• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
Pats 49 - Laurie's 15. Pats had their 7 sent off in the first 30 seconds and were down 15-0, scored 7 unanswered tries. Peaked in their last game.
Laurie's defense quite pathetic.

Mainsail

Frank Nicholson (4)
Peters 26 - Ashgrove 24. Penalty to St.Peters with 40 seconds to go.
Restart caught recycled and kicked into touch.

Ashgrove scored through very disciplined multiphase Pick and Go and penalty kicks. St.Peters through penalty kicks and backs. Good work up front by both teams.

7ajax7

Stan Wickham (3)
Ashgrove robbed in the final minute of the game, lead for most (If not all of the game) forwards definitely stood up, ASH un-lucky to lose however props to SPLC for sticking in there

ruggun11

Peter Burge (5)
Ashgrove vs SPLC was a very good game. Ref was quite good even though he did miss a few pivotal calls.

What does this mean for the results?

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Iona 95 - Padua 3
Padua with a late penalty.
Total Iona domination. Padua didn't enter Iona's 10 with the ball the entire game.
a very entertaining game to watch. Iona would have clocked up the century but the boys in black and white were sharing the goal kicking duties around.
It was great to see this fine school boy team enjoy their last game together.
Padua can be proud the way their players conduct themselves, which must have been difficult in such a touch up.

mates95

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone know how Iona's 95-3 victory compares as far as highest team score or highest winning margin goes in AIC record books?

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
To respond to a few posts
* Looked at the Ash v SPLC game yesterday and I don't think Ashgrove were "robbed". The last penalty was a fair call (Ash player laying all over the ball) and in some ways you would have to say that justice was done - the pick and drive game plan by Ash might have been effective, but it was boring. St Peters were the more expansive side. Some of the Ash backs would have caught a cold out there yesterday.
* Can't remember Ash losing 3 games in an AIC season since AIC started in the late 90's. But does that make it the worst Ashgrove side in a generation or have other schools caught up?
* And in the same year as possibly the worst St Laurences side in a generation?
* As far as AIC records go, I'm pretty sure that Ashgrove beat St Peters in 1st XV by 100+ in 2007 or 2008.

Mainsail

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree. A very clear strategy to use strong Ashgrove forwards but almost felt sorry for the backs as they were almost left out of the game entirely.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Those who have followed this forum for more than just this season may recall I posted a number of times last year mainly on the history of AIC (the Association and the Rugby).
I was correctly accused of being on old fart sitting with my pipe and slippers in a dusty den. Please excuse the observations in this post if they offend however they do come with the benefit of experience if nothing else.
A couple important points
  • Congratulations to Iona who were clearly the best side in the competition and deserved their Premiership. Iona really seem to have their act together across the ages so kudos to them for the 1st XV and as a whole school.
  • St Peters showed that 2012 was not a flash in the pan and the better showings by their age group teams is also encouraging for the Association.
Forgive me for saying though, that the real story of the season is the incredible fall in standard and results by St Laurences and Ashgrove. I would encourage younger members of the forum to read over the 2012 forum and see some of the history there. St Laurences have traditionally been one of the powerhouses of AIC (and before that TAS) rugby. I was speaking several weeks ago with an experienced SLC teacher I know and he was very sad at how (his words) "rugby is dying at Lauries".
As for Ashgrove it defies belief the 1st XV was beaten 3 times in the season (my Ashgrove insider tells me that last happened in 1973!). I understand other posters will quickly point and say this proves that Iona, St Edmunds and St Peters have improved lots. This may or may not be so however the drop in Ashgrove is not just in 1sts but across the board. For a school with a 1st XV that went 5 years without a loss (2002 - 2006) and between 1998 and 2002 produced about 8 Australian Schoolboys the drop from 2007 to now is staggering. I think they have shared 2 premierships in the past 6 years?
The next thing I am going to say is going to make me really unpopular.
The drop off in these two schools is a very bad thing for all the schools in AIC. I know we all like to see them beaten however there is a bigger picture.
If AIC is to be competitive with GPS then a strong Ashgrove and St Laurences (being two of the biggest schools) is critical. Without the depth provided by these schools it will be much harder for good players from all AIC schools to get a look in at the next level.
I would be very interested to hear from some Ashgrove and St Laurences insiders as to their opinions for their fall from grace. From what I understand both schools have less "hard physical kids" attending? I have also been told they have both lost some experienced top coaches?
Let the hate mail begin.

Rixy37

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm not exactly sure why there has been this drop in standard in Ashgroves top teams. But I think its unfair to say a total drop they are still a quite dominant school especially int he lower grades which is highly evident still in all age groups. So the drop has just been in the A teams. With it just being in the high teams you'd have to say the reasoning would be the level of coaching in those teams or the fact that there isn't the high number of the very top quality players at the coaches disposal. I think those couple of reasons plus the fact that all the other school are getting bigger and the number of students are increasing which means more players which means they have taken over an approaching school like Ash and Lauries. Then with the number of high level players the school have comes back the debate of schools scholarships.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
No hate mail here Saecom, I'm glad you managed to get the net hooked up in the den, I have always enjoyed your postings.
I agree with much of what you have posted.
I think that the Lauries and Ash 1st team this season are the weakest teams that either school has put on the park. Their declining standards have coincided with some improvements at other schools.

I have been told that the increasing poaching of players from AIC schools to GPS may have also effected the standards of AIC rugby.

I think that the lack of "hard physical kids" is more a generation thing rather than just a school by school element. I mean I don't think PS3/facebook hardens the way backyard footy and skate parks did.
One think I have notice that with this lack of "hard physical kids" across the schools, the teams which do have some size of their side do dominate.
eg Iona 2013, eddies, Peters 2012 Padua 2011 all teams with some real size about them. I guess with no "hard physical kids" the big boys will run a muck.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not exactly sure why there has been this drop in standard in Ashgroves top teams. But I think its unfair to say a total drop they are still a quite dominant school especially int he lower grades which is highly evident still in all age groups. So the drop has just been in the A teams. With it just being in the high teams you'd have to say the reasoning would be the level of coaching in those teams or the fact that there isn't the high number of the very top quality players at the coaches disposal. I think those couple of reasons plus the fact that all the other school are getting bigger and the number of students are increasing which means more players which means they have taken over an approaching school like Ash and Lauries. Then with the number of high level players the school have comes back the debate of schools scholarships.

With the greatest respect I take your on point about other schools becoming bigger however this does not seem to be reflected in more teams?
I stand by my remarks re St Laurences and Ashgrove "A' and 1st XV teams - weakest I have ever seen them (across the board).
Though we love to beat them, it is not a good development overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.