• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
ScreenHunter_005.jpg

ScreenHunter_006.jpg

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wed at Sunnybank BSHS vs IGS
A close hard fought game between BSHS and IGS last night with injuries on both sides. Again BSHS a little slow to get going but was a tight encounter for most of the game. A dropped ball and a defence slip up gave IGS 2 easy tries. Apart from that a good hard game from both sides. Final score IGS 5 tries to 3.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Digby, I'm not sure of the stats for this year's tour but the sad thing about the tour on offer is that the ARFU hosts maybe half the squad to a European trip and promptly has them walk off into NRL/Toyota Cup programs on their return. Return on investment to the ARFU? Nada, nix, zero, nothing. Why not have a system like a return of service obligation in certain industries? We pay for something for you - you pay us back with something too - like some loyalty and respect for what was done for you. It's not a new concept. Even the Romans had a term for it - Quid Pro Quo - Latin translation- "this for that". I'd like to see the boys who experience the largesse of the ARFU and all the efforts of teacher coaches and administrators to make these tours come off, signing contracts which hold them to Rugby Union until they are 21 or so. By that stage Rugby Union can work out whether they have a part to play in the senior franchises/National programs and they are age protected up to the U20 RWC. Maybe they might wake up and see the opportunities offered for travel, personal development etc through Union. If they don't want to sign such a contract, fine, don't pick them for rep stuff and give a kid who wants to be part of the game a rep experience and gain from it. This way you strengthen Colts and Grades and you build the depth in the game. Handing out free tickets to blokes who chuck it back in your face the minute they clear customs is galling and it is doing absolutely nothing for the game in this country. UK tours have changed a lot in the times since Lewis and Co went away. The undefeated tours of the past are unlikely to happen again as the Schoolboys now play Academy squads aged up to U19/U20 or so and rarely schools teams anymore. The extra age and sheer depth of UK rugby playing numbers means we line up against a lot of physical freaks.

Dear Monday Expert & others.You will not be suprised to hear that Broncos,Titans & Storm recruiters were all at the trials.Well known Bronco scout watching the GPS 2 team very closely.More boys off to NRL I think.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
just back from Ballymore, fair to say the gap between GPS and AIC closing should be reflected in selections

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)
just back from Ballymore, fair to say the gap between GPS and AIC closing should be reflected in selections
Although this could be true, you must remember although it was a tie between GPS 1 and AIC 1, GPS 2 beat a full strength AIC 1 on the first day, so maybe its a matter of selection of the GPS 1 team

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
Although this could be true, you must remember although it was a tie between GPS 1 and AIC 1, GPS 2 beat a full strength AIC 1 on the first day, so maybe its a matter of selection of the GPS 1 team
While that is true FootyHead, you must also understand that AIC were playing without Wilkin and Junior, two players that will be in the QLD 1 side. Congratulations to the AIC side.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
fair call maybe there have been some errors with selection with GPS 1 can't say myself.
However my point was the Gap that so many GPS boys love to crow about is closing up. I based this on
AIC 1 19 GPS 1 19
GPS 2 19 AIC 1 10
AIC 2 15 GPS 3 10
so after 3 hours of GPS and AIC rugby there is nothing in it.
The Gap is closing

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
check out our review of day 1 of the qld schoolboy trials!​
Dear Monday Expert & others.You will not be suprised to hear that Broncos,Titans & Storm recruiters were all at the trials.Well known Bronco scout watching the GPS 2 team very closely.More boys off to NRL I think.
Dear Digby, I'm sure they were there. They'd be mad not to be - all this talent, most of it unaligned to RL, on a platter in front of them. Team managers would be advised of NRL scout protocols but these NRL guys care little for these things. Most of their best they've already signed up - properly signed, not a waterbottle and T shirt deal. I've seen these sorts of scouts at national championships and the like. They'd be all over the Union boys the same way GPS school recruiters are salivating about the scholarship offers they can make to CSS and AIC kids at the same trials. The posters in this thread talking about the gaps closing between AIC and GPS on the basis of one result should ask themselves that one. Are there any GPS boys being sweet talked over to the AIC competition for 2014?? What .....none, you say?? I wonder why that would be?

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Dear Digby, I'm sure they were there. They'd be mad not to be - all this talent, most of it unaligned to RL, on a platter in front of them. Team managers would be advised of NRL scout protocols but these NRL guys care little for these things. Most of their best they've already signed up - properly signed, not a waterbottle and T shirt deal. I've seen these sorts of scouts at national championships and the like. They'd be all over the Union boys the same way GPS school recruiters are salivating about the scholarship offers they can make to CSS and AIC kids at the same trials. The posters in this thread talking about the gaps closing between AIC and GPS on the basis of one result should ask themselves that one. Are there any GPS boys being sweet talked over to the AIC competition for 2014?? What ...none, you say?? I wonder why that would be?

Monday's Expert(s) (great song by Weddings Parties Anything),

Is it the boys or their parents being sweet talked over to GPS?

Before being charged with starting a 'class war' (or being told to move the discussion to another thread), I have seen many parents seduced by the promised aura of 'GPS glory' only to have their boys unhappy and playing 2nd XV when they might have made AIC first XV teams in grade 11.

Also, many of the 'sholarships' are only '50%ers' that the parents chased for their own egos and end up paying more than you would pay on this 'discount' than you would pay in full fees at Iona or Padua. Allow us AIC 'underdogs' to bask a little please whilst we pray for greater consideration at the selection table for our boys.

