• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Re: Skelton, it's more than a little hopeful, but he did stand up to the same pack only a couple weeks ago.

Kimlin would be a good realistic choice, but I'm not convinced he offers enough grunt in the scrum. I have the same reservations about Hugh Pyle.

I don't think Smmons should be anywhere near a wallaby jersey.

Jesus mate, Skelton is not ready. Furthermore, the Tahs scrum got dicked with him at lock by the Force and Lions.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Jesus mate, Skelton is not ready. Furthermore, the Tahs scrum got dicked with him at lock by the Force and Lions.

I'm not going to debate the point at length because it's not a realistic proposition.

However, it's bullshit to say he's not ready when he played the same pack a couple weeks back and shone.

But for injury, Timani would be the obvious player to come in if Horwill, as expected, has a long break on the sidelines. Skelton is like for like in my view, despite being relatively green.

Realistically, Deans will probably elevate Simmons (unfortunately). I'd much prefer either Kimlin or Pyle.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think there are question marks over Palus place in the team. We could go with Mowen at 8 and MMM or Kimlin at 6

From rugbystats.com.au:

Ben Mowen: 80 mins, 8 tackles, 6 runs (28m), 6 ruck/maul, 1 t/over, 4 missed tackles.

Wycliff Palu: 80 mins, 8 tackles, 7 runs (29m), 7 ruck/maul, 3 missed tackles.

So what, exactly, are these question marks? No, stats don't tell the full story but it's pretty clear that Palu was not a liability.

Our pack performed well enough to win last night, but the backs couldn't make it happen consistently. Despite that, we had two shots at goal that could have done the job.

My only change to the forwards would be dropping Simmons for MMM and Kimlin to ensure more versatility and more grunt off the bench.

HSM

Allen Oxlade (6)
Changes I'd make for the 2nd test: Youngs, Croft, St Sam, Heaslip, Phillips, Davies, Cuthbert out Hibbard SOB Tipuric Faletau Youngs Roberts Bowe in

Changes Gatland will make Lydiate in Croft out

I thought Tom Youngs got through a lot of work around the park and was accurate enough in the lineouts - why would you drop him?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I thought Tom Youngs got through a lot of work around the park and was accurate enough in the lineouts - why would you drop him?
Agreed. Also hard to say who exactly was at fault given that they were all changed at the same time, but the 2nd front row that came on was significantly weaker and the Lions scrum was a shambles from that point onwards.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

Lions need more big ball carriers, that said I wouldn't be unhappy if he played next week

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
With completely different Lions props. Robinson got drilled by Adam Jones - Robbo was good though. We'll be better next week.
Jones had some skulduggery going on - very experienced operator. Robbo did OK, I think that first scrum was just missed timing by the Wallabies. I wouldn't want to see too much tinkering, and I agree, the scrum will be better. Although that might depend on Horwill's presence or absence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wouldn't make changes to the forwards apart from forced ones if Horwill is out. Sure, MMM on the bench maybe, Kimlin too.
The forwards performed very well - good set pieces in the main, disrupted some mauls well, breakdown work was good.
Obviously, in the backs we have forced issues compounding the one glaring bad selection - JOC (James O'Connor) - and I am not too sure what the best combo will be. Lealiifano and Barnes were awfully unlucky injuries, and the loss of better goal kicking and playmaking options was too much from which to recover. If he starts Horne, I hope it's at 12, not 13, as he has been far better this year than last. Of course, that also depends upon who is placed inside and outside.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
From rugbystats.com.au:

Ben Mowen: 80 mins, 8 tackles, 6 runs (28m), 6 ruck/maul, 1 t/over, 4 missed tackles.

Wycliff Palu: 80 mins, 8 tackles, 7 runs (29m), 7 ruck/maul, 3 missed tackles.

So what, exactly, are these question marks? No, stats don't tell the full story but it's pretty clear that Palu was not a liability.

Our pack performed well enough to win last night, but the backs couldn't make it happen consistently. Despite that, we had two shots at goal that could have done the job.

My only change to the forwards would be dropping Simmons for MMM and Kimlin to ensure more versatility and more grunt off the bench.

