• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
I’m sure there is a lot of good props out there, didn’t see many at trials. Some boys maybe be fit, but there were a few seen walking around in the wing which a try or two were scored in the wing by two props. For the likes of Evander, who is a strong and pretty fit player. He looked a little lost as prop and didn’t really show any fitness and his first year at prop but made 1st gps team. No clean out work, pick and drive. I did however enjoy watching him play last year for TSS. Interesting to see how he goes today as prop against BBC. I’m predicting a TSS win for sure, too many injuries with BBC! J
Could the last half of this match>BBc went in with 6 injuries and Bowen suspended.TSS thrashed them.BBC picked up 3 more serious injuries to Seabrook and Wilkins.Star player for TSS was number 12 and 7 .Too big ,too well drilled.Awesome team is TSS,

Overheard 2 BBC coaches saying about TSS"never seen depth like at TSS.thank god we play them last and at home"
Toowong boys will need to be satisfied with a tennis premiership(again!)

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
I assume the Christian you refer to is Christian Malalau. Good player and his father is a great bloke and coach too!

Add to this the other Swain brother, Jon Seabrook (NSW Country U15 2012), Tom Jellie (lightning fast outside back), Jerumi Nanai (been at BBC forever), Lucas Palmer and Gavin De Wet and you may even have enough depth to cover for injuries for once.

Not from what I saw against TSS on weekend.still not enough depth at BBC.Maybe 2 years away.16 year olds cannot compete against 18 year olds.Every 4 years you get a British Isles tour & with it loads of repeats.I hear even Wally Lewis,chris Roche etc all repeated to make that 6 week tour ,and good luck to them as they will be play 18 year olds in Britain and Ireland.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Not from what I saw against TSS on weekend.still not enough depth at BBC.Maybe 2 years away.16 year olds cannot compete against 18 year olds.Every 4 years you get a British Isles tour & with it loads of repeats.I hear even Wally Lewis,chris Roche etc all repeated to make that 6 week tour ,and good luck to them as they will be play 18 year olds in Britain and Ireland.
Digby, I'm not sure of the stats for this year's tour but the sad thing about the tour on offer is that the ARFU hosts maybe half the squad to a European trip and promptly has them walk off into NRL/Toyota Cup programs on their return. Return on investment to the ARFU? Nada, nix, zero, nothing. Why not have a system like a return of service obligation in certain industries? We pay for something for you - you pay us back with something too - like some loyalty and respect for what was done for you. It's not a new concept. Even the Romans had a term for it - Quid Pro Quo - Latin translation- "this for that". I'd like to see the boys who experience the largesse of the ARFU and all the efforts of teacher coaches and administrators to make these tours come off, signing contracts which hold them to Rugby Union until they are 21 or so. By that stage Rugby Union can work out whether they have a part to play in the senior franchises/National programs and they are age protected up to the U20 RWC. Maybe they might wake up and see the opportunities offered for travel, personal development etc through Union. If they don't want to sign such a contract, fine, don't pick them for rep stuff and give a kid who wants to be part of the game a rep experience and gain from it. This way you strengthen Colts and Grades and you build the depth in the game. Handing out free tickets to blokes who chuck it back in your face the minute they clear customs is galling and it is doing absolutely nothing for the game in this country. UK tours have changed a lot in the times since Lewis and Co went away. The undefeated tours of the past are unlikely to happen again as the Schoolboys now play Academy squads aged up to U19/U20 or so and rarely schools teams anymore. The extra age and sheer depth of UK rugby playing numbers means we line up against a lot of physical freaks.

Mitchell

Stan Wickham (3)
I have noticed a few posts on here about the return that rugby union in general is getting from boys who make Aus schoolboys but then go on to play under twenties for an NRL side. I dont know if this idea has been floated before but why don't kids sign kids at a younger age? Im not saying do what league does and sign a bucket load of 13 year olds every year I'm saying they should start to sign kids at the 15/16 year old mark. That waay rugby union begins to compete against rugby league for these boys who can go either way in their career pathway?

