• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks v Springboks - Eden Park, Sept 14th 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SANZAR JUDICIAL RELEASE:
Bismarck du Plessis’ red card struck from the record
SANZAR Judicial Officer Terry Willis from Australia has removed a red card from the disciplinary record of Bismarck du Plessis. Du Plessis was issued with a red card after receiving two yellow cards during the match at the weekend between New Zealand and South Africa in The Rugby Championship.
The yellow cards were issued in the 17th and 42nd minutes of the match between New Zealand and South Africa at Eden Park in Auckland on 14 September 2013.
The SANZAR Judicial Hearing was held via teleconference on 16 September. Terry Willis granted an application made by Gerrie Swart who appeared on behalf of the player, for an expedited hearing. The hearing was originally fixed for the 17th of September. At the hearing, Terry Willis was assisted by former professional player David Croft from Australia.
Submissions were made on behalf of the player and the video footage was reviewed. The Judicial Officer found that the decision made by Referee Romain Poite to issue a yellow card as a result of the tackle by du Plessis on Dan Carter was wrong, as it was within the Laws of the Game.
No further sanction was imposed on the player, however the second yellow card remains on his record for the remainder of The Rugby Championship.

Some common sense from a frequently maligned body.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/therugby...bismarck-du-plessise28099-red-card-rescinded/

Doesn't give us back the contest that was missing for 30 minutes due to 15 vs 14 rugby.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
BUR7qxRCQAA2dp_.jpg

Wonder if Danny Care put on a show after this one...

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Bismarck got fucked with first yellow, no doubt. Brutal test match, not sure why but I smiled when I watched the Boks arse fuck us in the first scrum - thing of beauty, glad we recovered!

We are still deadly in the counter attack, BdP aside, that's why we won. Although I think we would have won anyway.

Gnostic - cool rant, haters hate. Ever thought about writing for the British press?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
People are not saying NZ won because of xxxxxxx IE the referee. What they are trying to point out is why officials have a higher tolerant level for NZ than most teams. It really spoils games and I am sure NZ supporters would have felt the same if they were on the other end.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
We are still deadly in the counter attack, BdP aside, that's why we won. Although I think we would have won anyway.

Mr, our defense was not up to it on the night and that cost us, esp against the counter-attack. The missing man would have been a factor here, but so too were missed tackles.
You are right, you probably would have won on the night, but what irks me is that we will never know and that rankles me. I was really looking forward to the game and the ref sucked the jam out of it for me.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Pixel. It was an elbow to the throat/neck/collarbone area, not a forearm.

Bloody stupid considering he already had one yellow. Bismarck is a great player, but a few of his brain are in his biceps sometimes.

On a different note, Nonu's brain-dead shoulder charges are going to cost the ABs one day.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was going to post almost same Frank, and I agree on Nonu, although he can play bloody good rugby, I wonder if it maybe time to let him move offshore. It amazes me that some bloody good players ruin their whole reputation through brain dead acts like his, we have seen them for years, most people tend to remember the likes of Bakkies Botha etc not because of the great player he was, but for the odd stupid act on field, Nonu will probably be same and will end up joining that club.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
People are not saying NZ won because of xxxxxxx IE the referee. What they are trying to point out is why officials have a higher tolerant level for NZ than most teams. It really spoils games and I am sure NZ supporters would have felt the same if they were on the other end.

Yeah, well what the rest of you guys forget is that we were at the end of aa pretty woeful refereeing performance in 2007. We didn't get an apology, we didn't get a re-match and we got booted from an event that only come round every 4 years for our worst ever result at a RWC. In fact, the one time we did get an apology from the IRB for a refereeing performance, the rest of the world called it a disgrace and started their tin-foil hat conspiracies.

But was there any sympathy or understanding from any other rugby player nation in the world when we got screwed? Not a drop. Instead we got called chokers, we were told we should have played smarter, should have gone for the drop goal, shouldn't have taken on the rotation policy, were told that the ref wasn't actually wrong and were basically left with the '4 more years boys' taunt once again.

So Rassie, we have been on the other end. Probably most countries in the world have. Samoa and Fiji have been dicked a couple of times on the big stage as well. Where are their apologies?! In all honesty, Saffers can suck it up and deal with it just like we've all had to before. That's sport....get over it.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
That's sport..get over it.

Agree completely. It goes down in the history of the contests between the two countries. When we are older (already there) we will sip our Horlicks in the old folks home and talk about the great games and this will be one on them. It is brilliant as it adds to the theater of the rivallry

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't see the game and frickin recording failed while I was away. Maybe a good thing.

My only conclusion is that we seem to find new ways of losing in NZ all the time. First yellow sounds like it was totally unlucky but the refs are screwing up quite a bit lately so it's no real surprise. Poite seems to be a bit whistle happy from what I have seen.

Bismarck will lose his head at least a couple of times a season. Part of the package unfortunately. I don't know if anything can be done. He is the one to blame though, not Poite.

Note to HM. If Bismarck gets a yellow in future, yank him. We have the world's second best hooker on the bench.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Note to HM. If Bismarck gets a yellow in future, yank him. We have the world's second best hooker on the bench.

