• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I see Jim McKay is gone for next year, Ewen's added him to his coaching staff as attack coach.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Is McKay gone from the Reds? I mean can he do both or are they mutually exclusive?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Scott Johnson, Tim Lane. There are more than a few good coaches around, some with significant international experience. I do think that assistant roles especially should be limited to Australian Coaches to develop the home grown talent.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Scott Johnson, Tim Lane. There are more than a few good coaches around, some with significant international experience. I do think that assistant roles especially should be limited to Australian Coaches to develop the home grown talent.

Scott won't leave Scotland for an assistants gig at the Reds.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
In some ways its probably a good thing that the new Reds coach has the say in selecting an assistant coach. If McKay had stayed on, he may have found it difficult to fall in behind Graham having had a strong relationship with Ewen.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A mate and I were talking about exactly him yesterday No4918. I Googled him though and apparently he was coaching Wests in the Bris Prem Comp this year but left April/May to head to Japan to coach. Would love to see him looking after our attack and RG looking after D still.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am no expert on matters such as these but i would assume coaches like Phil would have a clause in their contract which would allow them to leave if they got a 'better' position.

However i am unaware of what his current position is with the Panasonic Wild Knights......However would that be a workable relationship to have Phil come back as an assistant of a team he was once in charge of? Not to mention it would be a significant pay cut.

I believe the current Wests coach Pat Byron was skill/backs coach of Suntory under Eddie Jones. I assume he also would be a strong candidate.

Edit: But it in the world of rugby i don't believe in coincidence, and steve meehan just became available......so watch this space

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Tahs signing Jacques Potgeiter for two seasons as a marquee international interests me. Would be interesting to know if he was openly shopped to the other Australian provinces ie the Reds or whether Cheika head hunted him.

His style of play (aggressive, line bending runs, hard hitting tackles) seems to be exactly what we've discussed the Reds need in a backrower for next season, he plays a little wider too like Higginbotham did for us. Would have fit in well with the Reds imo.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Tahs signing Jacques Potgeiter for two seasons as a marquee international interests me. Would be interesting to know if he was openly shopped to the other Australian provinces ie the Reds or whether Cheika head hunted him.

His style of play (aggressive, line bending runs, hard hitting tackles) seems to be exactly what we've discussed the Reds need in a backrower for next season, he plays a little wider too like Higginbotham did for us. Would have fit in well with the Reds imo.

A very good point, but the Reds have to operate under a salary cap, unfortunately. :p

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A very good point, but the Reds have to operate under a salary cap, unfortunately. :p

I realise your post was tongue in cheek, but a marquee foreign player doesn't form part of the salary cap.

The Reds seem to have paid above the odds to keep some of their key players in the past couple of years if they can't afford to buy any new players.

It does seem surprising that they haven't signed any big names with Ioane leaving. Perhaps the Reds pay the lower end players in their squad more than the other franchises?

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
Some of the posts here suggesting JOC (James O'Connor) is over rated make my head spin. There is some serious hair cut hate going on.

So lets try a little Super Rugby 2013 trivia game.

How many players in the whole comp made 5 or more linebreaks this year?

65 (12%)

How many of those ran 650+ metres?

How many of those made 10 or more offloads?

How many of these made 3 or more try assists?

7(1%)

Who's left from the whole comp?

Bernard Foley, Tim Nanai-Williams, Drew Mitchell, Rene Ranger, Quade Cooper, Israel Folau, James O'Connor. And of those only one makes significantly more ground ball in hand, Folau.

People can argue O'Connor isn't a ten, but there is something seriously wrong if we can't find a way to get the best out of this guy in Super Rugby, be it at 12, 11, 14 or 15. Or frankly, 10.

As for Wallabies, madness not to play him, madness not to resolve whatever the issue is.

Hey mate,

Just wondering where you found these stats or where you compiled them? Some good stuff there I wouldn't mind tapping into for some of my own work!

Cheers

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Reds seem to have paid above the odds to keep some of their key players in the past couple of years if they can't afford to buy any new players.

It does seem surprising that they haven't signed any big names with Ioane leaving. Perhaps the Reds pay the lower end players in their squad more than the other franchises?

It was tongue in cheek.

Not sure how you are so sure what the Reds have paid their players tbh, but I bow to your professed knowledge of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.