• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Sport TV Ratings.. Rugby Falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I'd want to bet JON is chuckling.

JON overpricing the game is part of the reason we're in this situation.

Rugby needs to be a value proposition for networks until it builds a consistent national audience.

The A-League went from a rights deal of $700,000 in its first season to $40 million next season by proving its product and its value. Rugby needs to do the same.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Face facts. Rugby as a sport is not exactly swamped with interest from FTA.

Channel Seven had it for many years, but dropped it. Channel Nine never really wanted it, apparently.

That leaves a competitive field of one (assuming that SBS would not want it, either, which is a pretty fair bet).

When you only have one interested party, negotiation is not quite the word to describe what happens next.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
So which FTA contract did JON overprice?

I think it is more that he has put too high a price on the super rugby rights, which has forced the FTA networks to withdraw from the bidding.

Ten were very interested in having some super rugby games on their old sports channel ONE. But, the price was too high.

T

TOCC

Bullshit people..

SANZAR aren't some body who operate autonomously, it is owned and governed by the member unions from each country. The ARU has a big say in how the broadcast deal is done..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bullshit people..

SANZAR aren't some body who operate autonomously, it is owned and governed by the member unions from each country. The ARU has a big say in how the broadcast deal is done..

Of course they do. They still have to come to the party though.

They can't demand that SA and NZ need to maximise the value of their TV rights deals and then say that the Australian deal will be substantially lower because the ARU need to grow the game in Australia.

The ARU is stuck between a rock and a hard place because the only match FTA would be interested in showing live each week would be one of Foxtel's biggest two matches. Foxtel doesn't get value out of Super Rugby by having matches in South Africa at 3am on a Sunday morning. Their value comes from the Australian games at 7:30pm on Friday and Saturday night.

T

TOCC

The ARU argue for an equal portion of the overall deal based on value of the Foxtel broadcast deal..

If they really really wanted to go FTA they could easily negotiate that they take a smaller portion of the overall deal.

Obviously this isn't ideal or practical, but any suggestion that the ARU is unable to influence the FTA/PayTV deal is nonsense.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
IIRC, Foxtel have all rights for Super and international rugby in Australia - it is they who then on-sell the rights to FTA. Wallaby games have to be on FTA due to the anti-siphoning legislation, but Super games do not, and Foxtel want to keep those games exclusive to them to drive subscriptions.

The ARU would have to persuade SANZAR to take a pay cut if Foxtel lost their exclusive rights to Super Rugby - no doubt NZ and SA would expect the ARU to accept the majority of that pay cut. TV rights are a major income source - how much of a pay cut do you think the ARU could absorb? They're cashed up now due to the Lions tour, but at current rates, they will be running losses until either the next Lions tour or home RWC, so it would be a brave CEO who would slash company revenue on the hope that FTA Super Rugby would become a cash cow...

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
Whether to grow the game in Australia through FTA coverage or take the money for an exclusive deal with FoxSports.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep. And, from the perspective you note BH, the tragedy of Saturday's result was the enormous national showcase for rugby and a fabulous crowd atmosphere etc, and we produced an embarrassingly inept performance little better than that achieved in Marseilles October 2007, and a long way from the amazing thriller of November 2003.

We rugby tragics see things quite differently to the average sports fan. My experience with family members who are rusted-on mungo supporters but occasionally watch big rugby matches is that they didn't see "an embarrassingly inept performance little better......" They saw an exciting game with plenty of to-and-fro action, heavy defense, incisive attack and the Lions finally running away with it after the sixty minute mark. They enjoyed the game, though they were scathing about the scrum penalties, which they thought were an unfair way of restarting the game.

[One had an interesting take on the game, saying that the turning point in the match was when the Wallabies had caught back up to 19-13 and got another penalty. "Why throw away all the momentum we had at that time by taking a penalty kick and not going for a converted try? At that stage the Lions were on the ropes" At the ground I had a similar thought but felt it was probably a 50-50 call. Given what followed he had a point. But most of the comment on this site from rugby tragics has been people decrying the times we went for the corner and didn't take more penalties.]

