generation in the Under 10's for 20 years, taking minutes as Club Secretary, Managing Colts 3rds for 15 years and so on and so on.

Legends all of them. The Centre of Gravity of Australian Rugby is Clubland not the Wallabies or ARU.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
One of the joys of rugby is that there are places for players of all shapes and sizes and abilities. Grass roots rugby similarly has space for personalities of all shapes sizes and abilities in a variety of volunteer capacities, DJ, Coach, Hydration consultant, BBQ exponent, gear steward, line marker, lawn mower, raffle ticket seller, referee.

Clubs wouldn't exist without the Muncher's of this world putting in week in week out year in year out at 4th grade, occasionally 3rd grade, or coaching the next generation in the Under 10's for 20 years, taking minutes as Club Secretary, Managing Colts 3rds for 15 years and so on and so on.

Legends all of them. The Centre of Gravity of Australian Rugby is Clubland not the Wallabies or ARU.

HJ, I must buy you a beer or two or three some day.

You have, in a few words, summed up much of what I love about Rugby. I wasn't attacking you but I can see that my clumsy wording might have allowed it to be taken that way - for that I apologise.

But the post that I have quoted above will ring a bell with many of us on this forum. The Sayles (a Wallaby), the Munchers (a lower grader at Parra), the John Pinsons (Penrith), the guy from Manly who runs the water and does the line for their lower grades (we called him Rusty, Muncher will know his name), the Gibbo's from Gordon, those greying gentlemen who ran around for Warringah fourths last week - the list is endless - we are Rugby. I love this game.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Good point Coach. In which event, the club running out of grog, or Jeff giving it up, would have a positive effect on the clubs cash flow.

In all honesty, as much banter as may be directed his way about his relationship with the amber fluid, Jeff's heart is totally in the right place. He loves clubland. He loves the Juniors. He is always there volunteering.

He wasn't much of a Wallaby, but it is blokes like him that keep the game going.

What is to become of the Licenced club? I have heard that the Marrickville RSL was interested, and I have heard of a merge/move to the Coogee Bowls Club.

Wicks licenced club gone/going. Same with the Gordon licenced club. A couple of others are also apparently close to the brink. Not good for the future.

I'll bet a stack of fancy pants consultants with no interest in sport have made a motza out of providing "advice" to these clubs ensuring that their invoices for services rendered have been paid in full and on time, even if it was those that were the straw for the clubs financial camels back.

Does it look like we're off to the Coogee Bay Beer Garden for the cleansing aftermatch ale?

My comments about Jeffrey were not meant in any way as a criticism.
He is what Rugby (esp club Rugby) is all about.
I believe he received a gong in the New Years honours list a couple of years ago and well deserved.
He certainly helped me out of an issue many years ago and I'm indebted to him.

I've not heard anything about the club's relocation other than rumours.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Toby Browne is also back in firsts at FB.
Beale coming off the bench apparently.

Sid, I agree it will be an "interesting day" and I just wish I could somehow be at Uni and Coogee at the same time!

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Toby Browne is also back in firsts at FB.
Beale coming off the bench apparently.

Sid, I agree it will be an "interesting day" and I just wish I could somehow be at Uni and Coogee at the same time!

Coach, I don't understand why you have Norton playing in 2nds. If Beale is a fresh reserve for the top team, he won't be needed as a back up, so why play him in grade at all when he would be so important to the colts against the star studded students.

I know it is not as simplistic as 2nds being more important than Colts, but from all reports at full strength the Colts backline is a special combination. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach, I don't understand why you have Norton playing in 2nds. If Beale is a fresh reserve for the top team, he won't be needed as a back up, so why play him in grade at all when he would be so important to the colts against the star studded students.

