• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round Three: Rebels v Cheetahs, Friday 28 Feb, AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Higgers is reminding me of Sergio Parisse.

Very much a ball playing back rower, who has a wide variety of skills (kick, passing, ball playing), brilliant in the line out, good hands at the scrum, good footwork and speed when ball running, still does the tough stuff.

Actually, that sounds exactly like Parisse. Hopefully Scotty can reach that level, which I think he will very soon.

T

tranquility

Higgers is reminding me of Sergio Parisse.

Very much a ball playing back rower, who has a wide variety of skills (kick, passing, ball playing), brilliant in the line out, good hands at the scrum, good footwork and speed when ball running, still does the tough stuff.

Actually, that sounds exactly like Parisse. Hopefully Scotty can reach that level, which I think he will very soon.

Imagine how good Parisse would have been playing for us!

T

tranquility

Tell us more, I'd be interested to hear about his origins.

I don't know too much. He's from the bush, was a PE teacher and everyone knew him as dumper, although no-one knew why. Would coach the first XV and Easts premier side simultaneously, that's alot of rugby sessions in a week!

He coached one of the best Churchie rugby sides in history, which had Karmichael Hunt at fullback and about another four or five Australian schoolboys, which won the premiership in 03'.

Headed over to Ireland not long after that. That is about as much as I can tell ya.

Speaking about ex-pat coach, the next one we should look to bring home is Matt Taylor. He might not be quite ready to be a Super head coach, but he will be a beauty.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
That said, we really look like we have 4 competitive teams this year. No offense to Force supporters, but after the Lions start the Force don't really have any opposition in terms of who is expected to come last. And they probably will. But this is the first year that I can envisage 4 Australian teams in the top 9. I don't know that that has ever been achieved by any country, included NZ.

Here's to holding my breath and hoping we do.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The good news for the Wallabies is Higginbum. Quite an outing for the first game of the season.

M

Moono75

That said, we really look like we have 4 competitive teams this year. No offense to Force supporters, but after the Lions start the Force don't really have any opposition in terms of who is expected to come last. And they probably will. But this is the first year that I can envisage 4 Australian teams in the top 9. I don't know that that has ever been achieved by any country, included NZ.

Here's to holding my breath and hoping we do.

Blah Blah Blah. 1 game in. Lets wait till every team has 6 or 7 games under their belts before we starting making any outlandish calls.

Yes well done to the Rebels for starting on a positive note and well played.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Well, I'm possibly being optimistic. But if we don't get four in the top nine I'll claim getting four in the top ten or eleven as close calls. And if that doesn't work out, at worst case, I'm sure we'll get at least four in the top fourteen.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well done Rebels, a great all-round display of rugby as it is meant to be played. Keep the game moving, be positive, always look to score:).

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good game by the rebels.

Some really good lead up work in some of those tries. There'll be more than a few teams shocked by the rebels this year if they keep up the hard team work they have obviously put in.

Awesome stuff.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyone explain the cheetahs try? The first one. Why no obstruction. Maul but no defenders attached so not a maul?

Haven't seen the video, but remember that a maul forms when the ball carrier is off the ground with an attacker and a defender bound to him. If the defender(s) drop off, it is STILL a maul.

A maul can only finish when it stops moving under the referee's instruction to use it, or goes to ground, or the ball emerges.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Haven't seen the video, but remember that a maul forms when the ball carrier is off the ground with an attacker and a defender bound to him. If the defender(s) drop off, it is STILL a maul.

A maul can only finish when it stops moving under the referee's instruction to use it, or goes to ground, or the ball emerges.

Three Cheetahs broke off the back of the maul when it was turning with Rebels players still bound to the other Cheetahs players who had been the front of the original maul.

I thought it was a penalty and was surprised the commentators didn't mention it.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Three Cheetahs broke off the back of the maul when it was turning with Rebels players still bound to the other Cheetahs players who had been the front of the original maul.

I thought it was a penalty and was surprised the commentators didn't mention it.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
Truck and trailer blueprint that was.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Looks like the poo Cheetahs team of old is back.

The miss Ebersohn at 12 BIG TIME. Looks like without him there is zero organisation in attack and defense.

Last year the Cheetahs beat team up at the breakdown. Three games into this season they are playing like a bunch of pansies.

Reactions: Ash

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I mentioned in the game thread that last weak the Cheetahs backs, le Roux aside, were shocking. Particularly Goosen and his kicking. Their loosies, and some of their pack, though, we good and counter rucked very well, turning some crap kicks good. This week not only did the backs suck (in particular Goosen again), but the forwards decided to join them.

Not good signs for the Cheetahs.

Wonder if they'll lose one of their props for an extended time as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.