• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
While Pritchard is being seen as too small for View front row, apparently Cater has had a growth spurt and is now too big (tall) for Shore 1st front row.

Do we have a Goldilocks and the three Hookers situation?

This one is too small, this one is too tall, this one seems to be just the right size but has TPN lineoutitis. :)

Huge, after catching up with my snouts doing an "around the grounds" catchup, there must be some confusion at North Sydney! Apparently, Cater came on in the 1sts after 15mins as hooker last Sat and lined up against Tierney Glasson (converted tighthead prop). What is confusing is the Joeys prop in the 2nds tells me Cater was everywhere as No8 and he threw into the lineouts. Is this another case of too big for your club/school but a good fit at rep level?

From what I hear Shore may have the smallest front row when compared to Joeys, View, New and Scots where he would have easily fitted into any one of these.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
In respect to the hooker selections I wouldn't mind seeing Tierney Glasson get the nod over Fotukava. He is similar size and has pretty good mobility and has spades of maturity. That would leave the 3 hookers as Tierney Glasson, Hozea Fotukava, Jono Burke with a fourth as backup.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
In respect to the hooker selections I wouldn't mind seeing Tierney Glasson get the nod over Fotukava. He is similar size and has pretty good mobility and has spades of maturity. That would leave the 3 hookers as Tierney, Fotukava, Burke with a fourth as backup.
It will be interesting to see how the other schoolboy teams shape up against GPS in the forwards in the next few weeks, especially CHS. CHS 1s have thrashed CCC so far (63-7 I think) and soundly defeated CAS yesterday at Cranbrook (25-10). CHS were unlucky not to have another try or two allowed. Their Lineouts are very sharp. The forward pack is well drilled and very business-like around the field. i think the scrum will be tested against GPS 1s. Nevertheless, There may be some good contenders in the front row for NSW selections.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ha Ha George, I have fallen into a bit of a trap of believing some of what I read on these threads.

A usually reliable (as reliable as anyone is on here) Gaggerlander seemingly aligned with Shore had put up a 1sts selection with no Cater, and when questioned, the growth spurt issue was raised as the reason why he was in the Shore 2's.

Other Gaggerlanders had promoted Glasson (albeit last year) as if he was the future solution to the Wobs propping issues, and now you tell us that he is playing hooker for Joeys, throwing lineouts but operating in the loose as an #8.

Talk about interchangeability.

Your point about too big for club/school but Goldilocks for Rep level is very valid.

IIRC Jonah Lomu played all his schoolboy footy as an #8 for rather obvious reasons. The Lords of Darkness saw his potential as a outside back, and it took 2 years for him to learn the trade skills necessary for an International Wing, and the rest, as they say, is history. (a rather extreme example).

It must be tough on the kids who are played out of position because they are considered to be too big to play that position for school, therefore they get played "out of position". Meanwhile their "better" sized (for their school/club) "opponents" get more experience in the position.

Hooker seems to be one of those positions that there would be plenty of kids "misemployed" as props or 6/7/8's due to their comparative size.

Rep quality #6's and #7's often find them selves playing lower level footy at #8.

Similarly mobile 2nd rowers end up at #6 or #8, and "big" #8's end up in the second row for school/club.

The Princesses are also similarly mix and matched. 15 or wing. Kellaway (Scots) is a #15 in most eyes, but Scots have him as a #10.

Taane Milne was selected as a #11 for NSW Schools last year despite playing #13 for School. This is a case where I think School got it right, although it was a pretty tough choice for #13 between Milne or Stewart (Scots).

Who'd be a selector, or Coach for that matter?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Ha Ha George, I have fallen into a bit of a trap of believing some of what I read on these threads.

A usually reliable (as reliable as anyone is on here) Gaggerlander seemingly aligned with Shore had put up a 1sts selection with no Cater, and when questioned, the growth spurt issue was raised as the reason why he was in the Shore 2's.

Other Gaggerlanders had promoted Glasson (albeit last year) as if he was the future solution to the Wobs propping issues, and now you tell us that he is playing hooker for Joeys, throwing lineouts but operating in the loose as an #8.

Talk about interchangeability.

Your point about too big for club/school but Goldilocks for Rep level is very valid.

IIRC Jonah Lomu played all his schoolboy footy as an #8 for rather obvious reasons. The Lords of Darkness saw his potential as a outside back, and it took 2 years for him to learn the trade skills necessary for an International Wing, and the rest, as they say, is history. (a rather extreme example).

It must be tough on the kids who are played out of position because they are considered to be too big to play that position for school, therefore they get played "out of position". Meanwhile their "better" sized (for their school/club) "opponents" get more experience in the position.

Hooker seems to be one of those positions that there would be plenty of kids "misemployed" as props or 6/7/8's due to their comparative size.

Rep quality #6's and #7's often find them selves playing lower level footy at #8.