Do these stats count run metres as metres over the gain line, or simply metres from where the ball was caught?

I don't necessarily think Palu should be dropped for the next test, but I thought he was just about our weakest forward last night. And our lineout abilities could improve dramatically if Kimlin or MMM were to come into the starting side.

On your suggestion of dropping Simmons; Whilst I am not sold on Simmons as a player, I think you need a strong scrummaging lock on the bench to keep the scrum stable late in the game, and I don't know if MMM or Kimlin really offer that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Do these stats count run metres as metres over the gain line, or simply metres from where the ball was caught.

I don't necessarily think Palu should be dropped for the next test, but I thought he was just about our weakest forward last night. And our lineout abilities could improve dramatically if Kimlin or MMM were to come into the starting side.

On your suggestion of dropping Simmons; Whilst I am not sold on Simmons as a player, I think you need a strong scrummaging lock on the bench to keep the scrum stable late in the game, and I don't know if MMM or Kimlin really offer that.
But our line out was fine? Did we have any major issues there?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Do these stats count run metres as metres over the gain line, or simply metres from where the ball was caught.

Usually they are from where the ball was caught. I wasn't watching him in particular, but it seemed to me that Palu always made the gain line. I'm not saying he was better than Mowen -- who I thought had a cracking game -- but he was pretty good.

I didn't rate Simmons last night. I know he didn't get much game time, but he didn't come on and move bodies. It was a big step down from Douglas, IMO, who was pretty good in the first half.

For me, the issue is flexibility. MMM or Kimlin on the bench gives lock, 6 and even 8 cover. And both are tough, physical units. I think we need a big, fresh body that come on and match the physicality of the Lions' second unit.

Edit: To clarify, I think Simmons and Douglas need to be a "one or the other" proposition. I'd be fine with either player, but do think Douglas did well enough last night to hold his place.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
From the Wobs twitter

ANNOUNCEMENT: Jesse Mogg, Ben Tapuai and George Smith will be joining Camp Wallaby in Melbourne tonight. #LionsTour

Not sure about Mogg or Taps tho I guess there's not much choice. But George!!!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Based on recent weeks I would've brought To'omua into Wallaby camp.........

But I can understand Tapuai's inclusion with injury concerns for our first 3 choice inside centres.........

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who is George being brought into the squad for?

Won't he be suffering from the same lack of recent game performance that is a major criticism that many had against some of the original team selections?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Mogg is too green to debut in this series IMHO.

He's a bloke you'd bring on slow, playing him off the bench in the lesser RC games and then maybe a start on the spring tour.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Regarding backline selections, I think there were two selection errors in hindsight, not one - JOC (James O'Connor) at ten, Barnes at 15. Not because of Barnes' unfortunate injury, but because he was rather poor before that. edit: oh, forgot Ioane. Hindsight says that rushing back Ioane was a mistake as well. But Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) stood out more pre-game.

Beale will likely come back into the side. Beale's organisational play and running was very good. He will need to work on his defence, which was worse than another person I'd rather now name last night. 2 tackles, 2 misses, and I am sure that's not including one where North strolled past that was luckily called back for a forward pass from O'Driscoll.

I can't see Deans dropping JOC (James O'Connor) either. The question for me is, who will be at 10, and who will be at fullback? Assuming Barnes, Lelo, McCabe are all out, I guess Deans will go JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 Beale at 15 again. Remember Deans is stubborn, and takes a long time to admit mistakes.

I actually assume either Lelo or Barnes will be OK for the next game, as Deans did not call in any 5/8 cover.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Who is George being brought into the squad for?

Won't he be suffering from the same lack of recent game performance that is a major criticism that many had against some of the original team selections?

12?
The Wallabies have called up veteran flanker George Smith plus backs Ben Tapuai and Jesse Mogg to bolster a side decimated by injury during Australia’s loss to the British and Irish Lions in Brisbane on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/smith-called-up-as-wallabies-sweat-on-skipper-20130623-2oq53.html#ixzz2X1OLKxm3

Status
Not open for further replies.