I would love to see stats of how many boys from these teams go on to play professionally. I would guess that a greater relative percentage would come from the AIC, just as every heavyweight boxing champ (apart from the Swedish bloke in the early 60s) came from the slums - sometimes you need to fight your way out before you get to the top.

Sure statistics are only as powerful at the spruiker but from Iona College 2005-2008 their are presently seven men plaing elite footy in AFL, League, or, Union. All blokes played 'rugger' in the black and white. I am sure Eddies, Pats and others would have similar stories.

Not Rugby but: The 65+ page report on Australian swimming after our debacle at 2012 Olympics makes interesting reading for all who want to treat anybody 'SPECIAL': one of the recommendations was to get the athletes back into their clubs. A better person will become a better athlete you see - Wayne Bennett and Cyril Connell always wanted to know what kind of family the blokes were from...

God bless!

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)

Before being charged with starting a 'class war' (or being told to move the discussion to another thread), I have seen many parents seduced by the promised aura of 'GPS glory' only to have their boys unhappy and playing 2nd XV when they might have made AIC first XV teams in grade 11.

Also, many of the 'sholarships' are only '50%ers' that the parents chased for their own egos and end up paying more than you would pay on this 'discount' than you would pay in full fees at Iona or Padua. Allow us AIC 'underdogs' to bask a little please whilst we pray for greater consideration at the selection table for our boys.

I would love to see stats of how many boys from these teams go on to play professionally. I would guess that a greater relative percentage would come from the AIC, just as every heavyweight boxing champ (apart from the Swedish bloke in the early 60s) came from the slums - sometimes you need to fight your way out before you get to the top.

Sure statistics are only as powerful at the spruiker but from Iona College 2005-2008 their are presently seven men plaing elite footy in AFL, League, or, Union. All blokes played 'rugger' in the black and white. I am sure Eddies, Pats and others would have similar stories.

Not Rugby but: The 65+ page report on Australian swimming after our debacle at 2012 Olympics makes interesting reading for all who want to treat anybody 'SPECIAL': one of the recommendations was to get the athletes back into their clubs. A better person will become a better athlete you see - Wayne Bennett and Cyril Connell always wanted to know what kind of family the blokes were from.

God bless!

Spot on my friend, Pats have 8 boys running around in league, union and AFL at the pro level at the moment, a solid representation for a school that is on the slow rise. For those that say it is one result closing the gap, all games in the past 3 years have been within a try in the GPS 1 AIC 1 games. Fairly consistent if you ask me.

While GPS have more depth the players at the top of AIC are of a similar standard IMO, but each to their own I guess.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Interesting that only one ACGS boy made it, are they a weak side this year? Tanuvesa and Schafer were two who I thought would feature for GPS. Then again they were over-represented last year so perhaps it's just part of the cycle.

Regardless, TSS seems to be the team to beat. Third, Clifton and Papworth are the big guns, I really rate Fielea . Marsden (11) and Nathan (14) have been solid performers for a few years now and the combination with Todd and Third looks deadly. The GPS 2 #15 is a typo I'm assuming and meant to be Bowen, again another player who has plenty of potential. I like the look of the GPS 2 side, Rodwell, MacMillan and Brown is a mobile backrow and with Tuttle at the scrum base they could cause some issues. Can't say I know many of the boys in GPS 3.

Noticed Conrad Quick in the Chairmans XV, one of the many to have moved down south over the years, shame for BBC as he was one of their better players. All Terrace front-row indicates that GT might finish a little higher than 9th this year.

If I were to guess at a QLD 1 side...
1. Lakehm Aiono - GPS 2
2. Alex Mafi - GPS 1
3. Sam Clifton - GPS 1
4. Matthew Burke - AIC 2 - (Just like his name)
5. Jake Upfield - GPS 1
6. Jayden Rodwell - GPS 2
7. Brad Wilkin - AIC 1
8. Junior
Fakaosilea - AIC 1
9. James Tuttle - GPS 2
10. Mitch Third - GPS 1
11. Matt Marsden - GPS 1
12. Nili Fielea - GPS 2
13. Landon Hayes - GPS 1
14. Naryhl Bennet - AIC 1
15. Adrian Henley - AIC 1

Can't comment on CSS kids but no doubt there will be some tough country bugger who makes the second-row.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
I think you may have got him mixed up with another boy who left last year... Maybe 50 year olds shouldn't be on schoolboy forums??

Don't think I could be confused... saw him in school uniform at school Friday afternoon. Looked like he was still at school to me.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)

Not Rugby but: The 65+ page report on Australian swimming after our debacle at 2012 Olympics makes interesting reading for all who want to treat anybody 'SPECIAL': one of the recommendations was to get the athletes back into their clubs. A better person will become a better athlete you see - Wayne Bennett and Cyril Connell always wanted to know what kind of family the blokes were from.

God bless!

Mate possibly the best post I have seen on this forum, however we may need to leave this GPS thread we are starting to tarnish the sliver spoons.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Are there any GPS boys being sweet talked over to the AIC competition for 2014?? What ...none, you say?? I wonder why that would be?

.....Ah because AIC schools don't need to do marketing they have plenty of potential students on waiting list who wish to get a great all-round education at a reasonable cost. AIC make great Men some of which become great footballers AIC makes them, GPS ........? many of them . So yeah your dead right there won't be any GPS boys sweet talked over to AIC, not the AIC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.