• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby All Code Program - Narrabeen Sports High

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
NARRABEEN Sports High will soon launch a revolutionary Rugby All Code program for 2013..
.. Fully endorsed by the Australian Rugby Union and the Australian Rugby League, students in years 7 to 10 will be required to trial to secure a spot in the program later this month.. rugby sevens is the projected focus for terms one and four, with rugby league in terms two and three.

http://origin.manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/program-includes-all-codes/

Mark Gerrard, Josh Valentine and Steve Menzies attended Narrabeen Sports High.

Interesting idea. As a summer sport it allows RL boys to play 7s. I guess if you're good you'll go to Manly (Sea Eagles), if you are really good you'll go to the Olympics!

Who will they play against? Are other schools starting up similar programs?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
The competition would be restricted. They could enter The Arrive alive type league competitions. The northern beaches schools (played sometime Monday to Friday) rugby league competition has been inactive for years.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
TBH it would be great for GPS and CAS to have more of a focus on sevens, touch, rugby league and alternatives to union that still involve union skills especially outside of winter.
For one it would make there union team stronger, it would give the students a bit more value given the shitload of cash spent on school fees and tbh it would give them a bit more depth into the sporting world as well as more job opportunities.

Never going to happen though, GPS and CAS still looks down its nose at league and is more likely to take on AFL.... lol

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That's not as silly as it seems. A few years ago my nephew who was playing in an A's team at Joeys a few years ago, played a few games of Aussies Rules for Joeys mid week.

For all I know they still do it.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Possibly an interesting side-line to this proposal, is the construction of what may well be the first "officially IRB approved" synthetic sports surface, to allow Rugby Union to be played on it at Narrabeen Sports High.

At the present time, it would appear that most Councils, sports/rugby administration bodies etc have buried their collective heads in the sand regarding this - and if the info is correct, there is not one "approved" synthetic surface currently being used out there in club rugby land (not so sure about some of the private schools , though.)

Covering of pesky cricket wickets durng winter has been a perrenial pain in the back side for most clubs using Council grounds, I suspect.

It will be interesting to see if it gets the IRB seal of approval ( thrugh the appropraite testing & accreditation being signed off buy the ARU ???)

Congrats to Narrabeen Sports High and Pittwater Council for at least having a crack at this. Lets hope it works out ok !
Cheers
The Hound

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Possibly an interesting side-line to this proposal, is the construction of what may well be the first "officially IRB approved" synthetic sports surface, to allow Rugby Union to be played on it at Narrabeen Sports High.

At the present time, it would appear that most Councils, sports/rugby administration bodies etc have buried their collective heads in the sand regarding this - and if the info is correct, there is not one "approved" synthetic surface currently being used out there in club rugby land (not so sure about some of the private schools , though.)

Covering of pesky cricket wickets durng winter has been a perrenial pain in the back side for most clubs using Council grounds, I suspect.

It will be interesting to see if it gets the IRB seal of approval ( thrugh the appropraite testing & accreditation being signed off buy the ARU ???)

Congrats to Narrabeen Sports High and Pittwater Council for at least having a crack at this. Lets hope it works out ok !
Cheers
The Hound

Any idea how this synthetic pitch has performed?

Was talking to someone the other day and they were of the opinion that the whole Selective Sports High Schools concept has not worked (apart from Westfield SHS and to a less degree Hills SHS). They were from within the SHS system.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member

Not sure how they get that, I've played on an IRB approved synthetic pitch in Thailand. I know they have them in Japan and I know of at least one used in the English premiership (Saracens I believe).

Status
Not open for further replies.