• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
He's more of a flake than Cooper.

I think if it gets to that point with injuries, Deans will move O'Connor to the wing and bring Beale or Cooper in at flyhalf.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Wow, three weeks ago our only injuries were Pocock and MMM!

Now we've added Smith, McCabe, Timani, Higginbotham, Pyle.

Who else?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok so wipe out Mogg.

Hanson
Douglas
McMeniman (especially with Higgers now in doubt)
White (sealed it over Burgess last 2 games)
Beale
Centre or Winger

Tapuai had a chance to step up tonight, still horribly out of form. McCabe? Not playing. But do we need a winger? Ioane and Cummins are injured and Tomane isn't in form. I'm going to go with Ant Fainga'a or Betham as a bolter if he wants another winger.

Betham over Mogg?

No way.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dislocated shoulder, although it apparently went back in.......

Still unclear how long he'll be out for.......

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Posted this in Reds v Rebels thread but appropriate for this thread:

There is no way QC (Quade Cooper) will be selected for the Wallabies squad (IMO) and those two charge downs tonight were dreadful.

However, even with those two charge downs taken into consideration he outplayed the guy who has been anointed as the Wallaby #10. That is not the result of an outstanding game by QC (Quade Cooper), it's a reflection of how poor JOC (James O'Connor) was. I have said before, and I still believe, that JOC (James O'Connor) can be a really good #10 but he needs a lot more time there to develop.

Problem is Barnes was dreadful last night as well. Beale will be #15 - surely not even Deans would select him at #10 without any recent game time there.

Cannot start with Foley or To'omua at #10 even though they are the form players in that position - I reckon it's too big an ask to throw a rookie in for their first test in the cauldron of a Lions test. Same goes for Lealiifano.

So Deans will have to work with JOC (James O'Connor) or Barnes - if it were me and I had to choose between those two I'd go Barnes as he has at least performed reasonably (no better than that) under pressure at #10 in test matches before.

The #10 jersey is a major worry for the Wallabies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Well, that's it for Quade. For all the good he did in the second half, he was atrocious in the first. Can't get away with a half of rugby like that against the Lions.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
JOC (James O'Connor) is the worst starting fly half of any Aussie supe side and yet he is going to be our 10.

A blind man can see he is much more suited in a wider role, I even suspect that if hill had is time again he would have had him at fullback for the reds match.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would not say he is the worst but he certainly is not at the top of the pile. He is however widely regarded as one of our most talented players. Is that enough for him to pull off playing 10 against probably the second best side on the planet?
We shall see but history has shown us that the Wallabies do not fare well with a part time 5/8. He will be under enormous pressure.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Based on the BaaBaa game last night 10 is a challenging position for the Lions as well.
I didnt see anything in the 15 minutes I've watched that made me think we're f*cked - but I dont know enough of the Lions to work out whether this was a trued B team or an A-B team. I sensed the commentators are worried about the Wobs.
The confrontation between the 2 frontrunners for 10 (albeit that one seems to be on the nose with the sole selector) was unilluminating to put it neutrally and when Barnes came on for the Tahs they managed to throw away the game.
So, as usual, Scott Allen is on the money: there is no convincing case being mounted by anyone who could play 10 (and has experience at test level) to be picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.