• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not sure what your angle is with this statement, but I don't remember seeing an advertising campaign for the Scotland test last year, or any of the Wales tests, or even the Rugby Championship or the Bledisloe. I also don't remember 20-30 thousand supporters coming to Australia to support the opposition either.

It's pretty special mate.

Not to me it isn't. It's just another series of test matches we want to win. If we were to beat the Lions 3-0 and lose every other test this year, would you consider that to be success?

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
We need Barnes to come through with the goal kicking. Because that is most likely what will separate the two teams in the first test. We'll most likely need his territorial kicking from the back as well.

Impressed with the selection of Lelo at 12. Let's hope it pays off.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hoping that Lilo and barnes pop up at first receiver off 2nd/3rd phase as I see this as being the best chance to throw the ball wide to Folau, Ioane and later Beale in space. Unfortunately I predict that JOC (James O'Connor) will either Run himself or Kick.

Brumbies returned kick with a kick and can see barnes doing the same as much as Id love to see the Wallabies keep ball in hand in a tah reds style.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
We need Barnes to come through with the goal kicking. Because that is most likely what will separate the two teams in the first test. We'll most likely need his territorial kicking from the back as well.

Is JOC (James O'Connor) not the preferred kicking option for goal?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

This is precisely what terrifies me about this game.

Barring Beiber at 10 (whic doesn't bother me even that much with Lilo at 12), the only player/position that scares me is Barnes

Call me negative, but the only thing I envisage him doing is kicking good counter-attacking ball away, and straight to the Lions back three.

I've very little faith in him to NOT kick, even if he was 10m from the tryline and unmarked. If he's been told that there is an SAS sniper in the rooftops waiting to knock him off as soon as he kicks away a good opportunity, i'd be happy.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think we might be a bit harsh on Berrick here. His previous form at fullback has been pretty good. He will kick the ball, yes, but I don't think he'll kick the air out of it with two absolute jets either side of him.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Barring Beiber at 10 (whic doesn't bother me even that much with Lilo at 12), the only player/position that scares me is Barnes

Call me negative, but the only thing I envisage him doing is kicking good counter-attacking ball away, and straight to the Lions back three.

I've very little faith in him to NOT kick, even if he was 10m from the tryline and unmarked. If he's been told that there is an SAS sniper in the rooftops waiting to knock him off as soon as he kicks away a good opportunity, i'd be happy.
couldnt agree more. Unfortunately mogg kicking alot will have justified Robbies game plan and instuction for barnes to kick

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It isn't just the act of kicking it though. It is the placement (and even the timing) of the kicks. Mogg and co at the Brumbies have been kicking well away from the receivers all year making an attacking return quite difficult.

BB's kicking last year was a bit iffy and haphazard.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If the Wallabies are going to kick, they have to make sure they find touch. Aerial ping pong will only result in the Lions winning territory. Finding touch will also put Youngs' throw under pressure, lets remember he is only getting picked because he isn't the worst of 3 ropey throwers.If they pressure Youngs' successfully Gatland ball can fall apart quite easily, just look at Wales in November they weren't getting over the gainline off the set piece and looked clueless at times. Although I'd caveat this with Sexton being a far better general than flakey Priestland.

If, and it probably is a big if, the Wallabies kick well in open play they'll have a big advantage in this game providing they can secure their own ball at lineout and scrum time. The game I think will come down to the battle at the breakdown, the Wobs look stronger there especially given the likely inclusion of Croft.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
James O'Connor and Christian Lealiifano together is effectively two rookies starting together in the most important test for the Wallabies for years.

It's a gamble - I would have preferred Barnes in place of one of them for his experience alongside.

Here's what I think JOC (James O'Connor) will need to focus on - http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/james-oconnor-is-wallaby-flyhalf/

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Barnes will be told to kick, and kick, and kick, they won't be playing in their own half

I also expect to see his kick pass wide to Folau or Iaone to be used as well

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not to me it isn't. It's just another series of test matches we want to win. If we were to beat the Lions 3-0 and lose every other test this year, would you consider that to be success?

I would like to think that a Lions series is still pretty special for the rugby following community and the players. I know when I've never been so nervous as an AB fan at half time of the 3rd test of the 93 Lions series and then the ABs put on one of the best defensive efforts I've ever seen.

ABs win series 2-1 and there's jubilation in NZ.

In 2005 after a convincing series win, when the ABs lost straight after the series to the Boks in the Republic, I don't think it in anyway diminished the series win. Henry admitted that he probably didn't deal with the players the way he should've ie getting them back focused and ready after such a high. I guess that sort of showed the difference in mindset of coming off what Henry and the team was a massive series.

IMO the occasion's are very different.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I would have thought Barnes' goal kicking was a major factor in his selection. He's more consistent then JOC (James O'Connor).

Yes that's why he's in the team. Everyone seems to gloss over that, let's be realistic here, goal kicking is going to win the series.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Barnes will be told to kick, and kick, and kick, they won't be playing in their own half

I also expect to see his kick pass wide to Folau or Iaone to be used as well

Agree. If he's in his 22 he will (and should) kick. If Digby and Izzy retreat back and Barnes catches between the 10m and halfway, I think he will swing it wide and let his team mates at it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree. If he's in his 22 he will (and should) kick. If Digby and Izzy retreat back and Barnes catches between the 10m and halfway, I think he will swing it wide and let his team mates at it.

Yep, there is no way we will want to be stuck in our own half with Halfpenny out there

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, apart from Gill and Beale the rest of the bench aren't game changers, the are replacements who will fill a role.

Whereas the Lions will throw on game changers, that last 20 to 30 minutes is going to be interesting

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Need a mix though don't you. Beale and Gill have enough ability to change the course of a game. Turnovers and slick running can hurt the lions.

Slipper also provides a lot of energy at the breakdown and pick and drive and he will have an impact.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lions team:

15. Halfpenny
14. North
13. O'Driscoll
12. J Davies
11. Cuthbert
10. Sexton
9. Phillips
8. Heaslip