• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Le Tour de France 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is what my friend got from a couple of twitter accounts he follows:

Final 15.65km - Froome is actually the 2nd quickest all time 48:35 v Armstrongs 48:33 from 2002.

Froome is the quickest up the last 6.15kms 17:41 v Pantani 18:11 from 2000.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Haven't tuned into the TdF this year but keeping up with results and watching highlights etc. Froome is questionable, I do remember him being strong last year but his climbing has just gone beyond anything anyone has ever done before.

Porte is riding superbly, could win this thing one day. On the other hand I feel Cadel has peaked, just can't keep up.

Can anyone suggest a few young riders to keep an eye out for?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
So Froome wins the ITT last night by 9 seconds, with a bike change included.

Is that adding to the suspicion or is he just a freak?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So Froome wins the ITT last night by 9 seconds, with a bike change included.

Is that adding to the suspicion or is he just a freak?

Well, if you want to put on a tinfoil hat, the latest area of discussion revolves around something called bilharzia.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...arasite_295548

"Some of the statements regarding bilharzia by Team Sky cannot be true.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...arasite_295548

My wife works as a post-doc studying infectious diseases, primarily researching schistosomiasis - which is the more common, scientific name for bilharzia.
The treatment for schistosomiasis/bilharzia is biltricide (Praziquantel) as mentioned, but the treatment is a one-day treatment. Reference here: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...6b8#nlm34068-7 under dosage and adminsitration.

If schistosomasis/bilharzia was diagnosed in 2010, Froome should have been given the one day treatment and it should have no longer been an issue. The only reported occurrences of when the initial treatment does not eradicate the infection is when a heavy worm burden is in the system (i.e. a lot of worms infected Froome.) Even in those cases, treatment does not drag on for 18 months+. A heavy worm burden would also make the symptoms more severe than "I was always getting little colds and coughs, nothing serious".

Thus, it's unlikely to claim that it's still in his system (as of January according to the above article), unless he got re-infected by continuing to come into contact with contaminated waters. Given his reported history with this infection, that would be stupid.

There are other inconsistencies with the claims given:
"It’s not something that just disappears. It’s a parasite. It lays eggs. They might be dormant, then the eggs hatch, then they lay more eggs" - Completely false: Eggs laid in humans do not, and cannot hatch; they can only hatch in fresh water (after being excreted by humans). They also need interaction with snails before the hatched eggs can infect humans again. Source: Under Pathophysiology/Life Cycle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schistosomiasis, also fairly common knowledge for those familiar with the infection.

Biltricide "basically kills everything in your system" - also false, same link above about the treatment under Adverse Effects - "In general BILTRICIDE is very well tolerated. Side effects are usually mild and transient and do not require treatment." Thus, a week of not being able to ride his bike is a ridiculous statement.

I'm not sure why they would lie to / misinform us about something like this...".

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That article had way too many big words for my brain to process constructively but that is interesting nonetheless.

After last night I've fallen off the fence in my opinion, he's a super freak, the kind of freak that doesn't come naturally.

The sad thing about this years tour is that no one will ever believe he is/was clean regardless of what the evidence may suggest.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tough day at the office for the boys on the TdF this year.
12.3 km climb to the top of L'Alpe D'Huez on the first lap.
14 km on the second climb to the top.

Stage18profileTourdeFrance2.png

Graphic from:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/21/tour-de-france-stage-18-preview

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Great stage it was too. I was gutted for TJ not being able to hold it together long enough to win. Froome was struggling BIG TIME on that last ascent and Porte just confirmed again the champion in waiting he is by assisting him over the line.

There was constant channel shuffling going on between the tour and the cricket last night.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Richie Porte is a fucking machine. He has hurt people left right and centre. If he is needed, he is there. If Froome is hungry, he is there.

Unbelievable.

Reactions: daz

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Richie Porte is a fucking machine. He has hurt people left right and centre. If he is needed, he is there. If Froome is hungry, he is there.

Unbelievable.

Yeah, he's terrific isn't he. That's why I think he's a champion of the future. Hasn't flinched, always been there when the tough stuff is on and put a gap in the others. He and Michael Rogers did the same for Wiggins last year (along with Froome). Aussie cycling is looking relatively good at the minute.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Here's to the little Colombian beating seven sorts of shit out of Contador tonight.

D

daz

Gotta give credit to Froome; that was one hell of a ride and he was outstanding from start to finish. Well deserved victory.

But I am willing to bet all the change in my pockets that Froome will buy Porte beers for the rest of his life. A truly superb job as wingman - He pushed Froome when he had to, gave encouragement when it was needed and kept the pedals ticking over with Swiss clock-like monotony.

I agree with Gaggs; put Porte in OGE as GC team leader and his time will come.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Back in June during the Dauphiné, Sky announced they had extended Porte's contract but did not say for how long. They also said he will likely be team leader for the 2014 Giro. Bring it on!!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Back in June during the Dauphiné, Sky announced they had extended Porte's contract but did not say for how long. They also said he will likely be team leader for the 2014 Giro. Bring it on!!
I wouldn't get excited yet. Wiggins will throw a series of tantrums about it as he would want another crack at the Giro. Is he still under contract with Sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.