• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks v Reds Rnd 5 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Our Reds displayed very similar flaws to numerous 2013 games: poor handling at crucial moments coupled with generally second rate forwards strength, intensity and accuracy. Many moments of good back line attack eradicated with the aforementioned unfixed flaws.

We're not improving our selections and technical skills rapidly enough to compete adequately with teams that have.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And recruitment. Need more power at 3, 6/8, 12/13, 15.
Don't you lot have the players that meet those requirements in your EPS?
6/8 - Browning, Ah Wong? and Lolo Fakaosilea
12/13 - Kerevi

Reds IMO need a high impact, average-to-low involvement backrower in the mould of say Samo, Higgers, Palu, Auelua etc. And probably FTA or Taps at 12 for go forward

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Reds IMO need a high impact, average-to-low involvement backrower in the mould of say Samo, Higgers, Palu, Auelua etc. And probably FTA or Taps at 12 for go forward

Bairdy – Yes to a backrower like Samo, Palu, or Auelua. I probably wouldn't put Higgers in that wrecking-ball category (but still a quality player). The Tahs recruited Potgeiter to add to Palu in their pack. What about the Reds? They lack that grunt. Browning may add some of it but he could take a while to grow into the role.

Props? Anae would be in the mix but they could still look as a priority to recruit alongside him and Slipper in the front row (maybe even short-term), and Holmes could do with some competition.

In the backline, while there are good attacking skills (CFS), and solid defenders (FTA), there is not much actual go-forward in the mould of say an Ioane. Seemed like it was down to someone like Mike Harris in this game. Pick 3 out of 5 of the existing type of player in the backs, but they should then look to add some more go-forward.

I'd like to see a centre like Kerevi phased-in to be given a go ASAP this season. Ah Wong has in fact converted from a backrower to a back. He might be a longer-term 11. Dunno.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Better team won. Expected we was robbed whinge it was the ref reds thread again.
Getting boring just like the start to this season. Have watched all the games in some form or other but not feeling any rugby love yet.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Disappointing result but the negativity of some observers (can't bring myself to call you supporters) is wearisome.

The Sharks are, in a lot of peoples opinion, favoured to challenge the Chiefs for the title. They had home ground advantage yet it was two tries all. I thought the Reds dominated the second half and hung pretty tough for most of the first.

Penalties are a worry, seemed like they were giving them away all night. Not great when you have sharpshooters like Lambie and Steyn on the other side. Have to confess that I was a little mystified at a few of the refs calls but maybe my vision is slightly rose tinted? I thought the ref was ordinary. Beau's card was a real game changer IMO. Was it deserved?

Back to my point, some people need to take some happy pills and relax... a valiant effort by the Reds, and hopefully enough there to see them take the lollies next week.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ball handling and execution for fucksake!!

Good: Gill, Quirk, Genia

Hit/miss: Mike Harris, Shatz

Bad: Toua, Fainga'a, Holmes

The only reason we even got within a sniff is because the Sharks let us.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Loved the intensity the Reds showed. Our problem was we couldn't get the full 80 minute performance we needed. Beau's card was deserved. Commentators had spotted the Reds tactic of taking the space in the lineout then playing innocent. This time it went wrong and he paid the price.

I thought our exit game was very good.

The ref was just as poor as they have been all season frankly but that is no excuse as we blew some golden opportunities when they came our way.

Can we please stop trying to satisfy the Wallaby selectors and swap Holmes and Slipper as they should be.

Annoyed at the loss but still keeping the faith.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Just watched the game was a bit meh. Sharks did what had to be done.

Th whining about the ref in this thread is really ignoring the fact that the ref made mistakes both ways. He missed tow head high tackles by Reds players in the first half but I know Reds fans donut want to hear that.

Both teams seemed to think the offside line starts a meter deeper than it really does. The Sharks got nailed for it in the first half and then stopped doing it but the Reds took over in the second and lined up on the wrong side of the ruck. You are going to get pinged. Simple.

A Kiwi ref in this game would have made zero difference other than less moaning and groaning.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds given a lesson in breakdown play by the Shorks.

