• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kooga now BLK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So I haven't been able to find any information aside from a Rebels' tweet.........

But apparently Kooga has rebranded as BLK (in Australia/NZ).

I assume this is not on all jerseys as the Wallabies still cary 'Kooga'?

Anyways, an example:

407578-121117s-clyde-rathbone.jpg

T

TOCC

Yes the owners of Kooga have started BLK, it even uses the same office.
But all Kooga products aren't been rebranded as BLK... not yet anyway..
Its likely to do with the licensing of the Kooga brand since its in partnership/license with Kooga UK..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So far the Brumbies and Rebels have the BLK logo, and I assume the Reds and the Force will follow suit?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
KooGa are going to be changing most - if not all - of the products they can sell overseas, to BLK. It's because they don't own the KooGa brand in NZ.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
So there are three "brands"=> KooGa, BLK and Seviin. Sounds like a bit of brand dilution there. I can't recall any other jersey supplier doing this.

Any reason why they don't own the brand name internationally?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's owned in Australia under a licence from the UK company. The SeVIIn brand is targeted solely at the 7's market and is probably due in part to not owning the Kooga brand internationally. Now that Kooga Aust is a successful business they probably want to own their brand internationally.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Kooga UK is much bigger and have been around much longer as well as Kooga Australia being successful on their own, still not a great rebrand if they do it fully.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This was in the Fiji Sun. Wouldn't be surprised if Wallabies and Reds eventually become BLK too as it seems to be a Kooga Aus v Kooga UK dispute.

http://www.fijisun.com.fj/2012/10/21/kooga-company-plans-to-manufacture-here-in-fiji/

KooGa, Seviin and BLK
Mr Brant said that people would have noted a change on the brand logo on Digicel Sevens and Flying Fijians rugby jerseys.
“The Fijian people would have seen the seven’s team wearing the garment with seviin on it while the Flying Fijians wearing a garment which has BLK on it. This has caused a lot of confusion in the marketplace regarding this. We got asked thousands of times as to what is going on.
“The Brant family owns KooGa in Australia. However, we don’t own the KooGa brand for the Northern Hemisphere.
“We were building the brand for them in England and they were not doing anything. So, we thought to buy the brand for our regions.
“There were seven teams in the World Cup who wore KooGa and all from us, none from the Northern Hemisphere.
“We were doing all the work but they were benefiting from it. On their website, they had all our teams on it and we could not do anything about it.
“All these guys were buying products and paid us royalties but we were hardly getting anything in return. KooGa England did not allow us to distribute it ourselves.
“So we decided to launch seviin by KooGa Australia and BLK by KooGa Australia. Everything else is the same and the quality is the best around but that is the only difference,” he said.
Mr Brant flies out of Fiji today and will be back later in the month for further talks regarding the factory.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yes it was. They will wear it for the tour and switch to Asics next year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a shame the ARU can't contract Adidas to do the job.........

The new French jersey:

BYUTw-mCcAAahi5.jpg:large

T

TOCC

It helps that the French don't have a sponsor on their jersey

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They could be sponsored by "Vagisil" and it would still be more visually appealing than anything the Wallabies have run out in for the past 7 years.........

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes it was. They will wear it for the tour and switch to Asics next year.

I thought Asics were only going to be the boots/shoe sponser for the ARU? I haven't actually seen anyone in a jersey by them before...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Asics were only going to be the boots/shoe sponser for the ARU? I haven't actually seen anyone in a jersey by them before.

Nah, they'll be the new jersey supplier.........

Apparently they'll be doing the Boks too?

They already do Castres, as well as the Penrith Panthers in the NRL..........

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ah true, well will be interesting to see the new design.

Getting back to the Kooga to BLK chat - i'm assuming that means all club and school sides who are sponsered by Kooga will be getting the rebranding then if they currently hold a contract? I know some of the QLD schools rep sides have already been given the BLK gear as well.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
From a marketing perspective, why the rebrand in the first place? As a relatively new player in the sporting merchandise business, it has probably taken them this long to cut through as a distinctive brand - yet now they want to start again with something as unidentifiable as 'BLK'?

Status
Not open for further replies.