My point (yes, I'm getting there) is that to convert people to our game who are occasional watchers we need to foster an attitude of all out attack in the Aussie teams, keeping the ball in play as much as possible. I do not accept that we will lose all the time if we do, and sometimes in a game we will need to take the penalty points on offer. But if we want Rugby to rise above no. 4 in Australian winter sports then we have to make it more dynamic. In defense of my point, the greatest match I have ever seen was the 2000 Aust-NZ test at Olympic Park where about 80 points were scored and NZ won by a couple. Uncommitted fans talked about that game for weeks! It left mungo games for dead.

There are some promising things happening:
  • The new scrum laws, if properly implemented, will get the ball in play quicker with less resets and less penalties. The scrum will still however be a contest.
  • We have chosen a new national coach who has an attacking mindset. Had White been chosen we would have got SA-lite gameplans, which might have inspired us tragics and won games but would have entrenched our 4th position in Australia.
  • We have a wonderful crop of talented players on hand right now. Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Foley, Genia, Cooper, Mogg, Kuridrani, Speight, Lilo, JOC (James O'Connor), Godwin etc. We are similarly blessed in the forwards. They have generally been poorly coached in attack at Super and National level, but Cheika's return and Link's elevation are steps in the right direction. Both the Brumbies and the Rebels have shown some excellent attacking intent this year.
I'm excited about the possibilities for the next few years. Sure, everything could be dragged down by lots of possible factors. But we can re-establish Rugby to its 2000-03 levels and win over converts from other codes if we single-mindedly put the effort in.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
But we can re-establish Rugby to its 2000-03 levels and win over converts from other codes if we single-mindedly put the effort in.

If all levels - and all components within each level - are prepared to work together for the greater good, then we could certainly do a lot better than we are.

However, which province is going to be willing to forego their success for the greater good? (For example, by picking a player in the position that the Wobbs coaching staff would prefer? Or by resting a player at a critical time of the season?)

Which rich club will be willing to forego some of its privileges, and share their resources with the strugglers?

Which private school rugby coaches will be allowed to spend some of their time in the local state school; not to mention share training resources?

I wish.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The Manchester United game vs. A-League rated 796,000 on Seven and a further 200,000 on delay.
Sooceroos vs Iraq rated 1.7m in the mid week game. Highlights that mid week sports rates better than Saturday night sport.

1.5m for the Lions on a Sat night was a good result.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
You do realise the Socceroos were playing at the same time. Add in those ratings.
Was the game on Fox or SBS?

EDIT: looking at the soccer blogs. The game barely rated all eyes were on the Man U game. No one really cared about that game apparently because it was a second string team.

T

TOCC

Wallabies v British & Irish Lions test 6th Jul
FTA Metro: 875'000
Fox: 427'000
Total: 1'502'000

So for the series:
1st Test: 1'266'000
2nd Test: 1'229'000
3rd Test: 1'502'000

Total: 3'997'000

2013 1st Bledisloe
CH 10 FTA Metro: 607'000
FOX: 337'000
Total: 944'000

In 2012 the first Bledisloe only drew 377'000 on Channel 9.. So big increase, just goes to show what a little bit of extra publicity and good advertising by the broadcasting channel can do.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
2013 1st Bledisloe
CH 10 FTA Metro: 607'000
FOX: 337'000
Total: 944'000

In 2012 the first Bledisloe only drew 377'000 on Channel 9.. So big increase, just goes to show what a little bit of extra publicity and good advertising by the broadcasting channel can do.

TOCC also goes to show what broadcasting the match live throughout Australia does as well. Channel None were only showing matches live in Brisbane and Sydney. The rest of the country got them at 11:30pm.

Since Ten got the rights I have been watching the Wallabies on Ten (plus I like Gordon Bray).

Status
Not open for further replies.