• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds Prelim 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Has anyone got any news on Will Genia and James Horwill? I heard last week that they were optimistic about playing this week, but Will's hand and knee sounded pretty serious.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Has anyone got any news on Will Genia and James Horwill? I heard last week that they were optimistic about playing this week, but Will's hand and knee sounded pretty serious.

News Ltd interview with Link today indicated likelihood that WG & JH both ready to play v Cru. AF in some doubt, ditto MH. RD out for at least 3-4 months. Talk of centres as CFS, BT.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Radio (can't remember if ABC or MMM Rush Hour) had Genia and Horwill playing, A. Finger in serious doubt. No mention of Mike Harris.

Someone mentioned that CFS played for Souths last weekend. That'd make Shipperley and Morahan the starting wings with Ioane and Davies out, Lucas likely at fullback, Taps and CFS in the centres with Lance on the bench if A. Finger and Harris are out. No idea who the other back reserve would be unless Link goes a 5/2 split with Frisby covering 9, wing, fullback.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Really hoping that at least one of Harris and Fainga'a are fit. Would play either at 12 over Taps currently and move him to the bench and drop Butler.

1. Holmes
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Quirk
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Morahan
12. Tapuai
13. CFS
14. Shipperley
15. Lucas

16. Hanson
17. Anae
18. ODonoghue
19. Samo
20. Butler
21. Frisby
22. Lance

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If McCaw wasn't playing I certainly would not use his absence as an excuse for losing the game. We have this bloke called Matt Todd & he's done a very good job this year.

Lets see, RD15 we were beaten by the Chiefs. RD16 we only just dragged our arses over the line against the Tahs. RD17 Bye (horrendous Bye week that no one enjoys). RD18 40-12 over the Clan (not much to crow about given the Clan have had a poor year). RD19 45-15 over the Chiefs, & 25-17 against the Canes.

When I look at our recent games & hear so many Rugby commentators & friends go on about the so-called form of the Saders I wonder whether we are actually watching the same team? Maybe I'm a hard marker but for mine the only decent game we've played recently was the Chiefs win. I was very optimistic we could beat anyone if we played like that. Then I was promptly brought back to earth the following week when the Canes turned up to play & was actually pretty unlucky not to have won that game.

If we rock up as we did against the Chiefs in the 45-15 game we will beat anyone. TBH I'm not so much worried about what any potential threats may come from the opposition - I'm more concerned about my own teams "good game - average/bad game" sew saw that seems to be going on.

As far as the Reds go I find the Tahs v Reds game a bit of a hard one to read given there were a few players out from both sides. Reds defence however was very good. In addition I would say the Reds good form in NZ can cancel out any perceived home advantage that the Saders may have had.

No clear favourite for mine. Very much on a knife edge & hopefully the game lives up to the hype.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It is a curious one AngrySeahorse for most of the reasons you mention. I remember watching the Saders/Chiefs game and thinking that the Saders would've demolished the B&I Lions in that game. Then when I confidently tipped them to smack the Canes it was a somewhat nervous 70-75min game to watch. But on the whole, the Saders just 'know' how to do finals. If any of the other 5 teams could rank who they wanted to play, the Saders would be at the bottom of their lists.

Having said that though, if the Saders ranked who they wanted to play out of the other top 6 teams, I get the feeling that the Reds would be close to the bottom of their list with the way the Reds like to get up for Kiwi teams and in particular, the ChCh lads.

In the cold light of the day, I expect that the Crusaders will be too strong, but I won't be a bit surprised if they get knocked over. Love finals footy! :D

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Regarding the form team at the moment, if you look at the win/loss record over the last few weeks of the competition only, the Crusaders are the only team to win their last 4 games:

Chiefs - W L W B W
Bulls - L W W W W
Brumbies - L B B W W W L
Crusaders - W W W W L
Reds - W B B W L L W
Cheetahs - B W L L W W

Maybe they weren't convincing in some of those games, but it would be hard to argue that any of the other 5 teams is in better form than them at the moment.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My heart says RED RED RED nut the head says LOOK OUT HERE COME THE SADERS
Can just never back any team than the Reds - so Reds it is by 2

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
AngrySeahorse

They absolutely demolished the Chiefs but I agree the Hurricanes game was a bit shaky. I think the Crusaders are renowned because when it all 'clicks' (which seems to happen more often with them than with other teams) they can absolutely dismantle a squad. I think the game against the Stormers is a good example of this. Saw the strength in the Stormers squad (line out) and saw the weakness within that (Bekker taking vast majority of the balls and being their strongest jumper by a large margin) and absolutely shredded the Stormers game plan. More so than any other team I think the 'Saders can stop you from playing the football you want to play and impose themselves upon you. They also punish teams for mistakes more efficiently and brutally than any other team I can think of.

FrankLind

That's pretty huge. Romano has to be one of the best locks in the world right now and is just great at everything. The Romano/Whitelock pairing has been pretty devastating this year.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Horwill, Genia back. Lance at 12, CFS on wing... Interesting.

Reds Team: Holmes, S.Fainga'a, Slipper, Simmons, Horwill, Quirk, Gill, Schatz, Genia, Cooper, Feauai-Sautia, Lance, Tapuai, Shipperley, Lucas

Bench: Anae, Owen, O’Donoghue, Samo, Robinson, Frisby, Morahan

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Reds team announced:
bGwoqpk.png

I'd like to CFS make a name for himself in this match but I'm starting to feel like a broken record stuck on repeat.

Lance at 12 has me feeling pretty uneasy but I understand why he's there. Gonna be a long end to the week waiting for this one...

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That centre pairing is a bit of a concern.

Thought the Reds might look to attack the Crusaders centres but they'll be looking to do the same now.

Reds at best odds against the Crusaders since Rd 2, 2010.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Saders
1. Crockett
2. Flynn
3. Franks
4. Romano
5. White lock
6. Whitelock
7.Todd
8. Read
9. Ellis