Shorks made and took opportunities.

Reds made opportunities but did not execute them.

Unable to withstand relentless pressure from Shorks back row, the Reds could have won but didn't. They should take some confidence from this game.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Our Reds displayed very similar flaws to numerous 2013 games: poor handling at crucial moments coupled with generally second rate forwards strength, intensity and accuracy. Many moments of good back line attack eradicated with the aforementioned unfixed flaws.

We're not improving our selections and technical skills rapidly enough to compete adequately with teams that have.

100 likes for this post.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought the reds played pretty well except for some of the execution issues.

The reds were pretty dominant for most of the game and I felt the scoreline didn't really do justice to how the two teams played.

Regarding the refereeing, I thought it was not that bad, and was certainly not the reason the reds lost. The handling and details are the difference.

I disagree (to a point) with @whatty, above regarding the better team won. I think the reds played a better game on the whole and were mostly the dominant team, but let themselves down with the execution and handling. I think if the reds had hung onto the ball a bit more, then I think the reds could well have won. But in the end (and this is where I have to agree with @whatty), the reds didn't control the ball well which means that the team that were able to hang onto the ball and therefore score more points won the game. And this the sharks were the better team. (How's that for contradicting myself!!!!!)

Fix up some of the handling issues, and we will be OK.

Maturity is the key - will the reds take a good look at themselves and accept that they have some things to fix up? Or will they look for outside excuses? Time will tell.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
For what its worth , my take
1. Sharks deserved to win, but
2.Reds could have easily won that match except for 3 bombed tries. Shitty hard hands - you expect nice soft hands at this level and the result would have been different
3. Ref OK but just seemed to ping the Reds a bit more ????
4. Lambie kicked perfectly from anywhere on the field.
5. Reds forwards generally at least on a par if not sluightly dominant. This was a surprise to me as the Sharks are supposed to be the best pack in S15
6. About Time Genia seemed to play with more enthusiasm than in the last year or two (even forgetting that snipe that resulted in the try).

The Sharks will not win the competition playing like that !!!

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Better team won. Expected we was robbed whinge it was the ref reds thread again.
Getting boring just like the start to this season. Have watched all the games in some form or other but not feeling any rugby love yet.

Don't think anyone is really bitching about the ref whatty. Some crappy decisions, but there are always going to be, and the reffing certainly didn't cost us the game - butchering 3 tries where the player just had to catch the ball & fall over the line and score did that, and no one is blaming the ref for it!

Reds looked alright, but Sharks got the win, good on them.

You might be able to clue us in - what was Jannie Du Plessis's conversation with the ref in afrikaans about - he sounded pretty animated!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Getting a chance to watch the game now. Damning that the first 6 penalties the Reds gave away were all kicked. You can't give any side 18 points and expect it to be easy. Dumb stuff.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watching the replay, in the first half it seems to me that the ref only looked at the Reds at the breakdown. Reds have real issues with their discipline, but some of the penalties against the Reds in their own half in particular were just very harsh.

Horwill's "high" tackle, two holding on penalties Coetzee "earned" (including one after a much higher tackle from Kankowski) are three in particular that cost the Reds dearly. Coetzee seemed to just have to bend over and touch the ball to earn a penalty. Even Saia's early penalty came after the Sharks players had left their feet by simply diving at the "ruck".

As a Reds supporter I may be a bit biased, but if I was Richard Graham I would be furious with two things: the 50/50s or inconsistencies all going to the Sharks, at least so far, and my own team's execution.

That being said, what has cost the Reds so far is their execution. Inability to hold onto their own ball and poor kicking and handling, particularly from Toua, made it very hard for the Reds.

Funny, all the talking up of the Sharks before the game, and in the first half the Reds were their own enemy more than the Sharks.

Match stats say that the Reds gave away 15 penalties. Whatever issues they are having with the ref, they need to improve that or they will lose to the Lions next week.

Let's see how the second half goes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Another penalty for holding on earnt from Coetzee, who was never on his feet at 43 minutes. If I was Coetzee, I would be loving this ref every week.

Reds stole the lineout, only for Toua to kick it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.