• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Wallabies, Cardiff, Nov 30 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We already know that one. Kiwis can't spell. Or pronounce their vowels properly. :)

Have you seen the spelling of some of the Welsh (Cymru) towns?

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch makes Waikickamoocow easy to say/spell/pronounce.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I understand how Francais is anglicised to France, Espana to Spain, Italia to Italy, Eire (land) to Ireland, but HTF does Cymru sound anything like Wales?
Wales - one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; during Roman times the region was known as Cambria
Cambria, Cymru
Sealyham terrier, Sealyham - a wire-haired terrier with short legs that was first bred in Sealyham- ALSO KNOWN AS A HOOKER

Annwfn, Annwn - (Welsh mythology) the other world; land of fairies-THE BACKLINE

Cymric, Welsh - a Celtic language of Wales-USUALLY SUNG IN PUBS AND COALMINES

Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom-PARTICULARLY AROUND THE OLYMPICS ALTHOUGH ANY OTHER TIME ITS JUST ENGLAND V EVERYONE ELSE

Aberdare - a mining town in southern Wales-WHERE PROPS COME FROM

Bangor - a university town in northwestern Wales on the Menai Strait WHERE BACKS COME FROM

Cardiff - the capital and largest city of Wales WHERE THEY ALL MEET TO PLAY

Newport - a port city in southeastern Wales WHERE THEY ALL GO AFTERWARDS TO CELEBRATE

Sealyham - a village in southwestern Wales where the Sealyham terrier was first bred AH HA WHERE HOOKERS COME FROM

Swansea - a port city in southern Wales on an inlet of the Bristol Channel-SEE NEWPORT

Anglesea, Anglesea Island, Anglesey, Anglesey Island, Mona - an island to the northwest of Wales WHERE THE SIDE IS BANISHED TO AFTER PUSHOVER TRIES

Menai Strait - a strait in northern Wales between Anglesey Island and the mainland WHERE THE PROPS ARE DROPPED INTO AFTER THE PUSHOVER TRIES

River Severn, Severn, Severn River - a river in England and Wales flowing into the Bristol Channel; the longest river in Great Britain HOW THE POMS GET HOME WHEN THEY LOSE

Amaethon - the farmer god; ancient god of agriculture-GOD OF LOCKS

Arawn - Celtic deity who was the lord of Annwfn (the other world or the land of fairies) JPR WILLIAMS

Arianrhod, Arianrod - Celtic goddess famous for her beauty; mother of Dylan MRS WILLIAMS

Don - Celtic goddess; mother of Gwydion and Arianrhod; corresponds to Irish Danu GRANNY WILLIAMS

Dylan - Celtic god of the waves; son of Arianrhod-SHANE WILLIAMS

Gwyn - Celtic underworld god LAST NAME NICHOLLS

Llew Llaw Gyffes - son of Gwydion and Arianrhod; supported by magic of Gwydion; cursed by Arianrhod TOO HARD BUT LAST NAME WILLIAMS

LLud - a Celtic warrior god GARETH EDWARDS KNOWN AS LLUD GARETH OR LORD IN ENGLISH

Llyr - Celtic deity who was the father of Manawydan; corresponds to Irish Lir MR ROWLANDS

Manawydan, Manawyddan - Celtic sea god; son of Llyr SHOULD READ C GOD AS IN CLIVE

Cymry, Welsh, Welshman, Cambrian - a native or resident of Wales ALSO KNOWN AS TAFFY

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Actually CYMRU stands for the Cym Rugby Union Club from the deep valleys of northern Wales.
The club let Wales Rugby borrow the name after they lost 6 times consecutively to the Wallabies.:(

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have you seen the spelling of some of the Welsh (Cymru) towns?

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch makes Waikickamoocow easy to say/spell/pronounce.
Da iawn huw. But they call it llanfair p g up in gogland. Try llwchwr. The anglicised loughor doesn't do it justice

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Picking up where this thread started. I just watched the Ireland nz game and a couple of things struck me. One is that the kiwi commentators were the least one eyed I've ever heard. Sounded like they actually enjoyed rugby spectacle that was unfolding.Second is it strikes me that our nige has 'coincidentally' officiated some of the most exciting games this year. Whilst some might suggest he should be renamed Nigel eoins or o'wens for his ruck management for the first time ever I actually regret not being able to have welsh ref

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Reds site has Wallabies named as:

1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds - 48 caps)
2. Stephen Moore (ACT Brumbies - 90 caps)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs - 37 caps)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds - 36 caps)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds - 47 caps)
6. Scott Fardy (ACT Brumbies - 9 caps)
7. Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs - 27 caps)
8. Ben Mowen (c - ACT Brumbies - 14 caps)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds - 54 caps)
10. Quade Cooper (vc - Queensland Reds - 49 caps)
11. Nick Cummins (Western Force – 11 caps)
12. Christian Leali'ifano (ACT Brumbies - 12 caps)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs – 90 caps)
14. Joe Tomane (ACT Brumbies - 8 caps)
15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs - 14 caps)

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs – 45 caps)
17. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs – 65 caps)
18. Ben Alexander (ACT Brumbies - 61 caps)
19. Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs – 13 caps)
20. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs – 17 caps)
21. Nic White (ACT Brumbies - 10 caps)
22. Mike Harris – Queensland Reds – 9 caps)
23. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs - 3 caps)

T

Tip

The only problem I have with this Lineup is both Harris & Foley on the bench. They're both too similar players which leaves us with no Wing cover. Surely dropping either Harris or Foley and promoting Betham would have been the best solution!?

Otherwise why the fuck is the ARU wasting 5k on air fares to get him over there in such a time of financial difficulty!?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reds site has Wallabies named as:

1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds - 48 caps)
2. Stephen Moore (ACT Brumbies - 90 caps)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs - 37 caps)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds - 36 caps)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds - 47 caps)
6. Scott Fardy (ACT Brumbies - 9 caps)
7. Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs - 27 caps)
8. Ben Mowen (c - ACT Brumbies - 14 caps)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds - 54 caps)
10. Quade Cooper (vc - Queensland Reds - 49 caps)
11. Nick Cummins (Western Force – 11 caps)
12. Christian Leali'ifano (ACT Brumbies - 12 caps)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs – 90 caps)
14. Joe Tomane (ACT Brumbies - 8 caps)
15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs - 14 caps)

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs – 45 caps)
17. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs – 65 caps)
18. Ben Alexander (ACT Brumbies - 61 caps)
19. Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs – 13 caps)
20. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs – 17 caps)
21. Nic White (ACT Brumbies - 10 caps)
22. Mike Harris – Queensland Reds – 9 caps)
23. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs - 3 caps)
Fainga'a finally dropped. Damnit! Team looks good. Bench not so hot IMO

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
No massive qualms with the team.

I thought Harris was better than Lelo last week, but it's a pretty even decision.

I also think Sita is great for that bench role, but Douglas is certainly a more traditional player who's got plenty of years left in Wallaby colours and I want to see him succeed.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Bit sorry for CFS, he did nothing wrong, but he's probably down the pecking order. Lilo had one bad game, I think as a result of playing out of position, but deserves his spot in the starting team.

Nice to see the forward pack has stayed much the same for the last few matches. I was starting to get over the constant changes in position. Settle your pack, settle your platform for the pretty boys to get the meat.

Looking forward to this match :)

Status
Not open for further replies.