• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tubbaGOD

Sam Clarke from Marist will be in with a decent shot of snaring a back row spot as well, wouldn't be surprised to see an all AIC back row.

having watched both the GPS trials on saturday and the Iona vs. Marist game that afternoon it is clear that sam clarke is not up to the standard of the GPS backrowers (and wilkin) in contention for qld spots. Unlike Pat Morrey, Jayden Rodwell and Brad Wilkin, he was not a dominant player, he failed to consistently get over the ball to secure turnovers and was simply another forward running around (notice his lack of mention in the match report). Compare this to pat and jayden's stellar defense (each securing a number of turnovers) and strong ball running. If clarke fails to shine in a lesser competition, how can he hope to compete with the big boys of GPS.

ruggun11

Peter Burge (5)
having watched both the GPS trials on saturday and the Iona vs. Marist game that afternoon it is clear that sam clarke is not up to the standard of the GPS backrowers (and wilkin) in contention for qld spots. Unlike Pat Morrey, Jayden Rodwell and Brad Wilkin, he was not a dominant player, he failed to consistently get over the ball to secure turnovers and was simply another forward running around (notice his lack of mention in the match report). Compare this to pat and jayden's stellar defense (each securing a number of turnovers) and strong ball running. If clarke fails to shine in a lesser competition, how can he hope to compete with the big boys of GPS.
Have to remember Clarke played the first half with an unstrapped shoulder shoulder after dislocating it in the first 5 minutes

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Morning Jets..Do you have a URL for the squads and maybe even the draw? The QRFSU site and even the Reds / QRU sites don't seem to have them but could be just my selective blindness :)

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)

Hard to argue there, wasn't able to watch the game on Saturday but assuming Junior and Wilkin are shoe-ins it will be tough for him to get a run..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I expect Guy Hamilton to be QLD 1 fly half

Really? He has some talent but Mitch Third would be the best bet. I do think Hamilton will be in one of the squads. Looks like he could develop into a very good player.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Really? He has some talent but Mitch Third would be the best bet. I do think Hamilton will be in one of the squads. Looks like he could develop into a very good player.
I agree with Rugbywatch. Hamilton I think has a more developed game than Third; excellent running and kicking game, and his defence is solid (league background). I think Hamilton should get the starting gig for QLD 1, with Third either on the bench or starting for the 2s.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I just thought he looked to do too much himself. I did comment to someone as I watched him that he reminded me of a young JOC (James O'Connor).

Also he played like Quade and was at 15 in defence.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I just thought he looked to do too much himself. I did comment to someone as I watched him that he reminded me of a young JOC (James O'Connor).

Also he played like Quade and was at 15 in defence.
I'd say he defends at 15 to maximise counter attacking opportunities, like the Reds do with Quade. There are a lot of good flyhalves this year. Top 4 would have to be (in no order) Hamilton, Third, Mack Mason and Josh Bowen (but i think he will play rep at fullback).

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think you will find Third got the gig and deservedly so. he is an improved player from last year.

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
your talking about GPS which Hamilton isn't in
Yeh sorry you are right, I misread it. I think Third will get Qld gig too though. His games in the trials against BBC & BGS showed how much he has improved. His reading of the game is as good as any 10 around. I think he will also have no shortage of TSS boys around him that know each very well.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
To be fair I haven't seen Mitch third play, but with Hamilton being a member of the Australian youth sevens team, he'd be high on the ARU list meaning they'll want him to choose union over league. I'd say he'll make qld 1 at either 10 or 15

Water Melon

Frank Row (1)
I think you'll find Mitch Third will be the starting QLD 1 ten with guy in QLD 2. Mitch is by far the superior footballer.
To be fair I haven't seen Mitch third play, but with Hamilton being a member of the Australian youth sevens team, he'd be high on the ARU list meaning they'll want him to choose union over league. I'd say he'll make qld 1 at either 10 or 15

Reactions: mbw
Status
Not open for further replies.