• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am sorry but this is not entirely accurate. If you refer back to my entries in the 2012 AIC Forum you can read the exact story on Downlands and AIC entry.

I can guarantee this to be 100% accurate.

I will write a longer response at another time to the theme of the threads here about the AIC competition improving however in a nutshell
  • Yes overall the comp is improving but not as much as some think
  • Most of the schools mentioned are working hard and have improved significantly
  • SLC and ASH have dropped off
  • the number of players making QLD and AUST teams from AIC schools has not risen as though the overall standard has risen there are probably less "special" players overall

its not a matter of quality? its the matter of what i said to be in the AIC you need to meet a participation criteria, downlands cannot meet this.

Granted there are other factors but as someone who was around the traps at the time this was the key reasoning.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
Didn't get to see Iona play this year, and yes an undefeated premierships speaks for itself. Where they really that good? How would they compare to last couple of years first fifteens in your 2010 villa or 2011 Padua or eddies or 2012 peters?

It's hard to say based on the competitiveness of each season. 2010 Villanova First XV was a special team that have many reasons as to why they should be remembered for what they did. They managed to defeat a fancied Ashgrove side at Ashgrove which was seen to be pretty hard to do in those days due to Ashgrove's prior dominance and Mcmahon oval's daunting and intimidating atmosphere. I'm not sure if this is the case these days with teams beating Ashgrove at McMahon oval yearly. Villa managed to defeat sides were they were challenged to the final play such as Eddies, Marist and Lauries. They had very skillful individuals, however as a whole team they were the real deal.

2011 was in my books the most competitive season the AIC has seen for a while. You obviously had the likes of Padua, Eddies and Ashgrove sharing the premiership which says alot. In my opinion, the Padua and Eddies 2011 first XV teams were very well drilled, skillful and had very large forward packs with very creative backs. There was more desire for these teams to win a premiership as they previously had been bottom 4 placed teams. Ashgrove 2011 was a team with a few standouts such as their scrum half Scott Malolua but I don't think they overall had a better team than Padua and Eddies. This is very debatable however I must say that they still managed to have a share of the premiership which argues that they were just as good.

As for Iona this year, yes they won the premiership undefeated, had very skillful players, but was an easier competition for them compared to say 2011? Iona did manage to defeat Ashgrove at Ashgrove and beat the 2012 premiers in what was a very close game. It is very debatable and I must say that while Iona did win undefeated, I do think that the competition this year was not as competitive as years before. My reason for this is that the 2nd placed teams from this year only won 5 games each whereas in other years the 2nd placed team won 6. For example, last year Ashgrove came 2nd and won 6 games, 2011 was the year of the 3 way tied premiership and from 2002-2006 Lauries were always 2nd to Ashgrove winning 6 games most of the time. I know it's only one game but that does say something about a team being able to complete the season by winning the rest of their games with the disappointment of losing a premiership deciding match.

The other side of the argument is that Iona was just too good and dealt with very strong competition to win the premiership. I'd love to hear what people have to say about this years competition vs previous years. Finally, I congratulate Iona and I'm sure that they will be remembered for many years to come.

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
It's hard to say based on the competitiveness of each season. 2010 Villanova First XV was a special team that have many reasons as to why they should be remembered for what they did. They managed to defeat a fancied Ashgrove side at Ashgrove which was seen to be pretty hard to do in those days due to Ashgrove's prior dominance and Mcmahon oval's daunting and intimidating atmosphere. I'm not sure if this is the case these days with teams beating Ashgrove at McMahon oval yearly. Villa managed to defeat sides were they were challenged to the final play such as Eddies, Marist and Lauries. They had very skillful individuals, however as a whole team they were the real deal.

2011 was in my books the most competitive season the AIC has seen for a while. You obviously had the likes of Padua, Eddies and Ashgrove sharing the premiership which says alot. In my opinion, the Padua and Eddies 2011 first XV teams were very well drilled, skillful and had very large forward packs with very creative backs. There was more desire for these teams to win a premiership as they previously had been bottom 4 placed teams. Ashgrove 2011 was a team with a few standouts such as their scrum half Scott Malolua but I don't think they overall had a better team than Padua and Eddies. This is very debatable however I must say that they still managed to have a share of the premiership which argues that they were just as good.

As for Iona this year, yes they won the premiership undefeated, had very skillful players, but was an easier competition for them compared to say 2011? Iona did manage to defeat Ashgrove at Ashgrove and beat the 2012 premiers in what was a very close game. It is very debatable and I must say that while Iona did win undefeated, I do think that the competition this year was not as competitive as years before. My reason for this is that the 2nd placed teams from this year only won 5 games each whereas in other years the 2nd placed team won 6. For example, last year Ashgrove came 2nd and won 6 games, 2011 was the year of the 3 way tied premiership and from 2002-2006 Lauries were always 2nd to Ashgrove winning 6 games most of the time. I know it's only one game but that does say something about a team being able to complete the season by winning the rest of their games with the disappointment of losing a premiership deciding match.