Similarly mobile 2nd rowers end up at #6 or #8, and "big" #8's end up in the second row for school/club.

The Princesses are also similarly mix and matched. 15 or wing. Kellaway (Scots) is a #15 in most eyes, but Scots have him as a #10.

Taane Milne was selected as a #11 for NSW Schools last year despite playing #13 for School. This is a case where I think School got it right, although it was a pretty tough choice for #13 between Milne or Stewart (Scots).

Who'd be a selector, or Coach for that matter?
and our fellow bloggers are all tipping back rowers to fulfill the lock positions for the GPS 1s this year.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I have always found that size does matter.
There seems to be a preoccupation with size over skill in much of the schoolboy rugby.
Quite often these bigger players disappear a senior levels when others start to grow!!

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)

I have seen alot of Milne over the years, both in RL and RU and he is a centre. His can finish very well but its his creation of opportunities that is one of his biggest assets.
I would be surprised if there any centres close to Tepai or Taane in the GPS competition. I know everyone loves their school (and their school's players) but these 2 are keeping 20 year olds out of their respective teams in the Holden cup for Parr and Easts. IF they play to their ability I think it would be quite bizzarre if they were not the GPS Is centre pairing.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ted S, Jim Stewart (who has now left school) was a particularly talented centre and it may have been line ball between him and Milne last year such that the selectors decided to take both as insurance and play one of them out of position.

You are most probably right that this year M&M will not only make GPS I but IMHO will most likely be NSW Schools I's centres.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
HJ def Stewart deserved his spot , and Taane was younger as well

Milne payed at 11 most of last year - shift out Alan L at half back, Lussick at 10, Abrahams at 12 and there's nowhere to go!

For me - Tepai and Milne in the centres for the 1st's!

We'll see eh! :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have seen alot of Milne over the years, both in RL and RU and he is a centre. His can finish very well but its his creation of opportunities that is one of his biggest assets.
I would be surprised if there any centres close to Tepai or Taane in the GPS competition. I know everyone loves their school (and their school's players) but these 2 are keeping 20 year olds out of their respective teams in the Holden cup for Parr and Easts. IF they play to their ability I think it would be quite bizzarre if they were not the GPS Is centre pairing.
How does that work? School on Saturday and Commode Cup on Sunday?
What happens if there's a clash or they're away with union rep teams? For the sake of the integrity of our game I hope they are not cut any slack by us!!

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
How does that work? School on Saturday and Commode Cup on Sunday?
What happens if there's a clash or they're away with union rep teams? For the sake of the integrity of our game I hope they are not cut any slack by us!!

They played Holden Cup for the first 5 or so rounds but where then forced to stop when the Newington rugby season began.

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
As a Brisbane boy in Sydney for the weekend, is Joeys v Riverview the game to watch this afternoon? Where is it being played?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is a holiday weekend in NSW and no GPS games are being played.

It will be on next weekend.

For those who want to go to the game: the Ones game is being played in the morning but I don't know at what time.

Apparently they are having one more go at trying to keep the old boys sober but will change it back to the usual time the next time Joeys play at View, if all goes well next week.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Plenty of age championships - u15s at Brononia Park with a view of SIC and down the road from SJC
http://www.nswjuniors.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?type=library
Finals @ MIllner on MOnday
Some good games played today. In the 15s the teams to watch are Gordon & Norths with Vic also having some big scores. Pity there is no twitter or facebook updates??
11s - Kierle Park, Manly
12s - Camden
13s - Grantham Res, Seven Hills
14s - Orange
15s - Boronia, Hunters Hill
16s - St Lukes, Concord
17s - St Lukes, Concord

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just posted an update on St Lukes games (U16/U17) on the NSW State cup thread.

Had to leave after the 12:30 games for other duties.

Some GPS talent playing in 16's. Can't recall any GPS names in the U17's programme.

rawsteak

Stan Wickham (3)
For those who want to go to the game: the Ones game is being played in the morning but I don't know at what time.

Apparently they are having one more go at trying to keep the old boys sober but will change it back to the usual time the next time Joeys play at View, if all goes well next week.
This is unfortunately true. From my understanding it will be played at 11.15. With 2nds at 9.45!!! It bewilders me how you could let such a high grade team (2nds) play at a time when they usually wouldn't be awake.

Could be a hot topic to talk about in the lead up - in regards to the early game. I'm sure it will definitely effect the crowd numbers again and I personally hope that Joeys once again maintain the history of the game and play at 3.15 when they meet again later in the season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
rawsteak, I think most want to see a traditional day of footy culminating in a 3:15 kick off in 1's. Until a small minority of buffoons get it through their head that the View v Joeys game is not played for their benefit, then the vast majority of rugby folk get "penalised" to prevent recurrences of their disgraceful conduct. Shame.

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am sure, just like last year, Joeys will not be prepared to be held hostage by their or View's young old boys and will play the game at 3:15pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.