• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Tahs would be better off finding a winger who gives them 85% of what Kingston does and paying him the minimum.

Just to add to this, I don't watch Shute Shield beyond the live game on ABC occasionally, are there young guys out there who fit this bill?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was reported earlier in the month that Argentine backrower Alvaro Galindo was going to be signed for the Waratahs. This was before Tala Grey signed so maybe we signed Grey instead.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
what about Trist? can he step up?

He's had a bit of a go in the past. Personally I think he is a reasonable stop gap measure but is never going to amount to anything great in Super Rugby. I would much sooner recruit someone 10 years younger who has more potential.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rohan Saifoloi would be another obvious person to offer an EPS contract to after he narrowly missed out this year.

As far as young Shute Shield 10s running around, Dave Horwitz, Rohan Saifoloi and Jack Debreczeni would be the three obvious ones in my opinion.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If the Rebels offered Kingston starter money, the Tahs aren't going to beat that to have him as a back up. That's what value means for a rugby team with a salary cap. You can't overpay for non-essential players. The Tahs would be better off finding a winger who gives them 85% of what Kingston does and paying him the minimum.
so who is the 85% player - and we need 2 of them

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Turner may become a rather important unit as back up. Plays 13/14/15.

It will depend whether he will accept potentially a squad/bench role I guess

With Kingston going, I'd keep both him and Carter if the money is right (i.e. cheap!). They're both reliable players who are good team men. With Lance coming though it would seem less likely that we have space for Carter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
what else is he doing?

You'd think that given his injuries in the last two years there's little prospect of him being offered a substantial contract elsewhere.

One more year at the Waratahs to try and improve his contract options either at the Tahs, interstate or overseas would seem likely. He's still only 26 so he has some good rugby left in him if he can get healthy.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
John Grant went to the Wests Tigers a couple of years ago, but wasn't he coming back to rugby? Nice to have some genuine pace out wide.
He was about to sign with the Force last year but blew his knee out 12 months on the sidelines.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
John Grant went to the Wests Tigers a couple of years ago, but wasn't he coming back to rugby? Nice to have some genuine pace out wide.

IIRC he's back at Eastwood, but I don't know if he's injury-free.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Foley going means either:
  • that Beale is on his way back to the Tahs already; or
  • Someone was asleep at the wheel in Tahland
There's no clear favourite in this 2 horse race.

They aren't mutally exclusive.

Perhaps the intern was worn out from all his duties and forgot to keep up with the paperwork?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Also Hodge.
Seems like Foley and Kingston as Sydney Uni players going to Rebels with their old coach. Perhaps a pointer to Hill being reappointed.

There are a few Uni players down there. No problems with combinations for the SS Grand Final.

6. Dyer
7. Saffy
8. Davidson
9. Stirzaker
10. Foley/Roberts
11. Kingston
12. Mitchell
13. Inman
14. English
15. Rokobaro

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
This certainly opens up some development spaces in the squad, especially in the centres.

I wonder who they are looking at to cover 12/13/14?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The Tahs were slightly overweight on outside backs to begin with. Not sure much has opened up yet.

Volavola may get an upgraded contract.

Tom Carter can still cover 12/13, no notice on what he's doing so far.

Lance can cover 10/12/15, maybe even 13 at a pinch but it's not ideal.

There's still a heap of wing options at the Tahs, including Betham, Crawford, Hodge, Turner.

Not sure on how much room they will have for development. Depending on what Volavola is viewed as, there is room for a 10 or 15/wing.

Centre options will depend on Carter staying or going, I guess.

I would expect that the EPS should have a 10/15, a 12/13 and a halfback (Lucas still?).

Status
Not open for further replies.