• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs. England, Twickenham, 2nd November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I expect a heavy workrate from our locks...

His completion rate is higher because he attempts less tackles:

Simmons: 48/53 (91%) 7 tests (518mins)
Horwill: 34/49 (69%) 5 tests (365mins)
Fardy 64/71 (90%) 5 tests (360 mins) *only played 9 mins in Bled I
Hooper 70/89 (79%) 7 tests (524 mins)
Mowen 65/83 (78%) 7 tests (533 mins)

I suggest you add Timani's tackle stats. They are, well, interesting viewing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They are.......

11/18 (61%) 4 tests off the bench (74 mins)

We'd probably be getting more out of him than Horwill if he was starting.........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I suggest you add Timani's tackle stats. They are, well, interesting viewing.

From what I can gather, he played 74 minutes across 4 tests, made 11 tackles and missed 7 for a 61% success rate.

The success rate is low, but it is interesting that he is attempting a tackle every 4.1 minutes on the field (and making one every 6.7 minutes).

Compare that to Simmons who attempted one every 9.7 minutes and made one every 10.8 minutes.

Horwill attempted one every 7.4 minutes and made one every 10.7 minutes.

Fardy attempted one every 5 minutes and made one every 5.6 minutes (amazing stats).

Hooper attempted one every 5.9 minutes and mae one every 7.5 minutes.

Mowen attempted one every 6.4 minutes and made one every 8.2 minutes.

From that I think you could infer that Timani is being sent out there with the aim of trying to smash people as often as possible and in that process is missing plenty of tackles.

Simmons success rate is extremely high but he is attempting tackles infrequently compared to his peers. This would suggest to me that he is very good at making the tackles that come his way but isn't going looking to do extra defensive work.

Any way you slice it, Horwill's stats are terrible both in workload and success rate.

To add in another stat, rugbystats has Timani being the first to the ruck 9 times in his 78 minutes played. I am not going to sum up all the other players but that strikes me as a very high rate for his minutes played.

I in no way think Timani has been excellent when he has come off the bench. I think he has fulfilled a role though. Assuming he is starting this weekend it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I assume that if Simmons is gone the only decent replacement we have that is not in team rehab is Sam Carter. Probably not as good in the lineout as Simmons but you would think he's close in most stats and way in front on workrate/effectiveness. But can we afford to send him over? We are playing one more game than NZ and have taken less squad members, probably as an economy measure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I assume that if Simmons is gone the only decent replacement we have that is not in team rehab is Sam Carter. Probably not as good in the lineout as Simmons but you would think he's close in most stats and way in front on workrate/effectiveness. But can we afford to send him over? We are playing one more game than NZ and have taken less squad members, probably as an economy measure.

I doubt they'll send over a replacement at this stage. They're saying that Simmons is also doubtful for the Italy game but should be right after that.

I imagine they'll make do with Horwill, Timani and Douglas for the first two tests if they have to and play things by ear after that.

They also have the option of playing Fardy as a lock so I can't imagine they'll be calling up Sam Carter (or anyone else for that matter).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Any way you slice it, Horwill's stats are terrible both in workload and success rate.

Yup. Horwill needs a rest, either to recover or get a fire put under him.

Douglas' stats were similar too in his starts. Douglas has been a bit disappointing this year after his great year last year.

That being said, I would've dropped Horwill to start Douglas, with either Horwill or Timani off the bench.

Douglas is more of a like for like replacement with Horwill. Douglas has had a rest and should be raring to go for another shot.

To add in another stat, rugbystats has Timani being the first to the ruck 9 times in his 78 minutes played. I am not going to sum up all the other players but that strikes me as a very high rate for his minutes played.

I in no way think Timani has been excellent when he has come off the bench. I think he has fulfilled a role though. Assuming he is starting this weekend it will be interesting to see how he goes.