RugbyFan222

Frank Row (1)
Not more drivel about scholarships . This thread is about rugby.There is another thread about scholarships that has twice the posts as this one. All squeaks about scholarships should be on that thread. Just be thankful it is happening and not like NSW GPS where 2 schools do not compete in 1st xv any more and have lost enrolments as a result. BTW Bronson,Russell , Saunders , Leafano and others have been at BBC from grade 8.

1. Helms
2. Saunders (is he a hooker or loose forward)?
3. Sala
4. Swain
5. Leyland
6. Tuuga/Gunter
7. Peterson
8. Taukipulu
9. Dempsey
10. Bowen
11. Tonge
12. Russel
13. Quick
14. Mclean
15. Wilkins

New BBC boy from Japan playing 11, lets see how this plan turns out. Tom Morrison could be playing 11 also.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
1. Helms
2. Saunders (is he a hooker or loose forward)?
3. Sala
4. Swain
5. Leyland
6. Tuuga/Gunter
7. Peterson
8. Taukipulu
9. Dempsey
10. Bowen
11. Tonge
12. Russel
13. Quick
14. Mclean
15. Wilkins

New BBC boy from Japan playing 11, lets see how this plan turns out. Tom Morrison could be playing 11 also.

Not sure of your sources ... but Tonge is not Japanese or likely to play 11. Just trolling I suspect. Try Sam Edwards, Macca Robinson or Tom Morrison as possible 11s.

RugbyFan222

Frank Row (1)
Not sure of your sources . but Tonge is not Japanese or likely to play 11. Just trolling I suspect. Try Sam Edwards, Macca Robinson or Tom Morrison as possible 11s.

Yes, they are possible 11's, it is still undecided. C. Maksoud could be replacing Saunders as Hooker.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Not sure of your sources . but Tonge is not Japanese or likely to play 11. Just trolling I suspect. Try Sam Edwards, Macca Robinson or Tom Morrison as possible 11s.

Digby, I'm not sure of the stats for this year's tour but the sad thing about the tour on offer is that the ARFU hosts maybe half the squad to a European trip and promptly has them walk off into NRL/Toyota Cup programs on their return. Return on investment to the ARFU? Nada, nix, zero, nothing. Why not have a system like a return of service obligation in certain industries? We pay for something for you - you pay us back with something too - like some loyalty and respect for what was done for you. It's not a new concept. Even the Romans had a term for it - Quid Pro Quo - Latin translation- "this for that". I'd like to see the boys who experience the largesse of the ARFU and all the efforts of teacher coaches and administrators to make these tours come off, signing contracts which hold them to Rugby Union until they are 21 or so. By that stage Rugby Union can work out whether they have a part to play in the senior franchises/National programs and they are age protected up to the U20 RWC. Maybe they might wake up and see the opportunities offered for travel, personal development etc through Union. If they don't want to sign such a contract, fine, don't pick them for rep stuff and give a kid who wants to be part of the game a rep experience and gain from it. This way you strengthen Colts and Grades and you build the depth in the game. Handing out free tickets to blokes who chuck it back in your face the minute they clear customs is galling and it is doing absolutely nothing for the game in this country. UK tours have changed a lot in the times since Lewis and Co went away. The undefeated tours of the past are unlikely to happen again as the Schoolboys now play Academy squads aged up to U19/U20 or so and rarely schools teams anymore. The extra age and sheer depth of UK rugby playing numbers means we line up against a lot of physical freaks.

Well said.I agree

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)

Some Things like death,taxes and injuries at BBC stay the same.Quick and Tuaga have not played a match and now Seabrook is out for the year and Gunter and Wilkins got injured on the weekend.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I assume the Christian you refer to is Christian Malalau. Good player and his father is a great bloke and coach too!

Add to this the other Swain brother, Jon Seabrook (NSW Country U15 2012), Tom Jellie (lightning fast outside back), Jerumi Nanai (been at BBC forever), Lucas Palmer and Gavin De Wet and you may even have enough depth to cover for injuries for once.

Gavin De Wet has gone back to The Gap State High School and no longer plays for BBC.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
2013 TSS First XV squad.
The red hot favourites this year.

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.