• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If there is a clearly better option I think you have to pick them even if they are heading overseas.

Picking a player who isn't as good because you feel like he might be good in the future is a recipe for failure. Next year that player could be injured of could be behind other players.

The only sure thing to do is to pick your best team every time because you don't know what the situation is going to be a year down the track.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I have been loathe to bring it up in the past but with Higgers, Timani, Palu and TPN all out or semi-injured we are lacking severely in the physicality stakes.

Despite Mowen's good form in the Lions series he is still more a grafter than a thumper, and Horwill has been lacking punch with his ball-running and defence.

Samo has been impressive off the bench the past few weeks for the Reds, is the old dog ready for one last stand or has the boat sailed for the 37-year-old? Who else is there? MMM? Auela is massive but doesn't really deserve to be in the test selection frame.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have been loathe to bring it up in the past but with Higgers, Timani, Palu and TPN all out or semi-injured we are lacking severely in the physicality stakes.

Despite Mowen's good form in the Lions series he is still more a grafter than a thumper, and Horwill has been lacking punch with his ball-running and defence.

Samo has been impressive off the bench the past few weeks for the Reds, is the old dog ready for one last stand or has the boat sailed for the 37-year-old? Who else is there? MMM? Auela is massive but doesn't really deserve to be in the test selection frame.

Good post.

I think this is an area where the Wallabies need to find the right balance and to relate it back to the Reds on the weekend is probably the main area they struggled. The Reds are currently full of grafters and it didn't work. You need that balance.

We need to find the balance between agression/physicality, grafters and x-factor players.

Against the Lions I think we had too much x-factor in the backs and not enough physicality in the forwards.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Both Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) both had periods of very good play in the Lions series.

JOC (James O'Connor) played pretty well I thought, it's just that he was out of position. The try he scored in the 3rd test was outstanding, and he generally ran well when he had the chance. I believe he is still one of our best backs and should start on the wing.

Beale was pretty good in the first test, and had a few bright moments in the 2nd and 3rd test. Certainly showed more than a few other players (eg Tomane, Lealiifano).

Behaviour is obviously a problem, but I trust Link to sort them out.

Would you also prefer Beale as goal kicker over Christian? I, for one, would not.

I thought Joe Tomane nearly played himself out of the test team in the third test, but it was an uncharacteristic performance. On reflection, I think the team had lost heart and commitment in the last 20 minutes of that test. It has since come to light that the ARU was considering a change of coach well before that test, and that the assistant coaching staff had apparently lost confidence in Deans. It wouldn't surprise me to find out later on that the senior squad members had probably also lost confidence and maybe had a hand in forcing the ARU's hand. It was well documented that they had issues with the behaviour of JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale and reportedly were going to confront them about their carry ons after the series was done and dusted. Anyway, I stand by my opinion that neither JOC (James O'Connor) nor Beale deserve to be in the Wallabies at least for the rest of this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Robinson
Moore
Slipper
Horwill
Fardy
Kimlin
Hooper
Mowen
Genia
Cooper
Cummin
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Mogg

TPN
Sio
Alexander
MMM
Gill
White
Horne
To'omua

something like this might work for his first test in charge.

This is pretty much my preferred team as well. Pretty well all bases covered.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think its crucial that Link gives all squad members a clean slate, that means at the very least these two blokes should be in any training party. Right now however I'd struggle to find a space for either of them in the 15 unless a utility back was required on the bench. As big headed pricks as they are they are two seriously talented rugby players so Link should at least have a look to see if he can keep them on the straight and narrow

Link will have enough on his hands without parenting the likes of JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale. Let their respective S15 coaches (whomever they might be next year) pull them into line before wishing them onto a new Wallabies' coach.

ATM we have imo better options at 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 in HB, Christian, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Izzy and Moggy with reserve support from Horne, Tomane and soon to be Speight so that neither would necessarily fit in on form in any case. 10 looks to be our problematic area, but I would give QC (Quade Cooper) and To'omua the chance to make it theirs in the first place. I would then prefer Foley at 10 to either JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale in any case.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
How has everyone settled on Cummins? He's a slightly above average winger with below average hands at Soup level. Played a couple of decent Tests on last years EOYT but that's about it.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
His post match interviews, straight hard running and consistent tackling make him my preference.
It's the interviews do it I reckon. He runs straight and hard and then spills the ball. He's a pretty good player and a top bloke. There's no way he's one of the two best wingers in Australia.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Now you mention it, he does seem to spill the ball a bit in contact...

I still want to see him get a chance, but you're right in that they do have a lot of depth on the wing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How has everyone settled on Cummins? He's a slightly above average winger with below average hands at Soup level. Played a couple of decent Tests on last years EOYT but that's about it.

I think he's definitely an option for the time being, but I think it'll be hard to squeeze him in when Speight becomes eligible and you've got Folau, Mogg, and potentially JOC (James O'Connor) fighting it out.........

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
JOC (James O'Connor) or Tomane would be ahead of Cummins, surely. It won't matter come EOYT with Speight available.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Tomane hasn't done anything at test level to prove his test worth, Cummins has

JOC (James O'Connor) has, but is he prepared to be a winger?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
If he is not prepared to be a winger he can F Right off to oblivion should and I'm assuming would be the message. His only claim is for the wing, he showed with his try in the third test that he is a great ball runner and can find the line. I think a back three of Mogg, Folau and JOC (James O'Connor) has heaps of counter attacking potential. Moggs general field kicking has him at the back for mine

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Under McKenzie's coaching, I would pick JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing in a heartbeat.
My questionable one remains Slipper at THP.
The Wallabies only considered him as a LHP and has McKenzie only picked him as a THP for the Reds because he had no other decent THP option?
I think he and Robinson cover off LHP for the Wallabies well and we need both of them for 80 mins of test rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.