I don't mind Timani off the bench. Timani can bring some impact, which is what you want from your bench players. I don't think he's a starting test player due to his limitations - namely he's too easily exploited on defence, his ruck technique is appalling, and he's not capable in the lineout.

I'd also like to see Timani use his bulk in his ball carrying more too. People should be afraid to tackle him, but he struggles to win his contact with the ball in hand - he has no problem putting on a huge hit, so I don't see why he doesn't try to flatten people on offence as well.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
James Horwill stripped of all captaincy duties. Mowen captain and Quade vice.

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. James Horwill
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben Mowen (c)
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Coopr
11. Nick Cummins
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridriani
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Israel Folau

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Benn Robinson
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Kane Douglas
20. Ben McCalman
21. Nic White
22. Christian Lealiifano
23. Bernard Foley

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
From what I can gather, he played 74 minutes across 4 tests, made 11 tackles and missed 7 for a 61% success rate.

The success rate is low, but it is interesting that he is attempting a tackle every 4.1 minutes on the field (and making one every 6.7 minutes).

Compare that to Simmons who attempted one every 9.7 minutes and made one every 10.8 minutes.

Horwill attempted one every 7.4 minutes and made one every 10.7 minutes.

Fardy attempted one every 5 minutes and made one every 5.6 minutes (amazing stats).

Hooper attempted one every 5.9 minutes and mae one every 7.5 minutes.

Mowen attempted one every 6.4 minutes and made one every 8.2 minutes.

From that I think you could infer that Timani is being sent out there with the aim of trying to smash people as often as possible and in that process is missing plenty of tackles.

Simmons success rate is extremely high but he is attempting tackles infrequently compared to his peers. This would suggest to me that he is very good at making the tackles that come his way but isn't going looking to do extra defensive work.

That is one way to break down the stats but what it doesn't account for is the game conditions. Reserve players come on as fresh legs among tiring players and we compare that to players who started the game. This is the problem with stats as without proper context they are just numbers. I'm not not talking about player x or y but in general.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
That is one way to break down the stats but what it doesn't account for is the game conditions. Reserve players come on as fresh legs among tiring players and we compare that to players who started the game. This is the problem with stats as without proper context they are just numbers. I'm not not talking about player x or y but in general.

Absolutely. I think this is one reason why Timani (or whoever, really) often looks great coming off the bench, but then looks "lazy" when given a start. It's just harder to have the same frequency of impact.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This is a really interesting team:
  1. Link is not afraid to take on a hard decision. Big Kev is going to be one very angry man on Saturday evening. Properly directed, that could be a really good thing.
  2. Our defensive lineouts with Kev, Mowen and Fardy jumping are not going to be very threatening. Likely we won't compete much till the ball hits the deck.
  3. As a corollary, our scrum with Kev and Timani pushing should have a very good day without Corbisiero and Parling. Alexander may get his redemption day.
  4. The other very contentious decision is Tomane over Cummins. Either Tomane is not yet completely recovered or Link did not rate Tomane's Argentinian adventure as highly as the keyboard warriors.
  5. With no outside back on the bench we need to pray the injury gods don't bite. One winger down and Folau will be out to pasture and Foley to 15, which is bad enough. Two wingers down and it gets very ugly. This is what happens when you have one 10 in the run-on and two on the bench!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Glad to see To'omua gets to keep the 12 jersey. It's now his to win or lose on his own merit.

Would have preferred Folau at 11, Foley at 15, Cummins to the bench in the backs with Robinson and Kepu as the starting props too, but I'm pretty happy with this team.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Glad to see To'omua gets to keep the 12 jersey. It's now his to win or lose on his own merit.

Would have preferred Folau at 11, Foley at 15, Cummins to the bench in the backs with Robinson and Kepu as the starting props too, but I'm pretty happy with this team.

We saw what happened when Folau was put on a wing in Bledisloe 1. He was totally neutered by NZ simply because they directed all their attack down the other wing, despite having one of their stars (Savea) marking him. Folau needs to be closer in working off Coopers hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.