Agree with the sentiment Blue, but if you had seen the way Bismarck had been playing and the impact he was having while on the field, your opinion might differ slightly.

He was everywhere and IMO (backed up by NZ commentary) he was the best player on the field while he was on.

Unfortunately he is prone to the odd brain explosion. There was no way in the world HM would have yanked him after his first YC, firstly because it was a ridiculous decision and secondly because of the impact he was having.

There is no doubt that Strauss is a very good hooker, but Bismarck in his prime is clearly a step above.

The other unfortunate thing is that Alberts had to be sacrificed while Bismarck was in the bin, so the physicality that we lost with both Bismarck and Alberts sitting on the sidelines was certainly noticeable.

M

Muttonbird

Bismarck will lose his head at least a couple of times a season. Part of the package unfortunately. I don't know if anything can be done. He is the one to blame though, not Poite.
Yeah, well said Blue. Pretty much the first Springbok fan I've seen in the aftermath of this match to acknowledge du Plessis has a discipline problem from time to time.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was going to post almost same Frank, and I agree on Nonu, although he can play bloody good rugby, I wonder if it maybe time to let him move offshore. It amazes me that some bloody good players ruin their whole reputation through brain dead acts like his, we have seen them for years, most people tend to remember the likes of Bakkies Botha etc not because of the great player he was, but for the odd stupid act on field, Nonu will probably be same and will end up joining that club.
The thing that strikes me, is that I saw a few apologists for Nonu (not here) for his shoulder charge on Slipper a few weeks ago, claiming he had a "stinger" and couldn't raise his arms properly. It went unsanctioned.
This, to my eyes looked exactly the same. It's like a default option for him in some situations.
I agree, he will end up being remembered too much for paucity of brain cells, and not enough for being the terrific player that he is.

M

Muttonbird

Mutton honestly there was nothing dangerous in that one. The crowd got to the ref. Pretty sure if Battleship had tackled Cooper the same crowd would have cheered him. He would have been a national hero in NZ.
I hear what you're saying about the crowd PB. It must be intimidating out there and only the very best refs can shut the home fans out.

Fact is though, the tackle was dangerous as evidenced by the injury to Carter. I accept that is rugby and some hard, legal tackles are dangerous and this one was just that, blindside, shoulder first, T-Rex arms (ie, not really used), and driving to ground. Not illegal, but certainly dangerous.

BdP was out for the glory hit rather than the clean turnover and that's dumb rugby. Now two players have suffered.

The point I was making earlier was that he knew he was on a yellow rightly or wrongly but still went ahead and produced a piece of dangerous play by raising his elbow.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While one of my "favourite" NZers, Richard Loe churns out some good stuff in his articles, I somehow will forever see Richard the Thug. As much as I try, I can not put the Carozza nose reconstruction and the Cooper eye gouge aside. There was no justifiable reason for those rather cowardly assaults.

With Nonu, when he plays within the rules he is an impressive player. There is no need for him to play like a mungo, and it is unfortunate for him, Bakkies, and Loe, that they will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

In his younger days, I can't seem to recall any/many brain farts from him. Is it an issue, as happens with many of us as we age and we lose a pace or two of speed, that he is resorting to a bit of the darker side of footy to maintain his "reputation" of being a hard man.

With 5 YC's this season it seems that there is a bit of a correlation between age, being unwanted by Soup franchises, and discipline (poor/lazy skills execution) problems on the field.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Read this. It's spot on accurate, for once.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11125923

I don't want to get into a whose been shafted the most convo as it does the game, and the refs a disservice.

Reality is, if you are at home, you are on top, you have 60k fans behind you, the ref is likely to be a bit behind you - it happens everywhere. Barnes original piece was typical crap from the one eyed British "media", whose sole purpose is to generate hype about their stodgy unoriginal weather bashed game if rugby and piss on pretty much so anything worth watching.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I hear what you're saying about the crowd PB. It must be intimidating out there and only the very best refs can shut the home fans out.

Fact is though, the tackle was dangerous as evidenced by the injury to Carter. I accept that is rugby and some hard, legal tackles are dangerous and this one was just that, blindside, shoulder first, T-Rex arms (ie, not really used), and driving to ground. Not illegal, but certainly dangerous.

BdP was out for the glory hit rather than the clean turnover and that's dumb rugby. Now two players have suffered.

The point I was making earlier was that he knew he was on a yellow rightly or wrongly but still went ahead and produced a piece of dangerous play by raising his elbow.

To say BdP was going for glory and not going for turn-over ball is simply false. If the play hadn't been stopped and he hadn't been shown the YC, the Boks would have had possession from Carter's fumble when he hit the ground. So what if it was shoulder-first?!? That's a great tackle!! I'm not sure what you think should be first if it's not the shoulder?

Agree that he was silly (maybe just unlucky) with the 2nd YC but I don't think we should be singling this tackle out as 'dangerous' if we admit that it was legal. This is, actually, a dangerous game and those are the risks you take when you step out on the field. Dan Carter understands and accepts that and so should we.

Status
Not open for further replies.