• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
McCalman a fair way ahead of Shatz for the 8 spot. Hopefully Dennis does not have to play there.

When is the squad reduced? Am thinking Link will want to keep it around 30. Probably lose Harris, CFS, Foley, Ryan, Betham, Dennis & Schatz.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy, drop the trolling and chip on your shoulder, please,

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I'm just right about nearly everything and that includes QLD having poor front row stocks. I think you'll find its you and your mates in Red who constantly get out the violin and complain there are too many Waratahs in the squad despite finishing "in the bottom half of the table".

and actually try to give a real comment about Anae's performances this year rather than a pointless cheap shot.

Fair enough: Anae has improved quite a bit given more game time, but then when I first saw him he looked like a lazy funt who had not yet understood the requirements of professional rugby. Being on a lower level contract won't help that as the man has to make a living, but I hope he gets a chance to show his wares without the concerns of how to make ends meet.

Further comments - because I'm feeling generous: Daley is an ordinary LHP and always has been. If anyone feels I need to elaborate on that, then they should probably go watch league. Holmes had his day and was never really up to it beyond provincial level, despite having moments. That takes care of your other LHPs.

Slipper seems to be capable but hasn't gotten much better since everyone was amazed at his transition into senior rugby at a tender age playing 3. Kepu and Ryan are better THPs than him at scrum time, full stop.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with tight five coaching in QLD? I would have thought Link was the man to turn this around but its actually gone downhill since the days of Stiles and Pancho. It took a massive hit when Moore left (and his departure was understandable given the circumstances) and the less said about Simmons as a physical specimen, the better.

I find this kind of petty comment to be poor form.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about the comments blather on the main page over the Quade article.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Look I'm as leery of your one eyed fans as any here, and I am utterly over the serious noise levels generated any time someone dares to criticize Cooper, but I have to say that is trolling Pfitzy. Not up to your usual standards of frank but fair commentary!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We are looking bit thin at 8 which means that McCalman will probably be in the 23.
Is he enough cover for the second row as well? Probably not. Fardy or MMM starting at 6 will also be our second row cover allowing McCalman and Gill/Hooper to be on the bench.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Dave Dennis has played his best rugby for the Waratahs at the back of the scrum, he seems to play heavier whenever he's there. Crusaders game this year case in point.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm sure I've said it a hundred times here, but back row balance is key for mine. IMHO you need a genuine fetcher, an enforcer/clean out/rock hard defender and a perpetual motion machine ball runner (who can also lay a hit on around the fringes or a couple of passes from the ruck). One of the three also needs to be able to jump in the line out too.

I like Mowen at 6 and think he's done a good job at there. He can also play eight and maybe he should in TRC. Of the fetchers currently fit and available I rate Gill as the man, though Hooper offers a massive running threat. That leaves the last position and I think Benny Mac would be as good a candidate as anyone. He is a good solid ball runner, can tackle and has a big motor. My only worry is that I think he's too upright in contact, but that's something he can work on.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep I saw that last night.

While the cynic in me says "Of course Quade's attitude will be much better with his preferred coach in place" there is something really positive and (dare I say it) humble about his recent media work.

I hope it extends to his on field play. This is his time to prove all the critics wrong by running a tight ship, playing the percentages, but unleashing his brilliance when the moment arrives.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep I saw that last night.

While the cynic in me says "Of course Quade's attitude will be much better with his preferred coach in place" there is something really positive and (dare I say it) humble about his recent media work.

I hope it extends to his on field play. This is his time to prove all the critics wrong by running a tight ship, playing the percentages, but unleashing his brilliance when the moment arrives.

and he starts to beat defenders again, at his best he had spiders all over him - he hasn't been like that this year, his only breaks have generally been from dummies and goes - not giant steps and pace. That has let defenders line up his runners.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I wonder if anyone will ever thank Deans for having the balls to make QC (Quade Cooper) realise what he would be missing, a harsh lesson and hopefully it has gotten through.

I don't think that all (or even much) of the credit for his change in attitude can be attributed to Deans but if it was it would assume that Deans was motivated by a desire to help Quade. Unless Robbie releases a book one day, I don't think we'll ever know what his motivation was.

To remove the emotion generally surrounding discussions relating to Quade, we could consider whether Giteau comes back to Australia and kills it, should we thank Robbie for that also?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah clearly not picking him, and telling what he had to to to be picked, would have had no influence at all.

He has just been to the mountain and seen the light.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So i was trying to put together what I think should be the Starting XV for the first test and I was torn between Gill and Hooper when it came to who should be the starting 7.

Most Reds fans would say Gill and the Tahs/Brums Hooper.

We all know Hooper has the better running game and Gill is the breakdown gun and tackling machine.

But I still couldn’t split them. So I thought I would look at their stats to help me. I know that stats don’t tell the while story but they do help get a better picture.

As a Force fan I also looked at Alcock’s stats as I see him as the next cab off the ranks and to see how the Force sit in terms if their 7.

So here you go.

OSFL.jpg

Going of this i think i would start Gill who can get more turn overs and is more solid on defence and bring Hooper on later in the game to run riot.

I know im looking at these stats through Force glasses but Alcocks numbers are really impressive and he should at least get a look in in the near future.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It was striking during the Lions series that Australia wasn't able to control the breakdown or obtain much turnover ball. Compared to what we're used to with Pocock and Smith before him, it marked a real change. Hooper isn't strong enough or big enough to influence the game there -- and GaffaCHino's stats back that up. We need that on-ball ability to win and retain possession more than we do the linebreaks.

Gill to start, Hooper as a game-breaking sub.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the choice between Gill and Hooper depends a lot on the makeup of the rest of the backrow.

With Palu and Kimlin out we will potentially be looking for more ball running which raises Hooper's stakes. If we ended up with a starting backrow of Mowen, McCalman and Gill you'd really be struggling for strong ball running. Mowen is clearly the best of those three but that isn't the lynchpin of his game and I think he'd struggle if he was relied on heavily to do that.

If we picked someone like Fardy at 6 and Mowen at 8 then Gill makes a lot more sense.

Personally I think Gill will get the nod to start in the first test and I agree with this decision. He's been close enough and good enough this season that he deserves that opportunity.

When we eventually get Higginbotham back next year I can certainly see Gill fitting in well with him in a backrow combination because Higgers is such a good ball runner. If Pyle gets a crack in the second row it also makes it more logical to start Gill because Pyle is an excellent ball runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.