The other side of the argument is that Iona was just too good and dealt with very strong competition to win the premiership. I'd love to hear what people have to say about this years competition vs previous years. Finally, I congratulate Iona and I'm sure that they will be remembered for many years to come.

Would have to say 2011 is probably the most competitive I personally have seen the AIC competition. The three way premiers were all superb sides and then teams like Pats and Lauries also pushing those three all the way, when they were the dominant sides all the way through the age groups.

In saying that, I still think the Villa team of 2010 is one of the best sides to go through the competition over the last few years. Maybe the best since the Marist 2005 side that had four or five Australian schoolboys.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Would have to say 2011 is probably the most competitive I personally have seen the AIC competition. The three way premiers were all superb sides and then teams like Pats and Lauries also pushing those three all the way, when they were the dominant sides all the way through the age groups.

In saying that, I still think the Villa team of 2010 is one of the best sides to go through the competition over the last few years. Maybe the best since the Marist 2005 side that had four or five Australian schoolboys.

2011 was indeed a very competitive year as shown in the AIC 1 vs GPS 1. I had watched the game where AIC 1 dominated in the first half but were hit back in a nail biting second half loss ending 26-19. The competition was very strong back then where many of the boys were signed with nrl clubs.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Someone on the forum was saying that Ashgrove's days of being the dominant team in AIC may be over. Looking at that aggregate table tells a different story.

Ashgrove no longer dominant at 1st XV level - I am pretty sure I am much older than most posters here going back well into the days of TAS. In those days and in the early years of AIC (1998 to 2006) going to play an Ashgrove 1st XV (particularly at Ashgrove) was like taking on the All Blacks. Nothing like that now thankfully.

As I have said and repeat again - the rest of us have made HUGE improvements in standard however Ashgrove and St Laurences (at 1st XV) have at the same time dropped in standard by a margin as well.

If you are young and doubt this simply look at the stats on their Premiership records AND the number of QLD and AUSTRALIAN schools players they used to produce.

I would be pretty sure
  • They have less talent then they used to have
  • The "rugby culture" has been diluted (you only need to lose one or two charismatic staff "rugby" members for this to occur)
  • Have less (in number) talented coaches

Emjay

Frank Row (1)
Yeah the stats definitely show that at 1st XV level Ashgrove no longer dominate. As long as that's partly because other school are catching up I think that can only be a good thing for AIC and QLD rugby in general. If the most dominant team now has to really work hard to maintain that title it will be a domino effect and encourage all the other teams to continue stepping up their game.

It would be interesting to see how AIC 1s have faired vs GPS 1s over the past decade or so and see if this shows that AIC is becoming more competitive with time.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yeah the stats definitely show that at 1st XV level Ashgrove no longer dominate. As long as that's partly because other school are catching up I think that can only be a good thing for AIC and QLD rugby in general. If the most dominant team now has to really work hard to maintain that title it will be a domino effect and encourage all the other teams to continue stepping up their game.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
All schools have lifted - I'd like to think everybody would think this is a great thing. Having worked in Rugby in the above tier comp (GPS) as well, I think it is also wonderful for social reasons. Most of the AIC boys are in a culture where educators are highly respected and arrogance is not as common place. For example, I don't get how Nudgee is still the most hated team in their comp. On the contary, I have seen much respect amongst the AIC coaches and supporters in many sports which flows down to the young men.

I can remember telling teams against ASH in earlier AIC days that the pressure was actually more on them as they were expected to win. Yet, even back then they always respected their opponents. This is still seen today: for example, their coaches and seniors (ASH) are always the first to congratulate the victors or humbly accept wins in any of the cross country carnivals I have seen. As long as they are always in the thick of it I would send my sons (if I had any) or my daughters (if they were allowed) to ASH.

Incidentally, it is my belief that Iona due to its geographical location could soon be the number one sporting school in the AIC. It is hoped that they also develop their young men as holistically well as ASH's in the spirit of St Eugene De Mazenod.

DDN

Frank Row (1)
Was the 2nds comp weak? or were ASH 2nds exceptional. I havent watched a game this year but just noticed they only had points (12) scored against them in 1 match. Maybe a few more of the 2nd XV should have been playing in the 1st XV.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
You could say that regarding good players. However GPS still has far much more depth throughout teams In all age groups
Dare I say it c'arn mate (95)!

Allow us please to bask in the knowledge that our comp (where your sons can get educated at half the price) is presently in the mix well and truly. I was told by an AIC sportsmaster yesterday that the size differences between us and the monstorous GPS boys was clear. "Does that ensure that they are better however?" was my obvious response.

It was not too long ago at an AIC school that I was at where debate raged about whether the focus should be on a single AIC team only!

Well done to all AIC boys and coaches, and keep up the good work. Be sure boys to thank your 5A or U/13 coach before you leave your 'Alma Mater' and please keep playing sport.

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)
fair to say the gap between GPS and AIC is closing
Although this could be true, you must remember although it was a tie between GPS 1 and AIC 1, GPS 2 beat a full strength AIC 1 on the first day, so maybe its a matter of selection of the GPS 1 team

Status
Not open for further replies.