• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm with Qwerty on this one. Genia himself wouldn't of been able to do anything at that point.

Note on Dan Palmer, is it just a myth that he is good? I've watched several games if his this year and I don't rate him in the slightest, even his renowned scrummaging has not done anything worthy of being pitted as a wallaby.

Scott Sio on the other hand was great, and has been all season. He could have put his hand up for that last prop spot, especially if they consider all of Slipper, Alexander and Kepu as genuine tight head options. If not, he is still a great prospect for the future.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He has never played hooker before I do not know where he picked that up from.

Palmer has declined massively. Any potential 5th prop spot is surely Sio's.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He didn't play hooker in his school days and never played there for any academy teams, club rugby or u20s as far as I know. Has he played a competitive match there before and not just training runs?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well the two times he's played flyhalf at Test level he was above average. How many times do you have to do it to show you are 'international level?'

You and I have differing views of above average.

If you think JOC (James O'Connor) has shown he's an international level flyhalf, then I think you are a bit of a JOC (James O'Connor) fanboy.

He needs to do a hell of a lot more than he has done now.

edit: to be fair to you, even Deans said JOC (James O'Connor) wasn't a flyhalf after those two games.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Agree on Palmer. Don't think Ryan is a chance ahead of Sio?

Is Palmer carrying an injury? The massive drop in form and even basic application has been nothing short of astounding. Tonight he just didn't do anything, and that includes holding the scrum most of the time, though he pulled it out here and there. Has he already gone overseas and forgot to actually get on the plane?

Sio is stepping up well. Ryan would have to be in front though for TH.

P

Paradox

My point was you can't base anything off his performance, for or against his case. The decision to potentially pick him has been done already.

Love the logic. He hasn't had a chance to do anything in Super rugby so pick him. Guess what? He's done fark all in France as well and Australia before that. Thank god for Genia.

Deans only selected Genia when Burgess was injured from memory. Can anyone verify?

Cyril Towers (30)
Is Palmer carrying an injury? The massive drop in form and even basic application has been nothing short of astounding. Tonight he just didn't do anything, and that includes holding the scrum most of the time, though he pulled it out here and there. Has he already gone overseas and forgot to actually get on the plane?

Sio is stepping up well. Ryan would have to be in front though for TH.
Palmer has had lots of trouble with a foot injury this year and last ( had surgery last year). He was hobbling after 20 mins tonight. I suspect he's in trouble again. Shame, he's better than he showed tonight.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Palu is an 80 minute player, this talk of him coming off after 50 is ridiculous and unfounded, when did that happen last year?

First Wales test subbed off at 55
Second Wales test subbed off at 54
First NZ test subbed off at 45
First France test subbed off at 59

80 minute player 50% of the time, every time. Chyeaa

You'd really be much more at home on the Planet Rugby forums.

In 2012-2013 Wales won 4/9 tests at Millenium Stadium. Two of those wins were against Italy and Scotland.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
As I have said before, Genia or White to start, Phipps to finish is my bet.

It is rare we will want more kicking in the last 10 to 15 minutes.

JOC (James O'Connor) isn't international flyhalf standard? well we will see, he tackles, runs straight and takes on defenders and accepts contact. It appears that is what the coach wants in a 10

He didn't run straight in the Reds match. Actually he didn't crab either, he turned his hips and ran directly across the field.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
First Wales test subbed off at 55
Second Wales test subbed off at 54
First NZ test subbed off at 45
First France test subbed off at 59

80 minute player 50% of the time, every time. Chyeaa

You'd really be much more at home on the Planet Rugby forums.

Why did you not mention the most recent Tests? Is that because he played 80 minutes in them? Yes it is. He was underdone in the Welsh series that's why he didn't play full minutes. The fact that he played 80 in his last 3 Tests proves to you he's an 80 min Test player and Robbie sees him that way as well. You can see him working his way back, 60 mins 1st two Welsh games and then 80 in the 3rd. Got injured after that and worked his way back with another 2 matches at 60 mins and then the final 3 at 80. It's good player management. When he's been consistently playing he's always an 80 min player.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
And then subbed off before 60 minutes in the next two tests. You said there was no evidence against him being an 80 minute player last year. You are factually and objectively wrong. This is not even close to the first time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did you ignore what I wrote?

It's so clear:

--Injured--
1st game back: 60 mins
2nd game back: 60 mins
3rd game back: 80 mins
--Injured--
1st game back: 45 mins
2nd game back: 60 mins
3rd game back: 80 mins
4th game back: 80 mins
5th game back: 80 mins

What does that tell you? You don't have to be a genius to analyse that.

That's how you manage players at international level.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
How does being injury prone not count against a player not being an 80 minute player? If you can't play you can't play.

It tells me he's prone to injury and as a direct result was only able to play 80 minutes in 50% of the tests last year .

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Palu is an 80 minute player, this talk of him coming off after 50 is ridiculous and unfounded, when did that happen last year?

Qwerty, you asked a question and the American answered. As such, the talk off him coming of after 50 as being 'unfounded and ridiculous' is in itself incorrect. It is fact that he is not always an 80 minute player.

Back to the squad stuff. I don't believe a spot should be wasted on Burgess at this stage. If we get an injury we can always call him up but it would be better spent on another forward/ back depending on if Deans decides to go with McPotatoe

Status
Not open for further replies.