• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The saying there is a huge difference between Soup & Test rugby - how come that saying doesn't apply to the coach.
Deans coached the Kiwi's - what happened?
Now the Wobs - and ???

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The goal should always be to score tries, not play for penalties. In the endeavour of scoring tries the opposition will get penalised in kick-able areas and we must capitalise on them, not just for the scoreboard pressure but so the opposition becomes less cynical knowing we will punish them - opens up more opportunities to score.

The Lions had a shocking kicker (Stephen Jones) in 2009 compared to Pienaar and Steyn and it cost them the series.

Your memory fails you Qwerty.

In the first two tests in 2009 where the Boks won they kicked 11/17 = 65% compared to 9/11 for Jones kicking for the Lions = 82%.

Lions won the third test but only kicked 5/8 in that one = 63% compared to the Boks 3/3 = 100%.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
After 15 rounds the possible Wallaby goal kickers stats in Super Rugby 2013 were:

Barnes 10/12 = 83%
JOC (James O'Connor) 40/55 = 73%
Lealiifano 55/72 = 76%

Whilst not a potential kicker for the Wallabies; Cooper 49/65 = 71%

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Scott,
are there any stats that support Quade as being the logical choice at 10?
It would be interesting to see what the data suggests.
It appears we all have preconceived ideas about him.I doubt his performances this year have changed anyone's mind,either in the affirmative or the negative.

P

Paradox

After 15 rounds the possible Wallaby goal kickers stats in Super Rugby 2013 were:

Barnes 10/12 = 83%
JOC (James O'Connor) 40/55 = 73%
Lealiifano 55/72 = 76%

Whilst not a potential kicker for the Wallabies; Cooper 49/65 = 71%

Thanks Scott. I think Lealiifano had a poor first match against the Reds which skewed his stats a bit. He has kicked every pressure penalty this year but I'd stick with JOC (James O'Connor).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The big problem with picking Barnes as kicker is that he is unlikely to be able to last the match. Still seems to have those cramping issues which greatly affect his kicking.

While I think Deans wants Barnes at 15, I don't think we can afford to start two players that are possibly not fully match fit in terms of 80mins. We may end up seeing Folau at 15 afterall.

P

Paradox

I reckon Beale will be rushed back into the Ws as flyhalf. JOC (James O'Connor) to the back 3 with Tomane (maybe Barnes) and Folau.

What I think Deans will pick:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Timani
6. Higgers (Maybe Dennis)
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Beale
11. Tomane (Folau)
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau (Barnes)

What I would like to see given our injuries

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander (maybe Palmer)
4. 3M
5. Horwill
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Tomane
12. Lealiifano
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

15. Slipper
16. Kepu (If Palmer starts, Alexander)
17. Hanson
18. Timani
19. Mowen
20. White
21. Beale
22. Barnes

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Unlike say Giteau, Barnes has been dependable for clutch kicks - see the Wales tests last year. This talk is hysteria

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am not particularly impressed with Timani. There must be a lot more to his game than meets the eye of the casual beholder. I dislike the idea of him and Palu both starting, frankly, because Cliffy does not seem to have more than 45 minutes in him these days, and that is just not enough.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No I don't think so, people can joke that those are his favourites but he's really not as crazy as he's made out to be. I think there's reasonable justification behind all his selections yet people chose to ignore it. Those two have none.

We should remind you of these sentiments when he picks one of them - probably McCabe.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Scott,
are there any stats that support Quade as being the logical choice at 10?
It would be interesting to see what the data suggests.
It appears we all have preconceived ideas about him.I doubt his performances this year have changed anyone's mind,either in the affirmative or the negative.

No. can't offer any stats that say Quade is the logical choice. He's behind on try assists, line breaks, turnovers and tackles completed and Reds are behind on tries scored. He's only ahead on offloads.

Reds attack isn't firing and the blame gets laid with QC (Quade Cooper) (and any other #10) when that happens.

OC (and any #10) needs the ball less so he can sit back behind the forwards and pounce only when space opens up - at the moment he's having to try and make the space.

QC (Quade Cooper)'s been stepping up to take the ball more trying to make something happen as the Reds forwards haven't been doing the work required in attack.

As an example he passed the ball in the two matches on the SA tour 44% more than the average for all matches before those this season.

Only time the Reds forwards have played their part in attack recently was the first half of the Sharks game and that allowed QC (Quade Cooper) to be so much more effective. The next best performance by the Reds forwards was the match against the Chiefs.

In both of those matches QC (Quade Cooper) had his lowest number of involvements (kicks / passes / runs) for the season so far.

So those stats help understand what's going wrong but unless the Reds forwards put it right in the next two matches QC (Quade Cooper) is no chance of selection (not that I think he is going to be selected anyway).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As a Brumbies' fan, I think both To'omua and Kimlin are dark horses (!) for the final 6. Deans says he wants a straight running 10 with reliable front line defence - that is To'omua amongst the present contenders ie ignoring Cooper. If MMM is not fit, Kimlin is probably the next best lock/6 running around.

I would like to see the final 6 to be Palmer, Hanson, Kimlin (MMM if fit), White, To'omua (preferably Cooper, but...) and Mogg. It won't be, of course, but I sincerely hope Kurtley does not make it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No. can't offer any stats that say Quade is the logical choice. He's behind on try assists, line breaks, turnovers and tackles completed and Reds are behind on tries scored. He's only ahead on offloads.

/quote]
Behind on line breaks?
It's been gnawing at the back of my mind that his counter from fullback has not been as effective this year.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks Scott. I think Lealiifano had a poor first match against the Reds which skewed his stats a bit. He has kicked every pressure penalty this year but I'd stick with JOC (James O'Connor).

Sorry guys - 55/72 for Lilo is 76% not 71% as I originally typed. The 71% number is what he kicked in round 15.

Lilo got 0/3 against the Reds in round 1.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd love to see Betham taken as a smokey. Probably the closest player we've got to a Rene Ranger. Don't think there's anyone else in Australia who would have scored the try he did yesterday. It won't happen, but it'd be nice to see.

BR, there is absolutely no chance Kimlin is going to make the squad. To'omua might, although he's a pretty long shot as we've already got 3 flyhalves in the squad - four when Beale comes in.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The descriptor "raw-boned" has fallen out of favour. Maybe because raw-boned players are few and far between, in these days of the slick and the socially adept.

But Kimlin is raw-bonedness personified. I have always like him as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.