I know it is not as simplistic as 2nds being more important than Colts, but from all reports at full strength the Colts backline is a special combination. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I can only speculate that it's the "whole of club" approach referred to in earlier posts.
I think the strategy is to play players at the highest level the coaching staff believe they can handle (without being too concerned about individual teams) in order to develop the players. Remember that several of the 1st grade backline are still eligible to play colts.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The beauty of being on the sideline is that we can make comment on the selections and games without the stress.
So far this year, the Wicks have performed creditably and have got better each week. If they beat Uni in all grades on saturday - Kelly was right in his selections.
If not - was Kelly wrong or not in his selections ? Time will tell.
As an observation, I would have put a full strength colts side on the paddock in an effort to subdue the opposition in the first round. If they can do that they will have a mental edge down the track come final time.
I would have put a bit more experience at the back of the run on side in ones and started Beale in twos and then had him on the bench for ones, together with the two rookies.
Luckily I am neither a selector nor expert.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The beauty of being on the sideline is that we can make comment on the selections and games without the stress.
So far this year, the Wicks have performed creditably and have got better each week. If they beat Uni in all grades on saturday - Kelly was right in his selections.
If not - was Kelly wrong or not in his selections ? Time will tell.
As an observation, I would have put a full strength colts side on the paddock in an effort to subdue the opposition in the first round. If they can do that they will have a mental edge down the track come final time.
I would have put a bit more experience at the back of the run on side in ones and started Beale in twos and then had him on the bench for ones, together with the two rookies.
Luckily I am neither a selector nor expert.

Agree Sid, us sideline experts never have to accept the consequences of our mistakes and we always have the advantage of being able to say "I would have done it differently" after we know the result!

Kelly has been quoted a number of times as saying that he's not expecting short term results. He's got a plan to develop the club over a period longer than this year and, as you say, he's having some success. I for one won't be criticising him if the club doesn't have success on Saturday.

There would have to be a question mark over Beale's fitness and there would also be a concern over his ability to fit in to the team. I'd reckon he would have had to have been introduced to all the coaching staff and almost all of the players at training on Tuesday night. There's also doubt over how often he'll be available. The main reason he's playing this week is to try to force his way into the Wallaby squad which is selected before the Wicks play their next game.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any news about the wicks matches today, colts and grade, a hard day at the office for all ?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wicks won fourth grade 34-33 in a very entertaining match where the teams traded tries and scores all match . A great kick from the sideline for a conversion got the wick up.
Third grade lost 39 - 14 with a try after the bell. Uni showing their style at the breakdown as well as disciplined defence.
Second grade won by uni 35-21 in a sometime spiteful match. Wicks getting done at the breakdown. Good points were Wicks kept working even after having a red card , Norton scored a magnificent try with great footwork, vision and speed. Bad points were losing another second rower , Norton limping off and a red card. From where I sat if there was one card , then there should have been one each as plenty involved.
First grade
Wicks started the points with a penalty before uni got a deep line out and scored with a line out drive.7- 3 after fifteen and Wicks show their intent declining a kick for goal and go down the line. They fail to score but then get a tight head. Wicks attack hard but Uni defence kept them out.
Again uni go down the line and following another line out drive they score. 14-3. Wicks take the penalty and score 14-6. A slip in the midfield lets Kingston in and things are looking ominous for the wicks.at half time uni lead 26-6 and less than two minutes into the second half Davidson is over 33-6. Is that Mitchell on the wing.?
The young Wicks seven is into everything and playing like a man possessed.
Slowly Wicks get into gear with a well worked try in the corner, i think to Hepetema.33-13 with twenty six to go. Bodies everywhere and the Longfellow is on. Uni get a soft try from the five metre scrum 38-13
Wicks win another tight head ,decline the kick and go up the line.lineout drive and try to the scrum. Eleven minutes to go and 38-20.
Wicks now play as we have seen them through this year and the pressure builds on uni who were giving penalty after penalty .at this point one must wonder why no card.?
Beale working hard looking for space and Uni defence magnificent.
The last ten minutes belong to the Wicks who kept the pressure up to finally get a try after the bell .38-25to uni.
The wicks debutants were terrific and looked at home in the grade.
Horowitz passing is sublime. Beale and Mitchell needed another half to really show their mettle. Scrum was solid and lineout good.
Uni were magnificent in defence and flooded the breakdown to either get turnovers or slow the ball down and lived on the edge.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wow you blokes really know what you are talking about & I haven't read every word but I agree with everything everyone has said & I know some have opposite views. Haha. Must say I think coach is right to give the young & upcoming guns opportunities at higher levels, Norton I thought deserved a place in 2nds at season's start. These coaches are developing players strongly & I appreciate their expertise & efforts. If they don't make some mistakes I will think they are not trying hard enough & if they make endless mistakes they are reckless. Courage, focus & mental strength provide challenges & develop Randwick. The management is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.